PDA

View Full Version : Recommmendations for Flight Training SE QLD

welcome_stranger
29th Apr 2006, 10:24
Ladies and Gentlemen........... and pilots.
She who must be obeyed has just granted me permission to learn to fly. (He He He after 25 years of wedded bliss my constant nagging has finally paid off).
As I will be/am a complete neophyte, I am hoping to use your experience as to what I should be looking for in a flight training establishment, and especially what I should ask of the CFI when I plead with them to take me on as a student.
For planning purposes would also appreciate a ball park figure as to how much it will cost me to PPL.
I am currently in SE Qld and would prefer Redcliffe/Cabooluture/Caloundra but Archerfield could be accommodated if recommendations point to that direction.
Reply either by PMs or posts will check daily.
Thanks in anticipation

Avgas172
30th Apr 2006, 09:59
RAQ at Redcliffe has a couple of brand new C172's and the girls and boys there have been kind to me (32 years of wedded bliss) in my ramblings as a pilot member there for about 15 years ... now in Central West NSW and loving it (still a member of RAQ but) feel free to pvt message me for details.
ps the cranky old cfi has retired now .... hahaha hi Rob...

VH-FTS
30th Apr 2006, 11:53
RAQ? That's the new aircraft! You mean RAC?

:ok: to the new CFI Brendan, and to Rob who is still instructing three days a week.

Going Nowhere
30th Apr 2006, 22:31
I'll also add a :ok: to RAC. Great instructors, good clean aircraft and the views from the training area aren't too shabby either!

ausdoc
1st May 2006, 01:13
If you're willing to go slightly further afield, Darling Downs Aero Club in Toowoomba is very good too. Short taxi times, no pesky tower, but you've got controlled airspace right next door at Oakey if you want it.

VH-FTS
1st May 2006, 05:46
Sounds just like Redcliffe - no tower, short taxi and controlled airspace at both ends of the training area.

Not bashing DDAC or your comments in any way - great club/school :ok:

puff
1st May 2006, 11:00
Stay away from AF these days, lots of egos and the main reason to stay away is the landing fees are a killer. RAC is going from strength to strength on the back of AFs eventual demise. AF operators can't complete on the basis of AFs higher costs.

ascj
2nd May 2006, 10:39
Aerodynamic flight academy at Maroochydore had a really good crew last time i was there. It is controlled airspace but after flying there the big bad controllers are not so scary anymore. The taxi time are minimal as well.
:ok:

Jamair
3rd May 2006, 10:21
Pretty sure that a quick search of this forum will turn up at least a couple of threads answering that question; but to restate mine own opinions therfrom - RAC is good, I did GFPT, NVFR, PPL, & CPL there. Avalon Aviation (Rick Wedgewood) at Caboolture is good; I did PIFR, CIR and ME there. DDAC is good, I am a member there & they do fine work. I have been through several others in the places you mention for various odds & sods and can't recommend any of them. Feel free to PM.

Lando Calrissian
30th Oct 2006, 02:49
I feel sorry for the YBAF operators, business has got to be tough.

I Had a look at what one school there has to offer nowadays; 1 hour dual in a C152 including GST and the landing fee doesn't leave much change from $270.

Steve888
31st Oct 2006, 05:19
If you're still looking for schools at Redcliffe, try Arena, recently moved up from AF due to the rising costs. Very nice place they got there now. And the instructors are always happy to just have a chat.

yogiphil
31st Oct 2006, 10:36
Yeah I have done my PPL at Redcliffe. Great instructors, nice a/c and one of the veiws from the training area around. (Beats the smog of YSBK training area!) You have both YBBN and YBMC airspace close by. Highly recommended.:ok:

Mustangbaz
31st Oct 2006, 10:49
I've just completed my PPL at Redcliffe, fantastic instructers, good choice of aircraft some still sparkling from the factory and a great runway for crosswind practice. Check out their website it it'll give you a good idea of what they do ...........

http://www.redcliffeaeroclub.com.au/

good luck :ok:

SuPeRcHaRgEd
31st Oct 2006, 23:17
I completed my training at RAC many, many moons ago right through to Instructor and MEIFR. I have also worked along side the guys there for years. I can say without doubt that the Redcliffe Aero Club would have to rate as one of the leading flying schools within Australia. Instructors like Brendan and Kelly are a dieing breed. You'd be mad not to go there for your training.

JimmyReeves
2nd Nov 2006, 03:22
Use a school with little or no landing fees (non CTA), and where the airfrield is situated close to the training area. You can save $$$. Places like Redcliffe and Caboolture are ideal.

Oz Vegemite
2nd Nov 2006, 09:23
Guys please let us keep the facts straight - I am not aware of any C152's at AF at $250 per hour, I believe $210 per hour including the landing fee is far more accurate. Also GST is not applicable for training.

As to the demise of AF I don't know which planet you are from but the schools are booming!!

Please lets keep the comments factual!
Oz

Lando Calrissian
2nd Nov 2006, 21:10
I've sent you a PM Oz.

Cheers.

puff
3rd Nov 2006, 10:14
Guys please let us keep the facts straight - I am not aware of any C152's at AF at $250 per hour, I believe $210 per hour including the landing fee is far more accurate. Also GST is not applicable for training.
As to the demise of AF I don't know which planet you are from but the schools are booming!!
Please lets keep the comments factual!
Oz

Booming so well that Arena pulled out of Archerfield operations all together recently?

For the month of Sept - GA airport movements from AsA.
AF - 11942
BK - 25204
MB - 20182
PF - 16892
JT - 32744
The Sept 2000 figures for AF were 16450

JimmyReeves
6th Nov 2006, 11:43
I remember around years ago ago, a C152 dual at archerfield was going for $220 including GST. Taxi time and to RWY 10s was approx more than 10 mins including runups if your lucky. The time to reach the training areas added another 7-10 mins. Actual instructional time in a 1 hour flight to the training area was about 20 mins. That is a lot of money wasted on taxi time, ldg fees and transiting to training area. I still think training at non controlled aerodromes like Redcliffe and Cab can save you $$$$.

Rich-Fine-Green
9th Nov 2006, 01:47
From what I hear from BNE buddy, Oz V is correct. The schools at YBAF seem to be doing OK.

Booming so well that Arena pulled out of Archerfield operations all together recently?

As for Arena leaving for YRED; maybe that says more about Arena as a company. Where they were at AF and where they want to go with their operation. I understand their AF building was limited and opportunities at YRED will allow growth with expansion into maintenance etc. Good luck to them.

I enjoy hearing about positive moves and plans in GA.

dxbpilot
9th Nov 2006, 09:04
Do not worry about what Arena is doing , they are a mess of a business ! There are a lot of unhappy people who have left due to management issues especially the CFI !

Airline Academy of Australia is taking over there Building at YBAF for their Boeing/Alteon MPL training starting next year. RQAC/AAA are doing great business there at the moment, it is definatly booming.

It really depends on what sort of flying you want to do , if you are looking to do it as a career I would recommend doing it at YBAF as its a bit more realistic having to talk to some sort of ATC alot. If you are a weekend warrior YRED/YCAB are great places to learn and may well be a cheaper option.

good luck , if you need anymore info on Arena or RQAC PM me

Ricky Bobby
9th Nov 2006, 21:47
Personally I don't think learning to talk to ATC will help you in your job hunting quest when you've finished your training. GAAP's have different procedures from Class D and C aerodromes and anyway, your first job will most likely be in an area a looooooong way away from any sort at ATC.

jon s gull
10th Nov 2006, 06:08
Any way you cut it SEQld is a great place to train , the close proximity of all the airfields means you can be in and out of all kinds of airspace in a single sortie.
I did my commercial with QAL at caloundra and it was an eye opener, and great training for a boy from the bush.