PDA

View Full Version : best-likead approaches

grimmrad
2nd May 2006, 16:43
Hi there,
I am in no means a pilot, just curious in aviation matters. Based in the US I sometimes go to DC Reagan national and just love the approach along the river and the great view on the Mall and the heart of DC (just flew in during the cherry blossom peak - spectacular). Now I wonder - do pilots enjoy it as well or is it just stressfull to do that approach. What approaches to which airports do you enjoy, which ones not?
Thanks

Rainboe
3rd May 2006, 18:36
Hong Kong whichever airfield, the old and the new are lovely. Seychelles is something special- sheer gaspingingly nice. Mauritius great too. San Francisco incredibly scenic approach (coming in from the north). LAX for sheer hysterical business, and scenic, but barely time to look, Anchorage because of its special light (and scenery), and Alicante because it means I'm arriving on holiday!

seacue
3rd May 2006, 22:39
The approach to runway 19 at KDCA has good sightseeing, expecially if you are on the port side of the aircraft. But it's probably a stressful approach for pilots. The HAVE to stay over the river to avoid prohibited areas and there is a 30-degree turn about one mile from touchdown. That's at less than 500-ft altitude most of the time. http://tinyurl.com/fkwjk

skywerd
4th May 2006, 01:30
Yes, we do love the various approaches. Rwy 19 @ DCA, while demanding, is really, really scenic from up front. Most of us really enjoy the various approaches, for instance, like the Expressway Visual to 31 at LGA.
Again, while demanding, most of us enjoy the challenge, especially as it relates to approaches different from the typical 3 degree, straight-in approaches which we do ad nauseum.
And btw, I have heard there are guys out there who no longer enjoy the things we see, like sunrises, sunsets and spectacular cloud formations, but I have yet to fly with one!
'Hope this answers your question!:ok:
Skywerd

moku
4th May 2006, 09:35
RWY 02 OGG, nice view of the hills. Actually any of the airports in the Hawaiin Islands was nice. Now it has to be the Steep Approach into LCY RWY 10. Great views of the centre of london.

Moku.:)

4th May 2006, 09:42
London City 10

Been there, done it, never get bored of it.

grimmrad
4th May 2006, 14:33
Thanks guys for the answers so far, pleasure to read!

FLCH
5th May 2006, 21:45
The best approch for me personally is into EWR......it means I'm going home after this approach !!

Jerricho
6th May 2006, 00:58
Not so much favorite, but certainly memorable was in a 777 landing at Grenada. Went abeam the airfield in a right hand downwind over the water at about 5000ish feet. I remember looking out the window thinking "Ain't no way we're landing on that!!!". Then I thought "And they certainly ain't no way we're getting out" ;)

tinpis
6th May 2006, 01:16
This place was pretty once you found it !

http://www.oceandots.com/pacific/png/m/112-5476.jpg

Jerricho
6th May 2006, 01:20
Where's that then Tinnie? NE or NW of YPDN?

tinpis
6th May 2006, 02:28
Bout 120 nm NW of Wewak Jerri

Fantastic dive spot :ok:

http://www.wuvulu.com/images/map-png-wi2.gif

747-436
6th May 2006, 06:08
As Rainboe says San Francisco from the north is fantastic. Was lucky enough to be on the Jumpseat of a 747-400 in summer 1997 into there.

vapilot2004
6th May 2006, 08:11
While KLAS during west ops is pretty cool - my favorite (in a smaller craft) is still MTH - Marathon Florida - either direction - I do admit, knowing I'm in for some fun, fishing, lovely shrimp bisque and a fresh fish sandwich might add to the appeal.

River visual into DCA is indeed very nice :) - and as a young lad, I've found myself sitting by the Potomac watching those aircraft approaching 19 and found the dramatic turn close in fascinating as well :ok:

revik
6th May 2006, 09:46
Have to agree with 5150 - the 10 steep approach into LCY has to be one of THE great approaches anywhere now that Kai Tak is long gone. There's something en route to spot for everyone: The Oval (cricketers), Victoria and Waterloo Stations (trainspotters), Buckingham Palace (Royal watchers), Houses of Parliament (politicos), the London Eye (BA Shareholders), the GPO tower (ageing hippies), Westminster Abbey and St Pauls (religious) and the Tower of London (historians) before the dirty dive through (well, above for safety's sake) the tower blocks of Canary Wharf. :ok:

Rainboe
6th May 2006, 09:46
I used to enjoy Philadelphia back in the 80s- the long approach over the river with all those reserve ships moored up- battleships like the Ohio and carriers and cruisers by the bagload, all just parked there. Fascinating. The Caribbean is good- Barbados, Grenada, Antigua....knowing a big cold rum punch is shortly to meet its maker!

Rudder Pedals
6th May 2006, 20:01
The approach into Chambery is fantastic, always a pleasure to fly it.

Golf Charlie Charlie
6th May 2006, 20:05
St Bartholomey in a Twin Otter takes some beating.

Agree with the rest re: LCY, DCA, SFO, PHL. The Canarsie approaches to JFK's 13L or R can sometimes have a few thrills and spills. Almost any approach into LGA, SAN, plus EDI from the east and LPL from the west also have nothing to be ashamed about. Finally, there's INN.