PDA

View Full Version : A Little Advice

skelldog
27th Apr 2006, 04:41
Hi there all,

I'm a 25 year old cargo pilot that fly's a Britten Norman trislander for a scheduled ups feeder here in the states. I dream of flying for Cathay someday, but I'm un sure as to which route to go to get competitive minimums. Should I fly for a regional or someone like Ameriflight who fly's Beech 1900's and Metro liners. Would those type of aircraft qualify or would I just be spinning my wheels? I would love to stay with cargo, but I will do what I have to do. Thank you all...

mizzy
27th Apr 2006, 16:55
Regional is always a better choice no matter you want to apply for cx or not because Ameriflight simply isn't something you want (at least myself) or will give you any bigger advantage in a long run. thus, what's next on the list after Ameriflight? possibly regional if you want some jet time (i am not saying that Ameriflght doesn't have any jet, you know what I mean) or some real airlines operation experience.
another reason is if you failed on cx or other major airlines, regional can still be a life time career in additional to salary and benefits
after all, this is my just opinion and what I would do if i am in your position

skelldog
28th Apr 2006, 02:47
Thanks mizzy...... it's nice to get anothers opinion.....:ok:

Elroy Jettson
29th Apr 2006, 08:19
I would go to the regionals. You obviously aspire to a multicrew airline environment, so go and get some multicrew turbine time to show how keen you are, and to see if you enjoy it. Stick with the freight until you get the usual minimum command time experience required to take a command with the regional you are applying for though. No point in leaving until you have 1000 plus command hours. If you have got it, move on! Time waits for no man! (Or woman!) :)

Good luck! Regionals are a hoot! An awesome stepping stone to the majors. :ok:

Not to say airlines wont look at you with Islander time, they will. As soon as you hit the minimum experience requirements, regardless of what you are flying, thats the time to get the resume in.