PDA

View Full Version : Harrier Videos

Black 'n Yellar
29th Apr 2006, 03:05
Now that the old girl is dead and buried - and I have finally managed to crack the technology, I have posted some Sea Harrier videos on my website at http://www.flyingmarines.com and then click on the videos button.
The first 6 are videos that I made myself and the bottom 3 are ones that I 'acquired'. Be warned that they are not just flying videos, but were mainly made as momentoes of the Detachments that we were on. Some of them are quite long, so don't even contemplate it if you are not on broadband. IF YOU DON'T LIKE SEA HARRIERS, DONT WATCH THEM!
If you browse the rest of the website I apologise that it is n't yet finished and not all of the links work. I hope you enjoy the videos.

ScienceDoc
29th Apr 2006, 10:41
Very nice, excellent job! Thanks!

PPRuNe Radar
29th Apr 2006, 11:44
Nice videos .. but did the Royal Marines really fly Sea Harriers ?? :)

Black 'n Yellar
29th Apr 2006, 12:11
Yes - 3 of us did. 2 are now flying GR7 and I am in the U.S flying AV8Bs. Its amazing what you can teach a Marine to do these days!

DICK DOLEMAN
29th Apr 2006, 12:19
A brilliant site.....well done sir !!

Navaleye
29th Apr 2006, 14:11
BZ. I loved the Gib vid especially.

sikeano
29th Apr 2006, 14:28
great videos ejoyed it well done :ok:

212man
29th Apr 2006, 16:35
Thoroughly enjoyed watching the videos, and great choices of music too. I look forward to watching the site develop.:ok:

Black 'n Yellar
29th Apr 2006, 17:24
I'm just off to the boat for a couple of weeks and then we will be shortly gone for 6 months. The boat is a bit of an 'information void' so the opportunities to update the site will be limited!

timex
29th Apr 2006, 17:48
Nice Vids, enjoy your "float". Strange being on a dry ship!!

Stay safe

Jerry Can
29th Apr 2006, 17:58
Awesome videos.

Good effort Royal, enjoy your trip.

Chairborne 09.00hrs
29th Apr 2006, 20:57
Just tried (without success) the "Contact" button on your website.

Your list of pilots doesn't seem to include Maj. R T Partridge, DSO of Konigsberg fame.

WE Branch Fanatic
30th Apr 2006, 13:27
Great stuff - I for one will miss seeing the mighty Sea Harrier (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98152) in the skies over Devon.

PPRuNe Radar the answer is yes. Whilst not the same as being a Marine, I believe several Sea Harrier drivers did the All Arms Course to earn a Green Lid.

orca
1st May 2006, 19:41
WEBF, mate they were genuine booties.

When 3 BAS became 847 and the bootnecks were awarded RN wings, one of the spin offs was that booties were looked at to enter the fixed wing world. (long story cut very short)

Once you had persuaded them that although press-ups were admirable they didn't win BVR engagements - and that BFM was more important than BFT - they were worth having along!

In fact they were worth their weight in gold when the bagmen decided that mess rugby would be a great idea mid-JMC. (Have a feeling that Black and Yellar ended up with sore ribs after that one!)

WE Branch Fanatic
1st May 2006, 20:24
I know they were. I was just saying as well as the booties who went fixed wing there were one or two SHAR drivers who did the All Arms Course.

No disrespect intended. I must post more carefully.........

WhiteOvies
2nd May 2006, 12:02
Referred to affectionately once as 'Zoom Boots' by a certain R Jolly, Royals flying jets continues. Also know of at least 1 RN GR7 pilot with an All Arms earned green lid. As an aside 800 NAS wear the Royal Marines cummerbund because at least one former CO (maybe the first, memory a bit vague) was a Royal Marine and decided that was how it was going to be.

STANDTO
2nd May 2006, 18:01
I am sure this website is marvellous, but it locks out after 10 gig of bandwith.

As an aside - the weather is miserable today, would one not agree:ugh:

Chairborne 09.00hrs
3rd May 2006, 07:10
at least one former CO (maybe the first, memory a bit vague) was a Royal Marine

White,

That would be the aforementioned Maj. R T Partridge, DSO!

Cheers

WhiteOvies
3rd May 2006, 12:49
Chairborne,
Many thanks!:ok:
(reminds self to read properly before posting := )

str12
3rd May 2006, 23:05
How is the Daily Bandwidth Exceeded at 12:04:{

Stayed up extra special late way past my bedtime 'n all!

Chairborne 09.00hrs
4th May 2006, 18:42
(reminds self to read properly before posting := )

Don't wear the hair shirt, White (or should that be hair ovies??) - my first post didn't mention his connection with 800 NAS.

I was just pointing out to B/Y my surprise that such a famous RM pilot wasn't on the list on his website!

Black 'n Yellar
7th May 2006, 13:35
I am sorry that the website went down, but my miserly web package did n't like the amount of bandwidth that the downloads were using and the web nazis shut me down! I have reset it and it should be back up and running tomorrow for those that are interested.
Chairborne - Maj Partridge RM will be on the site soon, I have not quite got to him in the book I am using, but he is only 2 pages away so I should be there soon when I get some time to sit down and work on it. Thank you for pointing it out and I would be glad to hear from any others that have info on any RM pilots, or if you are an ex-Royal please let me know. I will also have the contact page up soon.
As for the green bereted matelot stovies, I certainly know of 2, both of whom have now left. In my opinion, any jet pilot who wants to put themselves through the All Arms Commando Course deserves a lot of respect.
Orca - I certainly remember the incident of the cracked ribs thanks to a rather large Bag observer landing on top of me during a Wardroom scrap. Getting in and out of my rack, and indeed flying at any more than 1.0g was agony for the next 6 weeks. Good times!
Back of to the dry US boat now, so no chance of an alcohol induced scrap there! I hope the website does n't go down again before I get back!

exrotarybooty
8th May 2006, 15:25
I managed to get onto the site after quite a few tries, and it was well worth the effort! :ok:

B 'n Y. Once you have returned from dry-boating I can offer you a few more photos of the early Sioux days, and correct a couple of inaccuracies. (I feature in your present collection of 'Rotary' photos, but you got the tail number wrong.)

ERB

orca
9th May 2006, 08:16
Black and Yellar

Mate - did you really say that you are using a book? Christ man, you'll be evicted from the Corps. I assume those pages you mentionned have lots of pictures......

Take care out there..

Skeleton
9th May 2006, 11:41
:* :eek:

Yuch... Harrier videos.

WhiteOvies
9th May 2006, 11:46
:rolleyes: You were warned!