PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pay Cuts

D.B. Escapee
28th Apr 2006, 04:13
Having just read the proposed Crew Bulletin; Growth talks...
It is with great honour that I read I can be expecting to take a substantial pay cut, like other based F.O's.
A U.S. based year 4 F.O will make less than a current Freighter F.O.
This amounts to approximately a 30% pay cut from the current level.
You can never expect to get back to current levels.
The Canadians have it bad as well. Year 3-4-5 are substantially lower.
The Europeans, Aussies, and Kiwi's are lucky that they only take a pay cut for years 4&5. I suppose this will help recruiting hire directly to these bases. Like moths to a flame.
I am relieved that the A scale retreads will get a better housing allowance. We all know that they're struggling to maintain servant staffing levels to civilized levels.
I am happier than a Chinese coal miner to do my part.
I know those of you living in HKG want to live there indefinitely.
I will continue to work harder than an air filter in Tung Chung.

Wasn't this article in the South China morning post a few weeks ago?
Singapore retains top spot as the best place for Asians to live and work while Baghdad is the most difficult

Hong Kong ¡V 3 April 2006 ¡V Hong Kong has dropped to 32nd place in the latest Location Ranking Survey on expatriate living conditions conducted annually by ECA International, the world's largest membership organisation for international human resources professionals. The main reason for the fall in Hong Kong's ranking is worsening air quality as pollution from an increasingly industrialised Guangdong province affects the city.

Singapore maintains its ranking at the top of the list, scoring favourably in most categories. High quality infrastructure and health facilities combined with lower health risks, air pollution and lower crime rates than most other cities make it a very desirable place to live.

Kobe is the only other Asian city ranked in the top 10, fifth behind Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra. Making up the top 10 are Auckland, Copenhagen, Vancouver, Wellington and Basel. Unsurprisingly, Baghdad came out as the worst location to live, followed by Kabul and Karachi.

"Despite falling from 20th place last year to 32nd place this year, it's not all bad news for Hong Kong. The city still remains attractive to overseas talent because of low crime rates, free governance and excellent recreational facilities. These factors combine to rank Hong Kong more favourably than other cities in Asia, such as Beijing, Shanghai and Seoul," said Lee Quane, General Manager of ECA International in Hong Kong.

ECA International serves a global network of over 4000 HR professionals in 1500 companies in 35 countries. This year's Location Ranking Survey is the largest ever, scoring 257 locations worldwide according to categories that include climate, prevalence/impact of natural disasters, health facilities and risks, transportation, the quality and availability of goods and services, accommodation standards, education, recreation, crime and socio-political climate. Overall scores are used by ECA Member companies to establish allowances which compensate expatriate staff for the difficulties of living in their assignment location.

jtr
28th Apr 2006, 05:56
"excellent recreational facilities"

http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif

Bolty McBolt
28th Apr 2006, 08:30
Singapore Don't beleive the hype :yuk:

kellykelpie
28th Apr 2006, 11:03
Hey - I'm an Aussie living in Singapore and it's fantastic. No surprises there.:ok:

parabellum
28th Apr 2006, 12:54
Bolty McBolt = probably never lived in Singapore= even if I did I failed= well I wasn't there very long, was I?= hardly long enough to form an opinion= well, not an opinion that actually means anything= etc. etc. etc.:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Rainwater
1st May 2006, 07:06
From the Crews Bulletin:
In order to produce a standard F/O pay scale we have had to produce a ghosted linear command scale. (We have pitched this ghosted scale at where we believe the market for US major carriers to be today but we can debate this further when we get into pay talks and adjust the F/O scale accordingly.)
84 credit hours for US major carriers: 4th yr F/O
Cathay USAB: $79,000 (400) New Unified F/O payscale During Profitability
American: $112,896 (777)
United: $107,856 (400) Bankruptcy wages
Delta: $110,880 (777) In Bankruptcy
NWA: $101,808 (400) In Bankruptcy
SWA: $104,832 (737) Small Jet

Hedncld
1st May 2006, 16:50
Do not forget you guys are a PROFITABLE carrier. Why use bankrupt carriers or near bankrupt carriers as your benchmark for benefits. If I was managment you better believe I would compare you to a NWA and UAL. Guys just remember you do not get what you deserve - you get what you negotiate. You should be settings the wages b/c of your financial success. Just remember inflation adjusted we are losing our shirts. Real wages (purchasing power) is all that really matters. Stockholm syndrome is contagious.
Be reasonable but have resolve!

4evrfo
7th May 2006, 03:32
I'd like to point out that, with the exception of SWA (who doesn't fly widebodies anyway), 4 yr FO are all FURLOUGHED.
Compare pay with your competition ie 10 or 12 yr FO's at US majors!!
:eek:

cpdude
7th May 2006, 04:27
I'd like to point out that, with the exception of SWA (who doesn't fly widebodies anyway), 4 yr FO are all FURLOUGHED.
Compare pay with your competition ie 10 or 12 yr FO's at US majors!!
:eek:

Sure, a 4 yr FO would be flying a 37 or 320 but compare a 4 yr 400 FO at NWA or United with a 4 yr FO at CX on the 400? Or are you trying to compare a narrow body pilot with a wide body pilot?