PDA

View Full Version : RAFVR(T) to R(Aux)AF Commission

mitch5075
1st May 2006, 19:49
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a RAFVR(T) commission to the R(Aux)AF and what the procedure would be. I am told that the Army have an ad hoc system in place for their ACF officers to transfer their commission to the TA, but have never heard of this with the RAF.

FormerFlake
1st May 2006, 20:16
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a RAFVR(T) commission to the R(Aux)AF and what the procedure would be. I am told that the Army have an ad hoc system in place for their ACF officers to transfer their commission to the TA, but have never heard of this with the RAF.

As far as I know you would have to do it the normal way, like anybody else.

airborne_artist
1st May 2006, 20:20
It would be hard to imagine that the lads/lasses in RAuxAF would be too impressed once they found out how the boss had got his/her commission.

My reservist service was in a regt that put all former regular officers in the ranks for two years before they got to a commisssioning board...

mitch5075
1st May 2006, 21:54
Could a RAFVR(T) officer not complete the ROIT course at Cranwell? And would that qualify him/her?

wub
2nd May 2006, 09:13
An RAFVR(T) Officer has to undergo the same selection process as anyone else applying for a commission in the R(Aux) AF and, if selected has then to undergo exactly the same training. RAFVR(T) service counts for nowt in this case.

Descend to What Height?!?
2nd May 2006, 09:42
Mitch,
as other posters have said, you would have to go through the full selection and training proceedure. There is a lot more to it than a 2 week ROIT course at Cranwell. That is the end confirmation stage of a 12 month plus process that starts with passing the full OASC. If you passed OASC, you would under go a lengthy training process on you home RAuxAF unit.
The current ROIT course is in 3 phases, and covers the same items as the regular IOT, but delevered in a different way over a much longer time span. A lot of the accademics is done via distance learning. You also have ressidential phases covering basic military skills and leadership. It is not an attendence course, and many fail or drop out of this course. OACTU will not graduate you, unless you reach their high standards.

Contact your local RAuxAF Sqn for details.

Good luck with your application, the Reserve Air Forces (of all types) need good Officers as they become more intergrated with the rest of the RAF.

Squirrel 41
2nd May 2006, 17:03
Mitch, hi

DTWH is spot-on. If you want to join the RAuxAF as an Officer, you need to find a RAuxAF unit, get selected to join them, get pinged as an officer candidate, pass the regular branch selection test requirements, pass the rest of OASC, and then do the ROIT course (or whatever suceeds it). This all reflects increasing the professionalisation of the RAuxAF, which has to be a good thing.

The major point to note here is that the most - though not all - RAuxAF units have relatively few commissioned slots, and they often promote from the ranks. As a result, it may not always be possible to join direct as an officer. Pls PM if you want to discuss.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

S41

Ops and Mops
2nd May 2006, 23:30
In addition to the good gen given above, I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer given HERE (http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4013)