PDA

View Full Version : MS Flight Sim is it Helpful??

AllInGoodTime
1st May 2006, 10:57
What are your thoughts on this one. Haven't flown for a while (18months) but have just got a hold of MS flight sim 2004, do you think it helps refreshing the old head before you jump back into the aircraft again. Also do you find it helpful for IFR refreshing aswell?

Cheers

Crashtruk
1st May 2006, 11:07
Yes and no. I think it helps with things like cockpit familiarisation and starup procedures (assuming the virtual plane matches the real one). On the other hand it can teach you bad habits. I had to learn to look out side more and not fixate on the instruments ( I am VFR after all). Any practice is good practice. I like to do lots of circuits on the puter. Rudder pedals and a Track IR also help wwith the immersion. Gotta love Pacific fighters for a bit of stress relief as well.:E

Crashtruk
"you crash em, we splash em"

rmcdonal
1st May 2006, 11:12
Seems better the the old MK6:}
It cant hurt your IF skills (after 18months) but only if you treat it like you would the real thing. Things like remebering cowl flaps, power settings, and just generaly how to do an appch the right way. The actual hands on part is a fair bit wide of the mark (but hey how much does it cost for a full motion 737 sim these days?)

The Bunglerat
1st May 2006, 11:16
I've been a big advocate of MS Flight Sim as a training aid for many years. However, it can be either useful or useless, depending on how you intend to use it - and needless to say you'd want to invest some considerable time learning the full capabilities of the software to really get the most out of it.

Don't ever kid yourself that it will develop your stick-&-rudder skills. Even with a top-of-the-line joystick or yoke/rudder set-up, it still leaves a lot to be desired in this respect. As an Instructor, I used to cringe when wannabes with zero flight experience would walk into the flying school on weekends, and boast that they'd have no trouble getting a licence because they had Flight Sim on their PC. These guys had just enough knowledge to be dangerous once I got them airborne for a trial flight.

On the other hand, I've found it to be indispensible as an IFR training tool, i.e. improving basic scan, situational awareness with respect to aids, etc. Granted, you won't be logging it, but anything that helps enhance your procedural knowledge can only help when it comes time to jump in the real machine. In this context I would thoroughly recommend it.

john_tullamarine
1st May 2006, 11:42
Two observations (and I have little knowledge of, or experience with, MS FS)

(a) I took two of my work colleagues along on a 733 sim ride some years ago .. they were both mad keen MS FS players but had nil time in aeroplanes .. during the break I gave them each a quick circuit and an ILS .. and (I tell no lies) they flew the box a good deal better than I did on my first endorsement ride some years earlier in the same box (I came off the three holer and was not too bad a hand at the stick and rudder bit ..) ... certainly gave me some food for thought ..

(b) a very experienced colleague routinely used MS FS to maintain IF procedural currency and he swore by it ..

I guess that it should be a cheap way of getting/keeping the hand in if the attitude of the user is sensible.

404 Titan
1st May 2006, 12:00
Just as those synthetic trainers that most flying schools use are very beneficial during your initial IFR training, so is MS Flight sim or any other PC or MAC based synthetic trainer in keeping you proficient between flights, practicing before a renewal or looking at an approach before going into an airport for the first time. Just don’t log it. I fly A340’s and A330’s now but still keep my Aussie IF rating ticking over by doing a renewal every 20 – 22 months. I don’t fly lighties that much so I need all the help I can get. By jumping on my computer prior to heading down to Australia gets me completely up to speed on dials. Works like a dream. :ok:

disco_air
1st May 2006, 12:50
:mad: oath its useful.

Doing an approach tomorrow you havent done before?

Flight sim

Doing a renewal / CIR test / training flight tomorrow?

Flight sim

Puts all the tracks, turns, timing, altitudes, minimas in your head.

Doesnt seem to help me with any sort of visual reference flying, manipulation or emergencies however. Navgating the cockpit with a mouse or joystick buttons just isnt the same :{

But yes, dont log it :}

...Disco

Cloud Cutter
1st May 2006, 21:50
No arguments here then!

I agree with everyone, Flight Sim is a very useful tool, particularly to supplement IFR training and currency.

It can also be useful if you're doing a type rating in a complex aircraft, but you have to get hold of a good add-on aircraft. Eg it can be good for practicing using FMS and auto pilot.

Buster Hyman
1st May 2006, 22:33
I also found Doom 3 quite good for keeping my "Demon spawn arse kicking" skills up to speed, for my next visit to Mars!

;) :ok:

rmcdonal
1st May 2006, 22:39
I also found Doom 3 quite good for keeping my "Demon spawn arse kicking" skills up to speed, for my next visit to Mars!
I was wondering where you came from. :E :} :ouch:

Merlins Magic
1st May 2006, 23:25
Please correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure you will), but I do recall reading several years ago that Flight Sim 2004 had been made to such a high standard that in the US, the FAA approved it for use as a synthetic at flying schools across the US for the initial IF training as long as appropriate controls were attached. I believe they also approved that time as loggable.

Any thoughts?

MM

locknut
2nd May 2006, 01:09
I believe MS Flight Sim to be very good for IFR renewals and Basic IF but it can be very detrimental to new pilots and uncurrent pilots. The hardest thing to teach a new pilot is the ability to recognize an attitude and use that combined with power to get the desired performance. There are a number of factors to be considered here:

- Were you an experienced pilot to begin with?
- Could the time be better spent relearning the aircraft systems, local and emergency procedures (which will most definately need to be demonstrated and assessed)
- Did you once hold an IR? Will you be training to get the rating back or just VFR flying to begin with?

I believe that if you have less than 300hrs and haven't flown in 18 months, you would be better off to remain clear of MS Flight Sim, focus on the study side of it so you don't develop nasty habits before you get back into the cockpit. ANd enjoy it :ok:

The Bunglerat
2nd May 2006, 01:33
Locknut makes an excellent point that I hinted at earlier, but didn't express quite so well: If you're already a qualified pilot, MS Flight Sim can be a fantastic resource. If not a pilot, it can often do more harm than good - like I said, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Buster Hyman
2nd May 2006, 03:05
Touche' :ok:

AllInGoodTime
2nd May 2006, 09:33
Thanks for all the responses.
To answer locknut and The Bunglerat, i am not that far off 1000hrs and have about 5 IFR renewals behind me.

Cheers

Ultralights
2nd May 2006, 09:46
I use FS to run through planed navs before the actual flight date, to get familiar with the track, navaids etc, plan possible diversions and with the new VistaOZ scenery, get an idea of what the terrain out the window should look like. or when the weather is bad, get on FS download the real weather and mess around in IMC with strong winds etc etc.

Prop's ????
2nd May 2006, 10:27
I added the 737NG;

I run the full LOE and IR before each sim.

Helps with setting up approaches, flying the approach, and what to look for.

Cloud Cutter
2nd May 2006, 22:56
MM, yip that's right. The flight model and graphics engines are much better than similar products used in approved synthetic training devices in Aus and NZ. There are several fixed base Boeing sims in NZ built by Flight Experience (http://www.flightexperience.co.nz/Home) which use FS2004, and are very good. They are approved by NZCAA so can be used for IFR training and currency.