PDA

View Full Version : ETPS

Lowkey
28th Apr 2006, 16:25
Hi all,

Prepping for ETPS interview. Can you PM me any toptips for the interview. Apart from know AP3456 back to front etc. Specifics and personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ghostie31
28th Apr 2006, 16:44
Can't say I know much about ETPS, but when you get in (im sure you will) i'll try and stay out of the way in my Tutor! :}

airborne_artist
28th Apr 2006, 16:59
Suggest you search on all posts by Milt, and send him a PM - I'm sure he'd be thrilled to help. Some of his tales and experiences are amongst the best I've read on aviation anywhere.

maxburner
28th Apr 2006, 18:07
Try asking the question on the Flight Test forum.

L J R
28th Apr 2006, 21:05
Know about how to make a Risk Assessment B4 a Trial.

Sven Sixtoo
28th Apr 2006, 22:05
Do not tell any of the Sqn bosses (OC FJ, OC HATS, OC D) that the last aircraft he signed off on was a load of w**k.

The last two minutes of the interview were interesting in several ways.

Sven

SlipperySlappery
29th Apr 2006, 10:56
Do not tell any of the Sqn bosses (OC FJ, OC HATS, OC D) that the last aircraft he signed off on was a load of w**k because it displays a startling misunderstanding of how aircraft are cleared for Service use and indicates that you didn't really bone up on that process.

Don't be afraid to be honest about your own aircraft type but given that this course costs the UK taxpayer a stack of money (and the end product often has to argue the toss with senior industry executives, experienced test pilots and senior officers) you should aim for objectivity.

Speak to the tps on the sqn that you are aiming to end up on and ask them what is going on at the moment. Better still, go and visit for a day.

Know the aerodynamics bit of 3456 but subject to your own academic background (ie if you've got a first in aeronautical engineering then they may expect you to know more than if you have a third in media studies).

Most important, don't talk rubbish - if you don't know, say so.

DICK DOLEMAN
29th Apr 2006, 12:24
Why not ring and ask to speak to any of the TPs at Warton; they are a very helpful and dedicated bunch of guys.

Si Clik
29th Apr 2006, 13:51
Lowkey

PM me with some more specifics and I'll try to help. Currently assisting one of my guys who is going this year.

Keep working the jobs a good one!!

Si

Milt
16th May 2006, 03:15
Lowkey

Have you had that interview yet? If so how did it go?

If not, I could only tell you that the interview board will be looking for those having strong motivations and attributes for contributing to the continuing advancement of aircraft handling, performance and design.

You will already have been assessed as having above average flying abilities and ample experience. An avid interest in all of the technical aspects of aeronautics is fundamental as are above average interests in aeronautical designs, electrics, hydraulics, electronics, computers, instrumentation, aircraft utilisation and importantly the atmosphere. All of that and more will need to be mixed with quick reflexes and a high level of literacy so that you can write clear and concise reports.

Oggin Dodger
17th May 2006, 19:18
Keep reading everything aviation related, they like to see a good interest outside your own sphere. That said, know you own aircraft's faults and how you would improve them. Be prepared to answer some questions out of left field, the board will try to see how you cope out of your comfort zone, most importantly don't bull****, they won't ask questions that they don't already know the answer to .

Good advice to visit the squadron first, it gets your face and name known and shows a bit of extra effort; it also helps to decide if it is a job that you want to do. The ETPS course is only a means to an end, the job is the important bit.

Good luck