PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Waterford, Ireland

jayemm
2nd May 2006, 20:05
I've decided it's time to fly to Ireland and have picked Waterford to start with. In a Warrior. From Blackbushe. Stopping at Haverford West en route.
Any advice or information? Is the IMC valid in Ireland? I believe there are Special Branch procedures to follow etc. How daunting is that? Do I need to carry my passport?
PS. Have flown to France and Scilly Isles several times, so have some experience flying over the wet stuff.

IO540
2nd May 2006, 20:23
Went there in 2004.

The IFR privileges of the UK IMC Rating are not valid outside UK airspace.

You have to notify Special Branch on the way out and back in, and Immigration (I think) on the way back in.

You need to carry a passport.

It's a bit of a sleepy place. The people could not work out how to operate the fuel pump, and after filling me up they zeroed the count before they got a chance to look at it, and then we had a debate about how much they put in. Finally I was able to convince them that my flowmeter figure was more accurate than their (now lost) pump reading :O

No problems I would foresee.

dublinpilot
2nd May 2006, 20:57
You need to send your GAR form to Special Branch & Customs.

No need to fax immigration; the fax to Special Branch covers immigration too.

All Irish airports are PPR, so call ahead.

You'll need a flight plan because A) You're crossing an international FIR, and B) Because all flights within controlled airspace in Ireland require a flight plan, and Waterford is within controlled airspace.

B) Is important, because it means that you will need a flight plan for any internal flights you do from Waterford. If you do an internal flight within Ireland, and land at a non-towered (non ATC) airport, make sure you close your flight plan with Shannon 127.5. You MUST close flight plans within Ireland. You're ok landing at Waterford, because it's got a tower and will close it for you, PROVIDED you arrive during ATC hours. If you arrived when it's downgraded to AFIS, either close it before leaving Shannon frequency, or ask Waterford AFIS if they will close it for you, or if they will give you the phone number to close it yourself.

It sounds much more complicated that it is.

If you haven't picked a date to go, then may I suggest 15 July? Waterford Aeroclub are having their Annual BBQ then, and is sure to be a good evening.
Waterford Aeroclub BBQ (http://www.waterfordaeroclub.com/events/)

Waterford airport is about €20 in a taxi to Waterford city, if I remember correctly. Might be cheaper to hire a car for the day.

dp

DFC
2nd May 2006, 22:59
You need to carry a passport.

British or Irish Citizens do not need a passport.

Regards,

DFC

7gcbc
3rd May 2006, 04:31
You MUST close flight plans within Ireland.

and make sure you have the following information ready when at the holding point:

Captains Name, address date of birth, shoe size
Passengers Name, address, relation to Captain, if any, and shoe size
Fuel on Board, in both Gallons, Litres and estimated endurance.
Colour of your Tie, if any, if no Tie, then why?
1st Waypoint and ETA to same, as per Flight Plan.
Irish National Insurance (PRSI) Number, and don't make it up, the Guys in the tower will look it up in their manual to ensure you are who you say you are.
Full registration of Aircraft and engine cc.

Here's a Tip, if a RPT Ryan-dare or a cunning lingus scheduled is arriving within 30 mins either side of your departure, don't bother even starting the engine, cos they'll make you wait.

and don't buy anything from the guys in caravans parked near the Apron at Waterford, even if they throw in a dog for free....... :p

dublinpilot
3rd May 2006, 08:02
Sound like someone didn't lodge their flight plan one hour before departure, and Waterford helpfully took their details over the r/t?

Could that be the case 7gcbc?

British or Irish Citizens do not need a passport.

Quite correct, but they must be able to prove that they are British or Irish Citizens! A passport is the easiest and most hassle free way of doing this.

If it were me, I'd bring a passport. When I travel to the UK, I always do.

If met by special branch on return to the UK, they want to see it.

dp

7gcbc
3rd May 2006, 09:02
dp,

You're quite correct of course, I was referring to EIKY and Shannon CTR transit, a few years ago now , but I seem to recall they had air-corps ATC, is this still the case ? Maybe they've chilled since then ?

A passport is not legally required, but it is *the* most hassle free method of show ze paperien to the SB. (depends on who you get of course)

cirrus01
3rd May 2006, 13:38
Waterford............ was visiting last week. Sounds complicated, but in fact they were very relaxed... ( even the bit about a serviceable Transponder, in their Class C airspace :D )

Think at the moment there is only 2 Scheduled commercial flights per day, the morning and evening Aer Arran ATR s to Luton.

Asked and went up to the Tower where a very helpfull Controller gave us some advice about local flying and other destinations in Ireland.

If you are looking for a good destination try Kilkenny...............

See....http://www.flickr.com/photos/38347788@N00/138543200/in/pool-37996573424@N01/

Enjoy ! ;)

Rgds Cirrus01

Bluebeard777
3rd May 2006, 21:40
You can have a very relaxed tour around Ireland without entering any controlled airspace, so avoid any one-hour-flight-plans stuff and just go wherever takes your fancy or wx permits ......
Start perhaps at Kilkenny as suggested above.

DFC
3rd May 2006, 22:48
Quite correct, but they must be able to prove that they are British or Irish Citizens! A passport is the easiest and most hassle free way of doing this.
If it were me, I'd bring a passport. When I travel to the UK, I always do.
If met by special branch on return to the UK, they want to see it.
dp

Your pilot licence includes date, place of birth and nationality. It also includes your address.

A driving licence can also suffice.

if the SB get smarmy about the paperwork, simply ask them if they would like to stand at a border crossing in South Armagh and insist every person going about their normal daily business carry a passport. :D

Regards,

DFC

dublinpilot
4th May 2006, 08:45
DFC,

We aren't disagreeing. I'm just trying to highlight some of the practicalities.

Unfortunately a JAA PPL doesn't have any photo, so PC Plod would be perfectly justified in querying it. All it proves is that it's owner is a citizen of a certain country, and not that the person holding it is.

A driving licence is acceptable. But you could well have someone who isn't familiar with that meet you. A trip down to the local station while they try to find the relevant regulations and satisfy themselves, is likely to waste a couple of hours, and will ruin your day.

I have only been met by special branch once, and they wanted to take my passport details (despite them being faxed to them). If I didn't have my passport with me, but instead produced a pilots licence or driving licence, I'm sure something would have been sorted in the end, but it would probably have taken a long time. Having my passport made it all quick and easy.

As I say, we aren't disagreeing on the legal position, only on the practicalities.

dp

jayemm
4th May 2006, 21:49
Dublin Pilot and Others

Thanks for the information. I'm planning to go on Sunday 28 May, there and back. I might treat this as the practice run for the BBQ on 15 July.

The need for a Flight Plan is noted.

I'll take the passport as it is usually the ultimate solution for any official.

Do you know of any points of particular interest (to view from the plane) on the coastline around Waterford?

The 5Q
5th May 2006, 07:32
Hi jayemm

Worth giving Waterford afew days notice on PPR due to restricted parking, especially if you plan to stay over the weekend.

www.flywaterford.com
www.waterfordtourism.org

If you wish to fly from Waterford to a non-controlled airfield ie Kilkenny, Kilrush you only need to file a local flight plan with ATC over the radio when you start up for you flight in the Waterford CTR (POB, Fuel Endurance, Elapsed time to zone boundry). At 10 miles you close this plan and are free to fly where ever you want in the Shannon FIR.

When landing in Waterford, regardless of service your flight plan will be automatically closed by the Waterford ATS

Windy Militant
5th May 2006, 13:10
Last time I heard someone ask this question the response from "The boys at the Bush" Was get a time table and then start off about an hour* after the ferry has left. That way if you have problems half way over you haven't got so far to swim. it also helps if the viz is a bit clarty as well.

*Now they've got a HSS doing the run. The brave soul with the aircamper was told to start three quaters of an hour before it left because he'd not catch it! ;)

Bluebeard777
5th May 2006, 17:03
Jayemm

They may not all be suitable for your Warrior (:} ) but there's a new VFR flight guide for Ireland being published (see http://www.learn2fly.ie/VFR%20Guide.htm) which apparently contains details of 129 airports/fields/strips - these should keep your short field techniques up to scratch! :ok:

dublinpilot
5th May 2006, 17:50
Do you know of any points of particular interest (to view from the plane) on the coastline around Waterford?

Can't think of much. Sorry.

The ONLY thing I can think of is Hook Head. It can be really pretty on a nice sunny day. Have you heard of the phrase to do somthing "by hook or by crooke"? This phrase came from Cromwells plan to capture Waterford town from either Hook Head or the nearby Crooke Head.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/681/hookhead1r4il.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3339/hookhead3r2qn.jpg

Sorry, can't time of anything better!

If you decide to go to the Waterford BBQ, then let me know! I plan to make the trip down too.

dp

Aussie Andy
5th May 2006, 18:21
Looks like this really is the year for going to Ireland somehow!! :)

dp, as always a wealth of local information!!

cirrus01 - love your photos of Kilkenny, and have a trip planned there for weekend of 8/9 July... picked it with a pin, so to speak, but your photos relaly have me drooling in anticipation now! :p

Andy :ok:

jayemm
6th May 2006, 12:58
Aussie Andy

Looks like this really is the year for going to Ireland somehow!!

Maybe, but your comment made me wonder why people focus on France like I did, and far fewer people think of making the trip to our nearest English speaking neighbour!

Is it distance, or something else?

dublinpilot
6th May 2006, 13:30
I'm guessing it's because

a) The largest concentration of the population in the UK is in the south east. Much closer to France than Ireland.
b) The water crossing is much shorter.
c) There is ,at least a perception, that the food and weather is better in France.
d) People like to come to Ireland for the crack and the drink. Drinking doesn't really mix to well with flying.

Of course there are many advantages to coming to Ireland too, but that wasn't part of your question ;)

I hope you enjoy your trip!

dp

Aussie Andy
6th May 2006, 15:52
I agree with the reasons suggested by dp on the whole... I think I have always been concerned about the sh1te weather! I find I am a nit more confident in poor weather the longer I have been flying, and since getting my IMC (which I know I can't legally use on the Emerald Isle!), but it does mean less anxiety on the subject of weather. And the water crossings are longer. But the rewards seem to be worth it ;) Roll on July and Kilkenny!

Andy :ok: