PDA

View Full Version : "High Speed" into Changi/Singapore

Seat 22C
28th Apr 2006, 17:34
Listening to my favorite radio station (Channel 9 on UAL) into Singapore this evening, I heard most everyone request the "High Speed."

Everyone who requested it was granted it, but what is it? And for comparison, what's the low/standard speed into Changi?

parabellum
29th Apr 2006, 10:34
It is a common rule that Indicated Airspeed should be reduced to 250 knots on passing 10,000 feet in the descent and further reduced as required by ATC to enable them to fit you into the landing sequence and as required by the pilots to enable a safe landing. If traffic conditions permit it is possible that ATC will tell you that you can maintain 'High Speed', around 300 knots, until either they require you to reduce or you, the pilots, need to in order to execute a safe landing. If ATC don't offer 'High Speed' it is quite in order for the pilots to request it and entirely at the discretion of ATC to grant it, or not.

ATC can also grant 'High Speed' in the climb out below 10,000 feet if traffic conditions permit. Hope this helps.

Seat 22C
29th Apr 2006, 12:13
It is a common rule that Indicated Airspeed should be reduced to 250 knots on passing 10,000 feet in the descent.
Ah, yes, I had forgotten that rule since I never get anywhere near 250KIAS in my AC11 ... But what I had never heard that request in any other terminal area. What's so unique about Singapore airspace that literally everyone requested the "High Speed" ???

Dream Land
29th Apr 2006, 13:35
From my perspective, requesting high speed isn't because I am in a hurry necessarily, it's because due to air traffic control or departure traffic, I am higher than I would like to be, that said, most modern airliners have big wings, so consider an airplane descending at say 300 KTS (Power off), now approaching 10 K if I reduce speed 50 KTS my airplane turns into a glider, other options would be to use speed brakes which no one in the cabin appreciates, soooo by getting permission to "keep high speed" it allows me to continue the descent rate. :}