PDA

View Full Version : Commemoration of the Life of Sir Sydney Camm

Stevemcmli
2nd May 2006, 01:09
March 2006 saw the 40th anniversary of the death of Sir Sydney Camm. We (the organisers of which I am one) would like to make PPRuNers aware of forthcoming events, which may be of particular interest to any who have driven or worked on Hawker aircraft.
Camm grew up and was educated in Windsor, in fact his illustrious career began designing and building model aeroplanes as a member of the Windsor Model Aeroplane Club. In terms of recognition, Camm’s name has never been given the same exposure as that of RJ Mitchell. To redress the balance we members of the local Air Training Corps Squadron have committed ourselves to marking the life of Camm and his contribution to aviation. To this end we have defined two elements to the planned events.
A commemorative service will take place at St John the Baptist Church, High St., Windsor on Friday 21st July at 15:00. To this service will be invited Camm’s family, his former colleagues, representatives of various service associations etc. Following the church service, a plaque commemorating Camm’s life will be unveiled. It is hoped that a flypast by a Hawker Hurricane of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight** will then take place.
In addition to the above event, we would like to establish a permanent and substantial reminder of Camm’s achievements. Currently the sole visible reminder is a blue plaque on the wall of Camm’s former home.
If you wish to attend please notify my fellow organiser, Flt Lt. Stuart Leigh-Davies RAFVRT, either by post at c/o Redmayne Bentley Stockbrokers, 14 Park St, Windsor SL4 1LU, or PM me, or via email at [email protected] we can manage the numbers attending.
** In planning stage - Subject to suitable weather and Heathrow Air Traffic Control considerations.