PDA

View Full Version : An airline by the pilots for the pilots!

captwannabe
29th Apr 2006, 08:04
I know the title sounds a bit George Orwell, but if so many people are having problems with recruitment, and with T&Cs when employed, why don't pilots form their own airline (or even a FTO)? I know there is a huge financial risk involved, but it only takes a few like-minded courageous people to bring about change and success.

Note to Mods: Don't immediately move this to Jetblast! ;)

deice
29th Apr 2006, 09:20
That's an interesting proposal but I always thought pilots were good at being pilots, not managers. That's the reason there are so many crappy airlines out there...:E
Too many ex-pilots making life miserable for those still in the business, or perhaps I'm mistaken...

scroggs
29th Apr 2006, 09:41
Airlines exist to make money by transporting people and freight to where they want to go. They do not exist to be nice to pilots. Airlines (or any employer) will be as nice as they have to be in order to attract and retain the people they need - and no nicer. If you ever run a business of any kind (as I have), you will discover that all your charitable notions become very secondary to the needs of the business!

The way to get good Ts&Cs is through a unified and motivated pilot workforce and an active, intelligent, determined and persistent Company Council.

Scroggs

Phileas Fogg
29th Apr 2006, 10:38
I was of the impression that airlines are for passengers and to serve the passengers and not the crew!

A320rider
29th Apr 2006, 11:30
airlines are here to fill pockets of unscrupulous people.
-make an airline, find banks ready to invest.
-give free flight tickets.
-be in trouble with everybody(bank, personal,...)
-open your own attorney company in Liechtenstein,...
-ask for services from this new external companies based in Liechtenstein,..
-pay attorney fees to this company.
-be shut down by a judge
-go away with the money from your attorney company...
-open a new airline 6 months later
-and start again...

and this is totally legal:ugh:

Left Wing
29th Apr 2006, 11:31
Yes there such wonderfull airlines that serve the crew and not pax, they are the bankrupt state owned airlines:p

BIGBAD
29th Apr 2006, 11:52
There are many airlines out there run by pilots who are quite happy to milk the market and screw wannabees for type ratings and even pay for 100 hrs on type - you know who they are :yuk: :yuk:

squawkident.
29th Apr 2006, 13:17
Dont mean to sound ignorant but who are these airlines you're actually referring to?

Im not disagreeing with your quote-just interested and curious to know

Phileas Fogg
29th Apr 2006, 13:31
Well I can think of 2 TRTO's located near LGW for starters with pilots as directors in charge of selling type ratings and hours on type, one has something to do with '007' and the other has something to do with 'thunder & lightning'!

BIGBAD
30th Apr 2006, 11:31
Phileas Fogg

those were exactly the ones that spring to mind !! There is a good example of pilots - who have never paid for a type rating in their life taking advantage of wannabee pilots desperate to do anything to get on that first rung of the job ladder..............

Fair_Weather_Flyer
30th Apr 2006, 20:23
I think that United Airlines is owned by the pilot group, mechanics and other employee groups. Look how jacked up that little utopia is.