PDA

View Full Version : Fingerprint scanner at Essendon

Squawk7700
26th Apr 2006, 12:00
I was most surprised to see a newly installed fingerprint scanner at Essendon yesterday for Pilots to exit airside.

To activate, the visitor must enter a series of numbers, eg. 1111, 1, 1, 1, then their 6 digit arn number; at which point they can place 1 or more fingers individually on the fingerprint scanner to be recorded for future use.

When you come back again, you walk up to the hole in the fence, pull the scanner around towards you, press # and apply your finger to the scanner thus operating the turnstile.

Seems to work well.

In theory however, if you knew what was written on the laminated a3 sheet on the indide of the fence, ie. if you pulled it off the fence from the outside, you could pull it through then use the instructions, enter a dodgey arn number and grant access! Only problem is that your fingerprint is recorded I guess.

rpasslow
26th Apr 2006, 12:13
First post to pprune and i know its going to get some strange looks but you could always just substitute a jelly baby...

Do your research on biometrics :)

Rob

Pass-A-Frozo
26th Apr 2006, 12:31
Never read up on biometrics really. Can you use your schlong? :}

Squawk7700
26th Apr 2006, 12:53
If you do a dodgey, the security camera is pointing at you anyway!

currawong
26th Apr 2006, 13:02
Should be right to use your name then:E

Pass-A-Frozo
26th Apr 2006, 13:05
hahaha... touche'!!! :}

PLovett
27th Apr 2006, 03:55
I'd be very suprised if the things legal.

Its recording fingerprints against an identifiable source (ARN) and to my now dim memory that is illegal unless a convicted criminal and even then I think it was only the police who could store such information.