PDA

View Full Version : University with Cabair interview HELP

Daultonio
29th Apr 2006, 15:44
Hi all might i say that this is a great website.
Iam off to Cranfield for a interview with cabair for flight training for a ATPL, i got in through a new course that has been done at the Buckingmanshire University where i go to lectures but also do the flying with them. Does anyone know or been on this course if so could you please help me about my interview what is involved what is the course like etc THANKS :\

T's & P's
29th Apr 2006, 20:32
Agree - awesome website - bin a spectator for 2 years but never felt the need to post through lack of stuff to contribute, nows my chance!

I'm a students at BCUC just rounding off the first year on what has to be a fantastic and unique course!

The interveiw process itself i felt was fairly breif - you get to speak with Keren Caird the sales and marketing manager and if he's there John Furley the course leader. Mainly its based around the assessment: basic maths and physics tests followed by an aptitude test - i won't give too much away as that defeats the object of you going in the first place!

As for the course, many of the 37 potential pilots are really enjoying it as far as i know, very balanced between degree material and the flying itself (although as always subject to british weather). Everyones from different backgrounds yet get a long great, understand theres 250 applicants next year so probably more competition for places then for my entry year.

The flying at Denham's done very professionally and cant fault the instructors on a single thing - great bunch of people, good sense of humour etc - all you'd want in an instructor basically

Just a few moans and groans but that can be put down to teething problems and just me in general

Good luck in the interview and your application, maybe be seeing some of you applicants in the future!

Pilot PW
29th Apr 2006, 20:35
Hey there

My names Ricky i'm one of the 37 students on the 'air transport with commercial pilot training' course at bcuc this year. Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

At my interview at cranfield I was given a tour of the place by some of the students and got to sit in some of the planes that we'll be flying next year. You have to sit a math then a physics paper then take your aptitude test. Once thats all done you have your interview where you talk through your results and the next steps. I don't know if thats how it was for everyone but thats my story.

Ive really enjoyed the course so far the flying has been fantastic the instructors at denham are top notch. Were quite a close class we have nights out together so i'm sure you'll love it. Were off to finish our flying out in Florida soon yay!

hope that helps

Ricky xx

Daultonio
30th Apr 2006, 09:11
thanks for that that is alot of help to me, is the interview a horrible 40min chat where they ask about your life and why you want to be a pilot does anyone know cheers asking so much only worried thanks??

speedrestriction
30th Apr 2006, 11:12
The last time you went to buy a car or a T.V. did the salesman have to interview you? I think not. The schools obviously have to root out people who have no chance of making it, but for all other people it is worth remembering that:

YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER

sr :ok:

(edited for dodgy punctuation)

GrahamK123
30th Apr 2006, 11:52
Although going down that way of thinking you could ask why you have to be interviewed to go to Oxbridge.... afterall you are the paying customer....

Daultonio
30th Apr 2006, 11:54
nice to hear but i will be ready for anything i suppose, thanks all very much any other information much loved to hear, by the way iam revising my maths and physics anything particular i need to know thanks

Ringway004
30th Apr 2006, 12:03
:) Glad to hear someone is also goin to bcuc. I'm at college at the moment and finishing off my A levels, but i've taken the assessment/interview test at cranfield and passed:) , don't wry i woz also nervous before i went, but it's just basic GCSE maths n physics test (formulas, algebra,nimber trignometrty etc...) and then a pilapt computer aptitude test. I'm hopin to get my a level points and finally my medical so look forward to startin this september, so excited can't wait!

speedrestriction
30th Apr 2006, 21:18
Although going down that way of thinking you could ask why you have to be interviewed to go to Oxbridge.... afterall you are the paying customer....

I would argue that this parallel is a but tenuous.
You leave college with a academic qualification which has potential value for the remainder of your working life. You will soon learn that in professional aviation, and particularly until you get a salaried flying position, you are constantly working to maintain licence validity (renewals, medicals, exams etc).

The point I am making is that you must be prepared to push the FTOs to give you the best possible service so that you can secure the best possible future for yourself. It is easy (particularly in integrated schools) to get into the mindset that the FTOs hold all the cards. They don't. This is something that anyone who is considering starting flight training needs to hear.

sr

GrahamK123
30th Apr 2006, 21:22
fair point and point taken.

Daultonio
1st May 2006, 17:58
what sort of questions are they likely to ask in my interview

T's & P's
1st May 2006, 20:59
I'd spoken to John Furley at great length before i even went for the interview, so didnt have too much to discuss - by the way, he's an extremely nice guy, give him a ring. He certainly knows his stuff (Wont publicly give out a number but it can be found on www.bcuc.ac.uk). Kerens interview was mostly based around the results of the Pilapt aptitude test results and what sort of effect that'll have on the training as a whole and whether or not cabair will accept you...not sure if you were thinking of anything specific or not? Try not to worry about it, my biggest regret was wearing a casual shirt and jeans...got a few odd looks in a place populated by shirts n ties!

Ringway004
2nd May 2006, 08:54
ye i wouldn't wry too much about what they'll ask, but i'd def concentrate on revisin maths n physics, thats what they'll go through with you at the end of the day, ur results n how well you did, they might ask you a question here n there about what are studying at college? r at school? but thats bout it:ok:

scroggs
2nd May 2006, 10:10
Did anyone understand the above post? Is that this new-fangled txtspk? Do we really feel it's necessary on a BB? There is no 160-character limit here, so why not try to make your posts as understandable as possible (remembering that many forummers are not native English speakers) - try and use conventional English, with a smattering of capitalisation, grammar and punctuation.

Or am I being too pedantic*?

Scroggs

*This is a rhetorical (look it up) question!

rudolf
2nd May 2006, 10:34
No scroggs you are not.

The youth of today, yikes. I can't understand what my 14 year old step-daughter is saying half of the time.

Rudolf

Mooney12
2nd May 2006, 10:35
I don't know many forums were people get a boll*cking about the quality of their English......In fact I really didn't think that was the moderators job, were not in school here...

Ringways post is perfectly understandable anyway...

If it states in pprune's rules that text speak is not allowed, I do apologise.:ok:

Sorry, back to the topic. Cabair.....!

rich poole
4th May 2006, 15:44
Hi, I hoping on starting this course in September too, i have passed all the little tests, and i'm sure ill make the ucas points. Didnt no that there were 250apply this year though.
It is good to hear from people out of the first year as to what the course is like, good feed back from what i gather. Any bad points? Whos hoping to start in September?

Rich

Pilot Pete
7th May 2006, 18:36
I don't know many forums were people get a boll*cking about the quality of their English Well, this isn't just any bulletin board. It contains many sections, but is mainly geared around the various professions within the aviation industry. Note the word professions as that's what it is all about, so sure, there is no problem with spelling mistakes and the like, but if (especially in a post like this one) potential future professional pilots are asking about courses that will lead to professional qualifications, then I think it is appropriate not to use text speak (see I even spelt that fully!;) ) Call me old fashioned if you like, but I don't see the need for everything to be dumbed down, like English GCSEs where bad spelling is tollerated! Plus, surely typing on a qwerty keyboard in text speak is harder than actually typing correctly isn't it?

PP

scroggs
8th May 2006, 10:15
That'll be tolerated, Pete! ;) :}

The point is not so much about your standards as an individual, though be sure you will be judged by others on the only evidence they have of you here - your written English. More immediately, if you wish to get a helpful answer to your question you should word that question as clearly as possible, including as much information as necessary to allow us to tailor our advice to your situation. If we can't understand you, or if we misunderstand you, we cannot advise you.

Scroggs

Pilot Pete
8th May 2006, 10:46
See, proves my point exactly!:ok:

PP