PDA

View Full Version : Joining the RAF

Spawney
26th Apr 2006, 20:39
Hi all,

I am currently in my second year of 6th form, studying Physics, Maths and Geography. I Intend to pass all 3 in the summer.

I am looking at becoming a pilot or a dental officer in the RAF.

Firstly, my main worry is that I dont want to be tied down to live in the RAF base. I read that you have to stay in there for the first 6 weeks, but after that you are free to leave at weekends and evenings. Is that true? Can I be a 'normal civilian' when i've left base (i.e Girlfriend, Go out, etc.)?

Secondly, on the RAF.MOD.UK Website, it doesnt say that you need a degree in the qualification. But theres something about vocational training.. I get the feeling you need a degree, but can do the vocational training in the RAF. Could anyone tell me if i need a degree for the dental officer?

Also, after training, and during a 'normal day', do you still have to do PT, and Perform drill etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Melchett01
26th Apr 2006, 20:53
Why pilot or dental officer? The pilot part I can understand, but it's a pretty big leap from hoovering around at low level to hoovering around in someone's mouth - I'd make sure you have your answers squared away for that one.

As for do you need a degree to be a dental officer, I bloody well hope so! Remind me to check my dentist is actually qualified before she starts drilling for oil next time. I'm pretty sure that you have to be qualified before you join, but it should have told you that on the website. Incidentally, just a thought, do you not need chemistry to do medical / dental degrees? That's what I was told back in my day when I was doing A-Levels - if you want to do either of those, you need chemistry as medics and dentists are notoriously bad at teaching chemistry so they like you to have a good background to start with. Avoids embarrassing incidents like mixing up your gasses in the operating theatre because you can't tell your O2 from your NOx and wondering why the patient is going blue.

As for the rest, no you aren't tied down once you leave Cranwell, just don't expect much free time during training or if you end up on an ac type that is permanently deployed. PT, as long as you can pass your fatness test, no one will force you to do it, but it is a bit embarrassing when you end up having to walk to level 4 on the bleep test :\

Have a good rummage round the RAF website and use the search engine on here, plenty of good gen on careers, OASC and the like.

Spawney
26th Apr 2006, 21:00
Thanks for the speedy reply melchett.

I've just thought of another question (Sorry!). Once ive got my A-Levels, will I go in higher up than someone who went in after their GCSE's?

Also, what is daily life like as a Pilot? I take it you're not always flying, and i guess you do a lot of stuff on the ground?

Cheers again!

UnderPowered
26th Apr 2006, 21:14
...I dont want to be tied down to live in the RAF base....Can I be a 'normal civilian'...?

Also, after training, and during a 'normal day', do you still have to do PT, and Perform drill etc?

If you're scared of the above, whether you do it every day or not, the general, other, constant hardships will get the better of you. The above things exist, in no small part, to test the 'Per Ardua' so that we know that you'll get 'Ad Astra'.

It is not an accident that the motto of the RAF is in that order.

If you're serious about joining the RAF as anything, I suggest that you go to university first. It'll give you time to sort out who you are before you get eaten alive by the training system, if not the enemy.

Melchett01
26th Apr 2006, 21:23
Once ive got my A-Levels, will I go in higher up than someone who went in after their GCSE's?

Yes or no, it all depends whether you join on a commission or in the ranks or as NCA. If you want to join on a commission, A-levels are a must, however, that isn't to say that just because you only have GCSEs, you can't climb the greasy pole - there are plenty of people that joined up with a couple of GCSEs in sociology and woodwork and ended up with a commission from the ranks - the process is slightly different. Howeverm you should be aware, that there are plenty of SACs around that have degrees but just decided they didn't want the hassle of a commission. By the same token you could have a PhD in Nuclear Physics and still be a nugget and not meet the requirements for commissioned / aircrew service. Personal qualities rather than a long list of qualifications will get you in and promoted.

And no, you don't spend all your time flying; in fact, depending on what ac you end up on, you will probably spend most of your time on the ground, waiting for ac to become serviceable, planning or doing countless other associated and secondary duties.

L J R
26th Apr 2006, 21:25
Fly Jets, Drop bombs - cool...

(ME similar)
(RW similar) etc...

Spend lots of time planning above.
Spend lots of time getting qualified / reading about getting good / geting competent / getting good / Supervising / instructing same.....

As for the other 'free' hour in the 12 hour working day.....

You normally equally divide your time doing:

Times Officer
Categorisation Officer
Mess Committee Member
Standardisation Officer
ATC liaison Officer
Snack Bar Officer
Social Club Officer
Entertainment Officer
DETCO planning
Deputy Flight Commander
Unit History Officer
Publications Officer
Navigation Officer
Auth Desk
DAO
CCS
Bleep Test
Swimming Test
Annual Dental
Annual Medical
Pistol Shoot
Study for ATPL (Oh I forgot, you are only 18 and haven't even joined yet - sorry)

...and other duties as assigned

You then get to do some personal admin (when JPA online!)

Finally, you are occasionally seen in crew room where you banter other squadrons.

Then it is time to go home........

Kiss wife, kick dog (make sure you get this one in the correct order), go to sleep and wake to .... (see above).

.....and that is while you are waiting for next det to somewhere sandy and soon to be ooohhh so familiar. (You have seen groundhog day right??)

Spawney
26th Apr 2006, 21:39
Ahh right, That sounds quite cool. I'm not put off by any of the above tasks.

Apart from 1!

I CAN swim, but not very far! - I feel that with practice I will swim a lot better, I guess theres a certain distance you have to be able to swim?

UnderPowered
26th Apr 2006, 21:47
I'm not put off by any of the above tasks.

Now THAT'S the spirit.

The swim test is not a drama. If you need to practice, then do so, and all will be well. As I recall (it was a while ago) you only do it once and its valid for life. Its only for aircrew, it was 6 lengths (any stroke) followed by a couple of mins treading water, and, I think, a minute or 2 treading water without arms (simulating ejection injuries). Worth the pain to be a pilot. Actually, being a pilot in the RAF is worth going through a whole world of pain.

PS Watch out for the Dunker if you go Helos. Some kind of upside down trapped in a helicopter underwater. Never done it but the helo mates have, so it can't be impossible.

Spawney
26th Apr 2006, 22:03
Ahh right, the 'Dunker' seems quite a daunting task... But im sure I will get through it.

Final Question (Honest!)

On the RAF website, it says you start off on £30k once youve passed training, but on a seperate part of the website it said

-Pilot Officer £21,250

Just wondering on the pay scales.

I'm looking forward to applying for the RAF, it all sounds good, and cant wait to join you lot there!

L J R
26th Apr 2006, 22:07
'cos unfortunately your training is rarely complete as a PLTOFF / FLGOFF. Most are FLTLT by time they COMMENCE OCU and have held for over 2 years between IOT / EFT / 1FTS / 4FTS etc....

Spawney
26th Apr 2006, 22:17
Aha, ok. So basically its going to be 2-3 years before I see the £30k then?

Thank you for all your help by the way :D

Norwester
26th Apr 2006, 23:02
Don't join the RAF for money! It definitely won't make you rich!
You have to think of it as a lifestyle choice above all else and really want it.

Spawney
26th Apr 2006, 23:31
Yeah, dont get me wrong, I would LOVE to fly in the RAF... I just dont want to be on a base salary for the rest of Life... It would be nice to see the £50k mark... What are the chances of that?

eagle 86
26th Apr 2006, 23:40
I really don't think you are cut out for service life.
GAGS E86

Spawney
26th Apr 2006, 23:43
I really don't think you are cut out for service life.
GAGS E86

OK. And your reason being?

plans123
26th Apr 2006, 23:54
You must realise its not a job in the city, its not 9-5, you do lots of things you don't really want to and go places that you don't really want to and its not because you want to earn 50K. You're coming across as materialistic and If you're thinking like that - then I wouldn't want you with me on det.

Dan Winterland
27th Apr 2006, 04:03
A life in the military is not just a job - it's as I described. Your life. This may sound drastic, but it does not give you the freedom to do live the way you would in a civilian job. This is not necessarily a negative, lots of people enjoy it. But you have to give yourself to the job and make lots of concessions to enjoy the rewards it can bring.

Your comment about 'not going home for the first 6 weeks' makes me think you have little idea of what it entails. It's true, you won't get home in the first 6 weeks, but if you think your life will return to what you were used to - think again! You will be on frequent deployemnts - my record was 8 months away in one year.

I'm not trying to put you off, but it appears you need to do more research and decide whether it's for you. The competition for pilot is very fierce, you will need to be very well prepared to stand a chance of selection. And don't join for the money!

The RAF only recruits qualified dentists so you will have to qualify and get some practice experience if you are serious.

Safety_Helmut
27th Apr 2006, 08:00
Spawney, are you really 18, or 8 ?

Stringy
27th Apr 2006, 09:14
God, I know when I finish IOT (on IOT in July) I'm not going to be caring about the money! £21k will be more money then I've ever had before, I'm not going to be saying "Damn, I can't wait til I reach Flt Lt so I can start earning £30k+".

If you want to earn megabucks go fly an airliner.

ProfessionalStudent
27th Apr 2006, 09:52
No reason why, as a Flt Lt you can't earn £50K+. At all.

Not a King's Ransom, but quite enough thank you very much.

If you want to be rich, marry a rich bloke's daughter...

Spawney
27th Apr 2006, 10:51
Spawney, are you really 18, or 8 ?

Judging by your comment i'd guess you,re 8

meag197
27th Apr 2006, 13:08
Spawney,

You have to make your mind up pretty quickly about whether you want to be a dentist or a pilot in the RAF as the cut off age for starting training as a pilot is 23yrs and 6mths. How long is a dentistry degree?

Why do you want to join the RAF anyway? If, as it seems from some of your posts, you would like to make lots of money but are not too keen on the fundamentals of RAF life (drill, PT, deployments, being sha*ted etc) then why don't you become a civilian dentist and thanks to the wonders of there not being enough dentists to go around, rake in the cash that way!

In the meantime, go to university and join a university air squadron so that you'll actually get an idea of what the RAF is all about. Go the local Armed Forces Careers Office and ask to arrange a visit to a local station and ask as many questions as you can.

By the by, I know one ex-nav who finished his time in the RAF, left, trained as a dentist, came back in and retd as a Gp Capt!:D

UnderPowered
27th Apr 2006, 19:09
Judging by your comment i'd guess you,re 8
Mate,

The blokes on this website are NOT 8. The vast majority of us are combat-experienced military men and women who have got a butt-load of t-shirts. We are also some of the most proficient combat-experienced military men and women on the planet.

So, I suggest you pin your ears back. Because if you're going to get into a pi$$ing competition with us, then:

a. You'll lose.

b. You don't stand a cat in hell's chance of getting through training, where you're going to have to stick alot worse than the odd sarcastic but poignant comment.

You've got alot of work to do. There are thousands of people in the queue with you, many of whom would get in the Guinness Book of Records for doing Drill, PT and time away from home, to be a pilot in the RAF. Go to Uni, get a grip of your own life aspirations, and then take another look at it. You WILL NOT pass selection in the near future.

And I know. It took me 6 attempts to get in, and I'm now flying fighters.

That is, unless you know better than us.....

jumpjumpjohn
27th Apr 2006, 20:12
Cut the guy a bit of slack - I don't think any of us enjoyed the a*se bits of IOT/OASC/ITC (or OACTU as it is now!), and I don't blame him for not looking forward to it. It is, however, a necessary evil to getting to where you want to be, and if you really want to be a pilot then go for it.

HOWEVER, as has been mentioned it is definitely worth sorting out WHY you want to join and most definitely what you want to join as!! If you want to make lots of money filling other people's rotten teeth then become a civvy dentist. If, however, you want to snot around in some of the best boys toys around, doing a worthwhile job for Queen and country (and for the fun of it) then I highly recommend becoming aircrew.

The pay is not fantastic but you will also never go poor (unlike those poor firemen who only get £20K+). If you stay as a Flt Lt all your life you can easily make £50K before you retire, but that is not the reason anyone joins - if a civvy company asked you to do half the things we do, or spend half as much time away, they'd be paying some LARGE 6-figure salaries!

Don't be put off by some of the snappy replies on here - there have been a few real tools asking similar questions as yourself recently and then giving some wise-ass answers when they didn't like what they were told. There is a lot of good gen both on here and in other places on the web.
Finally, go see your local RAFCIO and speak to them, possibly with a view to joining the UAS if /when you do go to uni. Good luck if you do decide to go for it.

John:ok:

eagle 86
28th Apr 2006, 00:14
JJJ and others - I think that what we have here is another little jumped up won't come down wank who hasn't got what it takes to make it!
GAGS
E86

Spawney
28th Apr 2006, 07:41
JJJ and others - I think that what we have here is another little jumped up won't come down wank who hasn't got what it takes to make it!
GAGS
E86

I have more than enough to make it.
also i was an avid member of the ATC for a couple of years.

Whats with all the crap? You wouldnt consider doing a job if the pay wasn't right, would you.

South Bound
28th Apr 2006, 07:59
Spawny

absolutely right fella. Take a look at the thread about FRI, seems to be a fair focus on cash there....

Banter here is harsh, don't take it personally, you are just posting at a different stage of life to most of the rest of us. When I went to Biggin Hill, there was no interweb so there were no fora like this to bone up on stuff and ask questions. At least you have taken the time to do a bit of research.

Ignore the stuff that seems like it is personal, but it is just HUGELY unusual to get someone asking very simple questions when they haven't decided what they want to do at Uni - to some of us that just smacks of a lack of commitment to the job we all pretend we don't love anymore.

Whatever anyone here says, being aircrew is one of the best jobs in the World. Being a dentist makes you loads of cash...you decide

Dimensional
28th Apr 2006, 12:58
Whats with all the crap? You wouldnt consider doing a job if the pay wasn't right, would you.
Actually, I would ... I didn't give a snuff about the pay scale when I applied (still don't, really, as long as it'll keep me in beer). I knew I wanted to fly for HMFC and that's all that matters -- and as I understand life you need a fairly high level of determination to get through the flying training mangle.

Sit down, and think about what you're saying. Do you really think you're going to cope with six years of what is likely to be the hardest training you'll ever do?

Because it doesn't sound like it at the moment.

airborne_artist
28th Apr 2006, 13:36
Actually, I would ... I didn't give a snuff about the pay scale when I applied (still don't, really, as long as it'll keep me in beer). I knew I wanted to fly for HMFC and that's all that matters -- and as I understand life you need a fairly high level of determination to get through the flying training mangle.

Agreed - to my total amazement I was paid at BRNC - OK all of £106/mth (in 1978) after deductions (but beer was 33p/pint). Imagine my total stunned shock when after 12 months seniority, trg rate flying pay, and Mrs T winning the 79 election (she instituted the 35% we were due in one hit), my gross went from £2,600 to £4,500 overnight.

At the same time the Portuguese Navy was so badly paid that most of them worked 0700-1400, and then went to their second civvy job in the pm.

rafloo
28th Apr 2006, 15:41
toatally concur. Pay is not the reason I am in the Armed Forces. There are lots of reasons I joined and pay was way down the list. There are lots of reasons Im still in and pay isnt one of them... Like the fella said. as long as Ive got enough for a couple of beers on an evening then jobsa good un.....

saynig that, when I first joined we were paid fortnightly (gawd knows why) and my first fortnightly pay was £11.....cool

I remember a few months later the pusser overpaid me and then once they had noticed, they took it all back in a oner, leaving me with a pay chit of £36 for the month....and that month we were in Gib for 3 weeks.....guess who was overdrawn that month,...tee hee

Ghostie31
28th Apr 2006, 16:43
Spawney.

Whats your background? Ever flown? cadets etc? Pulled "g" before?

eagle 86
30th Apr 2006, 09:50
Spawney old chap,
Been away for a few days - as a matter of fact spent twenty years in Pussers doing a job I loved earning HALF the pay I could have outside - its a lifestyle mate - I say again, your attitude to some of the old hands here makes me fairly convinced you don't have what it takes to make it in a Defence Force!
GAGS
E86

DSAA
30th Apr 2006, 12:24
Spawney, as somebody who is a little closer to your age bracket and was in a similar position a few years ago I can appreciate your uneasiness.

However, the advice given here so far is bob on. Decide what you want and sharpish - as meag said, if you want to take Dentistry you probably wont be able to apply pilot. When I was in upper sixth I was asking the same questions at the AFCO, their advice was simple - go to uni, decide what you want to do in life, grow up a little bit and in the mean time if you're serious about the RAF join a UAS.

I'm still on a UAS and know that the RAF is where I want to end up post graduation. The only further advice I can give from my experience is if you want a picture of the Air Force beyond the UAS bubble is to apply to a uni that falls under the catchment of a UAS operating from a front line base - ESUAS, NUAS; you're going to get a good idea of the 'big boys rules' and mess life if you spend enough time around these places. It's a win-win situation - you can visit and experience any branch you can think of without commitement to it or the RAF, you can fly the new syllabus (even though it leaves a lot to be desired) regardless of what you may like to join the Air Force as, and you still get the benefits of it being socially acceptable to drink yourself to oblivion and not get out of bed before lunchtime the following day when you're on campus.

Don't let the banter here phase you, just remember most of the guys reading this are serving already, have gone through the selection and training systems and have come out of it amongst the best in the world - in many ways they probably have earned the right to be a little cynical and critical at times.

Gen.Thomas Power
1st May 2006, 19:44
Spawney if you're the real deal and not just a wind-up merchant, get on with it and join, man. One of two things will happen: you'll either get chopped so fast (probably for attitude) that you'll be able to get on with a dentistry degree as if nothing had happened (call it a gap year or something), or you won't get chopped (because despite your attitude, you're a natural pilot) and you'll never look back.

You'd never look back because:

a) being a military pilot is so much better than being a fang-snatcher or anything else; or
b) peer pressure would be such that you couldn't live with the shame of not making it all the way to the front line and being the best pilot ever, so you just have to press on; or
c) having convinced yourself that you are the best military pilot ever, or that a) was wrong and that b) no longer mattered, you left the military, joined the airlines and spent the rest of your life living like a king; or
d) before you've realised it, you'll have grown old, tired and confused to the point where you've either forgotten why you joined, or what other careers may once have been an option, and have become too institutionalised to do anything else; or
e) a combination of the above.

:}

Fg Off Bloggs
2nd May 2006, 13:03
also i was an avid member of the ATC for a couple of years.

Spawney,

Well, if that statement is true then you didn't pay much attention while you were there, I'll be bound.

Listen, young man, to one who has been involved in officer training. The RAF attracts 5000 people a year at the Recruiting Office (your first port of call; been there?) who want to be an officer. Of these, only about 1500 go forward for selection to OASC and 500 (each year) successfully arrive at officer training where about 3% fail to make the grade! The RAF is reducing in numbers and its requirement for pilots is about 100 per year! Therefore, it is VERY SELECTIVE and YOU NEED TO SHOW COMMITMENT. Before you even think about applying you must know what you want to do and have some alternatives that are linked. For example, if I cannot be a pilot, I might be a WSO, or try ATC! Dentists are employed as dentists (although I did know a vet and a doctor who joined as aircrew) once they have qualified and been to university. I suspect that if OASC received an application with Pilot & Dentist as the 2 choices, because they are so diametrically opposed (in RAF recruitment terms), they would not even offer an interview.

So, the way ahead for you, young Spawney, is to get yourself down to your RAF Recruiting Office and ask a few questions off the record. Adopt the approach, "I'm only 18 and I am interested in becoming an officer in the RAF; flying or ground branches, what can you tell me please?" They will be only too pleased to assist. Then drop in, "I'm quite keen to go to university to do dentistry; what options are there for dentists?". Now you have them hooked; you've shown yourself to be mature; they have you on the database; they will guide you through the process; and you will either succeed or fail but at least you will fail based upon an official understanding of what was required.

On merit, it's better to come to selection for officer armed with a university degree but A-Levels will get you in if you meet the very high and demanding criteria set. Reading between the lines of your posts here (and I suspect others who have replied hostilely might agree) it sounds to me as if you would benefit from gaining a little experience of life either at university or by taking a gap challenge (the latter will be well thought of) before you actually apply (you could even join the University Air Squadron and experience the RAF that way). Such a route would allow you time to gain knowledge, grow up a little and therefore fair better once you start the process. Right now, based upon what I read from you here, you wouldn't get past first base.

Good luck.;)

Bloggs

PS. I apologise if I have repeated anything others might have said, I admit I didn't read it all through.

Flap62
2nd May 2006, 14:12
Whilst I agree that some of Spawneys comments have displayed a certain naivity, I think that some of the replies he has received have been overly aggressive. It is no point in just shooting him down in flames time after time (Eag86), either give him useful advice or flame him once and leave it at that.

For what it's worth I think that his attitude is typical of many. Modern educational culture is so driven towards future earning potential to pay off student loans etc that it's hardly surprising that we see posters with the "how much can I earn and then go civvy" attitude.

Worrying about 6 or 18 weeks of bull and not going home illustrates another point. If I had been told on joining that IOT was two years I would have cracked on if I had the chance of FJ flying at the end of it. I personally had no idea of the pay scales on joining - some people will think that foolish but it came very low on my list of priorities.

Big Bear
2nd May 2006, 21:56
I'd be happy if JPA knew what my pay scale was :*

navibrator
3rd May 2006, 12:20
Anyone noticed that Spawney has gone quiet?

I haven't laughed so much for ages. Clearly by the way he writes, he's a wind-up merchant.

If all he is worried about is not having some free time, not having enough money and having to do some physical exercise, he's looking at the wrong career. I suggest he becomes a dentist - one who gets paid by the taxpayer for his training and then doesn't support the NHS as a NHS Dentist.

Yes - old and bitter but then I am still waiting for JPA to come on line! - oops - wrong thread!

BluntM8
3rd May 2006, 15:42
God, I know when I finish IOT (on IOT in July) I'm not going to be caring about the money! £21k will be more money then I've ever had before, I'm not going to be saying "Damn, I can't wait til I reach Flt Lt so I can start earning £30k+".

You will when everyone you grad with starts to buy sports cars...:)

UnderPowered
3rd May 2006, 19:08
I have more than enough to make it.

Man this guy's good! I've been flying aeroplanes for 20 years, and single seat fighters for 12, and I only got confident that I'd got what it took about 2 years ago!

eagle 86
3rd May 2006, 22:05
For the last time - Spawney was a dick!
GAGS
E86

buoy15
3rd May 2006, 22:14
RAF dentists have more skill than pilots
They can make you feel less nervous in about 2 minutes
John McQuaid, where are you?

Spawney
3rd May 2006, 23:10
Anyone noticed that Spawney has gone quiet?

I haven't laughed so much for ages. Clearly by the way he writes, he's a wind-up merchant.

If all he is worried about is not having some free time, not having enough money and having to do some physical exercise, he's looking at the wrong career. I suggest he becomes a dentist - one who gets paid by the taxpayer for his training and then doesn't support the NHS as a NHS Dentist.

Yes - old and bitter but then I am still waiting for JPA to come on line! - oops - wrong thread!

Ive gone quiet because I refuse to listen to crap from 'Internet warriors'.

I came on looking for advice, not a flaming match.

Looks like I came on the wrong site for advice.

UnderPowered
3rd May 2006, 23:29
Mate,

Here's the thing.

Alot of the stuff that you've focussed on has been peripheral stuff - time off, money, PT, drill. When people have responded to this, with authority, in typical RAF speak, you've bitten back. If you do this at selection, or in training, you'll be had.

What you need to do on this site, given your position, is be very, very humble, and give guys a clue that you have 'the right stuff'. If you do, they'll help. We thrive on looking after each other. As long as we have mutual respect.

An 18 year old wannabe is most welcome on this site. We'll spend time with you. If we think you're worth our time. If you show potential. If you're thinking of joining any part of the RAF, you've got to be a special kind of character.

If you're not that special kind of character, then you'll be slayed. So - figure out the character issues, by heeding the advice on this thread, and then apply. And if you're good enough, you'll make it. But ALL OF THIS STARTS WITH A BIT OF HUMILITY.

I wish you all the best. I was once 18 and wanted to be a pilot. I made it. BUT - I did not make it by being inflammatory with the dudes who were already wearing the t-shirt. I'm betting that if you created yourself a new username and started a new thread with the title "Teach me, Obi Wan", you'll get a completely different response.

Once again, good luck.

ProfessionalStudent
3rd May 2006, 23:35
Spawney. If you're worth your salt, you'll sort the wheat from the chaff and come to your own conclusions. There's some good advice here (look carefully). You're right in saying that pay is a consideration, but they're right when saying that pay shouldn't be a driver...

If you want a bit of both, work hard, get in, work harder, earn a pittance, get out, work less hard, earn a packet. Look on it as an apprenticeship and you'll not go far wrong. For guys joining these days, the military is much more of a "job" than a " career", just don't say that at OASC and don't go around (presuming you get in) saying "I'm only doing this until I get a job with the airlines". As you have seen, this kind of approach can rub the old school up the wrong way...

Whatever you do, good luck, but don't be quite so keen to rise to the bait old boy... :ok:

Fg Off Bloggs
4th May 2006, 12:53
Spawney,

I hope that you are still out there and reading, if not responding, to this thread.

I urge you to read again my previous post, the information therein was posted in good faith. When I worked at Cranwell on Off Trg too many very keen 18 year olds fell by the way side for lacking maturity; many of them were hurt and surprised that that was so because they had had a burning desire from a very young age to be pilots in the RAF. Some were surprised that their Air Cadet experience had been an encumbrance rather than a boon! Some came back later having 'grown up' and were highly successful. You, from your posts, have given the impression that you have 'just had a good idea'.

Take heed of the encouraging words on your thread and ignore the others. 'Underpowered' has got it right, read him again. Use the 'Search' option to find the answer to some of your questions; that might even get you in contact with others who wish to (or have recently) follow a similar path.

My last word. It's a tough road to gain the Queen's Commission let alone gain your wings. Many have tried and many have failed; it takes courage and commitment but most of all it takes maturity and a thick skin!

Once again, Good Luck!:ok:

Bloggs.

noonoos
23rd May 2006, 18:54
I've just been given my bursary to be a pilot, and I worked my arse off for it. The only advice I can give you spawney is that you need to convince those at OASC that you really want this. From the threads you've left I really get the impression you think it'd be cool to be a pilot, but you don't really want the **** that comes with it...
From everything I have been told about the Air Force, the thing I've been told most is that the RAF is a lifestyle, not just a job, and I suggest you treat it like that. That's what I intend to do when I get there.
I wish you all the best, but if you don't change your attitude then they'll pick up on it at Cranwell and you'll get nowhere.
Noonoos

Pontius Navigator
23rd May 2006, 19:28
Apart from rising like a fish to the bait :} there is a notable feature about Spawney's posts.

They are actually articulate, punctuated and capitalised and avoid text speak. There is hope yet.

As for family life, we I got engaged I briefed Mrs PN that there were priorities and she was not number one. She accepted that. She wants the benefits she had to share the pain.

Sprog 2 was due, we are talking hours not days, and my crew was on its second ops sortie in a couple of days at a detached base. No contest.

After our ops sortie the crew pulled every stop (actually we pulled a few before flight too) and we flew over 18 hours in the 48 hours before the sprog arrived.

But team spirit is what it is all about.