PDA

View Full Version : Projects on hold, delayed, awaiting cancellation?

Biggus
27th Apr 2006, 10:20
As far as I am aware at least three big MoD projects are well behind previously published dates for decisions, awarding of contracts, "gates", etc. The Nimrod MRA4, CVF and FSTA. Are there any more that I haven't mentioned? Is there something going on here, is the government looking for a day when it can bury cancellation, delay, announcements? Are we trying to stretch the procurement budget out further? Is that nice Mr Brown just delaying things so he can cancel them when he is PM, send our Armed Forces on less jaunts around the world than 'trust me Tony', and spend more on schools the NHS, etc. Or is it just the usual DPA ineptitude resulting in the sort of delays we can expect with any big project?

Am I looking for a conspiracy when there isn't one? Is my membership of the Grassy Knoll Society unduely influencing me? Any thoughts.......

Safety_Helmut
27th Apr 2006, 10:34
JPA would seem to be on hold :mad:

Beagle-eye
27th Apr 2006, 10:50
I am involved with a number of projects run by Strike Command. Back end of last year it was all frantic - proposals, costings etc. all had to be in lightning speed. Now .... nothing ... all quiet. Industry days and ITT's all indefinately postponed.

Only indication that we have is that 1, 2 & 3 Group have been re-organised into 1 Group & 2 Group. The Finance and Admin side of the three groups has been re-organised. This means that many people have had to change jobs and functions and that all this was still 'settling down'. :(

Talking Radalt
27th Apr 2006, 16:04
Am I looking for a conspiracy when there isn't one?

This bloke I met down the pub told me there's a secret Govt agency whose sole purpose is to try to make us think there are no conspiracy theories......:}

Unmissable
27th Apr 2006, 22:38
I do not believe that the MOD is holding back on any announcement of cancellations. Everyone I know working at the MOD works to what is generally public knowledge. They allways are asked to find savings, but that is nothing new. What will really hit the MOD is the CSR (Comprehensive Spending Review) which looks at ALL treasury spending and its value. You can bet that Health and Education will win above Defence. Therefore total Defence budget is likely to take a BIG HIT in next couple of years.....and the quick win will be to cancel ONE (or more) major project.

It's an easy and palatable headline....... 'Carrier Scrapped ----5 new hospitals built (saved)'...or would you rather..... 'UK guarantee being able to prevent invasion as well as threaten other minor states but schools and hospitals are worst in western world'.

WE Branch Fanatic
27th Apr 2006, 22:49
Given the mismanagement of the NHS, they would be better of building more carriers and sending patients to them for treatment.

Always_broken_in_wilts
27th Apr 2006, 23:31
A400M ( M for maybe?)..........now there's an unlikely white elephant:p

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

WhiteOvies
28th Apr 2006, 09:07
WEBF
See the link, works for Africa, maybe in the UK? Carriers would allow lots of air ambulances as well :hmm:
http://www.mercyships.org/site/c.agLOI4OFKrF/b.1025835/k.BE58/Home.htm

rafloo
28th Apr 2006, 15:01
You can bet that Health and Education will win above Defence

and rightly so. Education and Health are far, far more important and worthy that defence.

Roland Pulfrew
28th Apr 2006, 15:19
and rightly so. Education and Health are far, far more important and worthy that defence.

Oh God, is this the new Southside? They both already get 3 times and 2.5 times as much as Defence and yet they still spend outside their budgets and they still cannot make the output!!! Mismanagement or what???

rafloo
28th Apr 2006, 15:25
Bloomin right they are mis managed....but that doesn't mean they are less important. Like the chap says...defence doesnt get votes and so defence will always (and quite rightly) be at the bottom of the pile. Mr and Mrs Blogs don't even know we have aircraft carriers....but they are interested in the waiting list for Mr Blog's new hip and they are concerned that junior blogs doesn't have a headmaster...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4949902.stm

But your suggestion that the NHS is mismanaged, also may suggest that the Armed Forces are NOT mis managed. Are you happy with yur management? are they doing a good job?

Roadster280
28th Apr 2006, 16:15
Dear me, what short memories we seem to have.

If we don't have the ability to defend ourselves, we may well cease to have a problem in managing education and health, since the occupying power will have that problem, not the UK.

Far fetched? Ask the Falkland Islanders.

Similarly, poor education and health services result in a well defended but shell-like society, equally pointless.

Defence should not "rightly" be at the bottom of the pile. There shouldn't be any prioritisation of one over the other. Spend what we need to do the job in all departments and tax accordingly. If we dont like the tax, vote for the alternatives. Which means less capability in each area. So one makes one's choice at the ballot box.

It's called democracy, a concept we all signed up to defend.

buoy15
28th Apr 2006, 17:59
I thought Prescott, Hewitt and Clarke were on hold, delayed and awaiting cancellation - but no longer
This was confirmed by a Dooming St spokesperson who said "they are doing a great job, are ahead of project expectations, providing good value for money, and have the full backing of the PM, Mr Bliar"
When it comes to arrogance and affrontery, this government knows no bounds!
Tried an anagram of the personalities
Closest I could get was - "Crapt twice - Clear! - Phew! - s'ok!"
Still got a job!
Any better, more honest suggestions
1st prize - 2 month tour in SEEB - 2nd prize - personlised portakabin in Thumrait - 3rd prize - Blue and white striped towell from the Intercon at SEEB

Brian Dixon
28th Apr 2006, 19:01
Dare I mention the Chinook HC3 fiasco? :uhoh:

tucumseh
28th Apr 2006, 19:47
Chinook HC3 fiasco?

I'm not sure the principals would agree. After all, they were told exactly WHAT would happen, WHY, and WHEN. Knowing this, and having proceeded regardless, one assumes they considered the project a success.

Couldn't resist it - you are of course right Brian!

Safety_Helmut
28th Apr 2006, 20:11
Tucumseh, I bet the w@nkers who made the decisions to carry on regardless have since been promoted and moved on, that is the real shame of it.

S_H

the funky munky
28th Apr 2006, 20:16
The Lynx replacement projects BRA and Scummer are currently in a state of purdah (indian word meaning the government is too chicken to announce Wastelands were given the contract before the local elections on 4th May).

Best forecast is June but Lord Larry Grayson hasn't written to treasury yet, he swanned off to the states to bully the septics about the new plastic pointy thing.

Apparently shock horror the treasury like us though!

So keep 'em flying chaps.

tucumseh
28th Apr 2006, 20:29
Safety Helmut

Correct about one; the others retired at the same grade, although not before benefitting other programmes with their wisdom. AH64 springs to mind. And RMPA.

Stitchbitch
28th Apr 2006, 20:40
Buoy 15.. if you e-bay 'em i'll buy 'em. safety helmut, get back to your pax jackets...

Safety_Helmut
28th Apr 2006, 22:16
?

S_H

buoy15
29th Apr 2006, 17:15
This thread appears to have been stolen by the Chinook thing
Back to the top!

Grum Peace Odd
29th Apr 2006, 18:22
Hewitt Prescott Clarke = Protect rich sweet-talk

Should I start packing now? (At least it gets me away from this bleedin' govt and the JPA farce for a while!)

Pontius Navigator
29th Apr 2006, 19:23
I am involved with a number of projects run by Strike Command. Back end of last year it was all frantic - proposals, costings etc. all had to be in lightning speed. Now .... nothing ... all quiet. Industry days and ITT's all indefinately postponed.
:(

Nothing to do with the retirement of the CinC by any chance?