PDA

View Full Version : SAS Documentary

STANDTO
30th Apr 2006, 09:01
Last night, whilst hopping channels, I happened upon a documentary aboout the SAS, called Ultimate Force. Didn't watch the end credits, but the sgt looked very like that bloke out of Eastenders.

Anyway, just shows how out of touch i am with the modern military. Not only does the regiment now have fully integrated female troopers (as opposed to Int staff) -- YOU ARE ALLOWED TO SHARE SHOWERS WITH THEM:ok:

Is this just a trial programme, or is it something that is likely to be rolled out through the forces. I would expect a pick up in recruitment very shortly.

All in all, an excellent documentary, with some very candid shots. Well done to the Regt for being so open, and well done to the CGI bods for recronstructing an Albert line so well for the Lyneham recronstructions

Wyler
30th Apr 2006, 09:16
You will find more in depth analysis on Jet Blast.

SASless
30th Apr 2006, 12:11
Having been to Afghanistan with that very group....heheheheheheh!:ok:

Pontius Navigator
30th Apr 2006, 12:49
Standto, where have you been? Were you joking?

Ultimate Force is now in its 3rd series. You are right that they must have MOD approval as the shots of the C130J looked spot on. Were all the shots of the J or were there K shots mixed in?

Looked good but there were some improbable scenes where runners were able to outmanoeuvre cars. Not quite sure how the baddies were that inept.

The sniper dual was interesting given the spread in the Sunday Torygraph that the army is to reintroduce sniper platoons in each battalion.

STANDTO
30th Apr 2006, 12:56
yes, tongue was firmly in cheek.

I didn't see any of the last series, and couldn't quite work out where the woman fitted in. of particular interest would have been where Ross Kemp begrudgingly accepted she was up to the job, with som monosylabbic, monotone dialogue.

Can anyone remember when they last showered with a colleague of the opposite sex, within the parameters of QR's?:confused:

Pontius Navigator
30th Apr 2006, 14:02
You missed a treat in the 2nd series. She went through selection with the blokes including the interogation and plenty of naked flesh.

There was a shower scene, I forget the detail, but her put down was an epic.

Logistics Loader
30th Apr 2006, 19:26
IIRC the were K and J shots mixed....

Also, as they were going training with GSG 9 , then diverted by HQ Ops to Former Red Area,,, they were already rigged for airdrop with the 47 Alpine Division lurking in the background....

For those of us in the know and with background knowledge when the call came in to divert it was a "gucci" flight deck with skipper at the wheel, then cut to back end and it was a "K"...

Oh Well, at least the bare flesh was real in the shower !!!!

mutleyfour
1st May 2006, 06:55
I particularly liked the scene where the camera focussed on each person running through the woods. Trouble was that they were simply running on the spot. That was pricelesss.

Martin4
1st May 2006, 08:45
SAS drama not documentory :ok:, now on its 4th series. Program made by ex SAS corporal Chris Ryan (Bravo Two Zero member). Great program! I recomend buying the previous series on DVD from ebay or something, there great.

Here's a little preview of what the other episodes are:

Changing of the Guard - With newly appointed Captain Fleming in place, Red Troop are dispatched to a former soviet state in a race to save the kidnapped daughters of a British diplomat. As the rest of the troop track the armed rebels through dense forest, an injured Henno is left behind at base where he comes to suspect there is a mole amongst them...
Charlie Bravo - Red Troop fly to Colombia to train a hapless contingent of local soldiers for an upcoming assault on a cocaine factory. Without warning, the mission is brought forward and Henno begins to suspect a hidden agenda. Will Red Troop be able to save this shambolic platoon from certain death?
The Dividing Line - Red Troop are drafted in with their American counterparts to apprehend an infamous Al-Qaeda terrorist in the White Mountains of Afghanistan. Tensions run high as the troops battle for control. Can they overcome their rivalry in time to stop the terrorist before he implements his co-ordinated attacks against the West?
Violent Solutions - Red Troop monitor a suspected weapons dealer who leads them into an armed stand-off with an East End drugs gang. When the gang hijack a tour bus, Becca places herself in the line of fire. Can Red Troop stop the hijackers before Becca`s true identity is revealed?
Slow Bomb - When a routine security check on a nuclear power plant goes disastrously wrong, Red Troop find themselves hunting the mercenaries responsible for stealing weapons grade plutonium. As London is shut down, Red Troop race to stop the detonation of a dirty bomb and the certain devastation of the capital.Martin :ok:

threepointonefour
1st May 2006, 08:58
I think someone needs to get out a little more ...

Martin4
1st May 2006, 08:59
LOL, hey, i like the show - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Force

Brewster Buffalo
1st May 2006, 09:00
.....snip..
Here's a little preview of what the other episodes are:
Changing of the Guard - With newly appointed Captain Fleming in place, Red Troop are dispatched to a former soviet state in a race to save the kidnapped daughters of a British diplomat. As the rest of the troop track the armed rebels through dense forest, an injured Henno is left behind at base where he comes to suspect there is a mole amongst them...
Charlie Bravo - Red Troop fly to Colombia to train a hapless contingent of local soldiers for an upcoming assault on a cocaine factory. Without warning, the mission is brought forward and Henno begins to suspect a hidden agenda. Will Red Troop be able to save this shambolic platoon from certain death?
The Dividing Line - Red Troop are drafted in with their American counterparts to apprehend an infamous Al-Qaeda terrorist in the White Mountains of Afghanistan. Tensions run high as the troops battle for control. Can they overcome their rivalry in time to stop the terrorist before he implements his co-ordinated attacks against the West?
Violent Solutions - Red Troop monitor a suspected weapons dealer who leads them into an armed stand-off with an East End drugs gang. When the gang hijack a tour bus, Becca places herself in the line of fire. Can Red Troop stop the hijackers before Becca`s true identity is revealed?
Slow Bomb - When a routine security check on a nuclear power plant goes disastrously wrong, Red Troop find themselves hunting the mercenaries responsible for stealing weapons grade plutonium. As London is shut down, Red Troop race to stop the detonation of a dirty bomb and the certain devastation of the capital.
room for one more episode perhaps??6 Dead Duck - Red Troop are to race to 10 Downing Street...can they save the Prime Minister and his legacy as his ministers blunder and bluster through crisis after crisis....Henno had only two words to say..."Mission Impossible" and heads for the shower instead..:D

rafloo
1st May 2006, 09:04
Anyone recall the name of that Wren that went through selection? I think she wrote a book about her experoences but can't remember her name....Sarah something or other

Maple 01
1st May 2006, 09:08
You mean it's not real? :{

JessTheDog
1st May 2006, 09:08
Wasn't the "hero" of the series the same bloke who was beaten up by his missus? I am surprised it didn't appear in the Sun....

WE Branch Fanatic
1st May 2006, 09:16
rafloo

The wren was 14 int, not SAS. An AEM I seem to remember......

airborne_artist
1st May 2006, 09:21
Some will remember a wondrous piece of cinematic magic called "Who Dares Wins", starring Lewis Collins.

The producers were wangled into showing it in the drill hall at 21's HQ in the old Duke of Yorks on the Kings Road, and Collins came to the showing. Imagine his disappointment when no-one thronged round him for autographs, and then laughed at the high cheese content lines he uttered in his vain attempt to look the part in the movie.

The sight of him afterwards, drink in hand, with no-one talking to him while the rest of the party was in full swing, was quite something. :E

rafloo
1st May 2006, 09:24
Jess the dog. Good post. But Sir, can I refer you to this web site please?

http://www.urban75.com/Action/libel.html

Maple 01
1st May 2006, 09:41
Just to rush to Jess' defence here

Fact: Said Sun journo had run a campaign in paper against domestic violence
(Like anyone's really 'for it')

Fact: Police called to disturbance involving journo and her partner - journo arrested and later released without charge

Fact: The story barely, if at all made The Sun

I seem to remember reading that the major problem the police face when dealing with spouse abuse* is the victims unwillingness to press charges –“he/she didn't mean it, he/she loves me really”. Another problem is that wives/girlfriends hitting blokes is still seen as something of a joke in society - I remember an Int Corps mate of mine who was regularly given a good shoeing by his very petite wife – very funny, until he ended up in hospital

Changing the subject slightly, at least Lewis Collins was a TA Para which is more than can be said for 'Grunt' - unless anyone knows better?

*See? I have done the EO course

airborne_artist
1st May 2006, 10:03
I'm not certain that LC got very far with his TA career. I can't find any evidence that he got his para wings, and it's fairly certain that his PR would make much of it if it was the case. He did ask to join 23, I think, and was told not he could not take it further by the regt.

SASless
1st May 2006, 14:02
Post Ex-Fil from Afghanistan.....

http://www.huey.co.uk/galleryhuey/83.jpg

airborne_artist
1st May 2006, 14:27
My, they look tough!

They wouldn't know long drag if they woke up next to it...:E

Which UK quarry was that episode shot in?

fantaman
1st May 2006, 16:23
Did anyone else notice the Agusta 109 flying around with the gear tucked away looking all clean? Then when the camera switches to the bad guys then back to the chopper the gear has magically lowered! Then when they discover the wreckage the helo looks like it has a fixed undercarriage?

The fellow running through the woods with the little girl was priceless! How bad did that look!

More J's, K's, Grey and Green Herc's than you could shake a stick at! Not to mention the UK military's latest acquisition of a grey Bell 206L Long Ranger parked on the parade square!

Have a word Henno! :}

Guernsey Girl II
1st May 2006, 16:35
One of the ‘VASS’ guys told me when we were detached down To Lynham to hold SAR during the unheard of week long Scottish skiing season in Feb. That the ITV lot had taken over bits of the pan last August Bank Holiday weekend. All of the ‘well hard’ Thesps were ‘bussed’ around in Hummers!