PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful Weber!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

stbd beam
25th Apr 2006, 19:36
In these times of excess frivolity, not taking it seriously, ridiculing the system (JPA etc), I thought a little dose of good old fashioned, spirited military banter might be in order ...............

HOW GOOD DOES YOUR WEBER BARBEQUE LOOK ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I bought my Weber home from Florida in 1992 and it's still going great (no I'm not a pikey and yes I could afford another one if I really wanted to) and I'm desperate to know how many others out there have the same feelings of joy when it gets rolled out of the shed (a bit like a fat WAAF - oops!).

I'd love to know who of you have a Weber in great condition, that has survived the storms, the drunken saturday afternoons (enjoy your alcohol responsibly) and maybe has a tale or two of its own to tell. To qualify, it (you can submit it's name if necessary) must be a three wheeled 22.5 inch kettle BBQ and must have been used .... yes, and maybe abused .... in a temperate climate, so none of your stories from hot places saying 'mine has no rust' (Charlie Luncher).

For the record, my old girl has more than a few knocks and bruises, the spot welds on the top handle are about to expire and the sockets where the legs attach (oo-er missus) have seen better days. On a positive note, her red enamel finish is still gorgeous, and she cooks a mean burger (shame about the dusting, ironing and balancing the cheque book!)

Go on, you know you want to, tell us a story, I'm a doctor etc .........

Here's one for starters - Beags, using your powers of deductive reasoning, how many wheeled 22.5 inch kettle BBQs do you reckon the VC10 fleet has bought home from places overseas??

SB

(To coin a phrase - all typing incidents are alcohol induced)

Lionel Lion
25th Apr 2006, 20:09
A little known fact is that the basic mass (APS) of a VC10 actually includes 2 Webers I'll have you know.

Just updated and moded mine for the summer. Tried to persuade the wife into procuring a Tranche 2 gas version but she capped the budget and only allowed me to buy a new grill (57 cm) instead

:D

SirPercyWare-Armitag
25th Apr 2006, 20:15
My mini-Weber is a relative babe in comparison. Bought on det in '98 and still providing a robust contribution to my expanding waist line. Fond memories of it being bodged to the back of my bicycle for the summer mess livers-in cycling trips to the beach.....1/2 hour there.....3 hours and a MT call out to get back.
It was deployed to London for Proms in the Park last year but sadly was left behind in favour of a tuck hamper from F&M.
All sounds a bit Enid Blyton with hindsight but definitely helped underpin my effects based barbecuing

c130jbloke
25th Apr 2006, 20:24
I turned to the dark side and bought a char broil. It's big, black and beautiful (the BBQ that is). 0 to hamburger in 5 mins flat !

:} :}

Rev I. Tin
25th Apr 2006, 20:24
Got a new Weber (tm) from USA delivered to RAFLO who popped it on passing plane Brize bound. Arrived last week.

Ordered on t'internet with free delivery (WTF is shipping when it is nowhere near water?).

Turns perfectly good food into a briquette and dark clouds threaten at approx half the UK price.

Blessed is my Weber (tm)

BEagle
25th Apr 2006, 20:38
Well, I bought my Weber in late 1988 and it has had a busy life. When I was doing my CFS course in 1989, every summer weekend when I bailed out from Scampers it was merrily cooking one, if not two meals.

Last year the propellor thing which wiggles out the cack from its bowels finally died - but I found a supplier of new bits on the Interweb and now she's as good as ever!

Top tip to save the coals is to use the wire bits which clip to the main grid thing for roasting chooks and just put the coals in the middle. Also close everything off as soon as you've finished cooking and there should be a goodly number of reusable bricquettes still usable!

Should you choose to use the rip-off 'Jack Daniels' wood chips to add a smoky flavour to your snorkers, just use a SMALL quantity and soak them first! The first time I gave that a whirl, the neighbourhood went IMC!

Don't buy the 26" unless you regularly feed the 5000 as the volume of coals needed is proportional to the cube of the diameter! Thus a 26 uses huge amounts more than a 22".

The record I've seen in the back of the VC10K was 8 x 22" - plus one smoking thing which looked like an Atlas missile silo. The proud owner's wife was NOT impressed!

6nandneutral
25th Apr 2006, 20:39
After 18 years of Webering, both of my beloved smoke generators which were transported courtesy of Albert Airways have now gone. My 1st one lasted about 14 years and I gave my second one to a neighbours relative. Went over to gas last year, the way ahead, also purely by coincidence I went from K to J. Maybe its time to move on son. (Burnt Biscuits to Burgers). However for all you flare up fanatics and smoke gets in your eyes peeps you can prolong the life of of your old faithful by going on the web and getting some spare parts.

BEagle
25th Apr 2006, 20:50
Gas is bloody cheating!

Man - make fire, kill dinosaur, cook same! Drink beer. Woman do salady stuff!

Once ran out of the approved firelighters and that squirty gunge which is supposed to help the coals to light...

Hmm, thought I. What do I have in the garage which might work? Ah-ha - a jamjar full of 100LL left over from the daily water sample at the flying club. A little of that should work, so pour it on.... But can be explosive, so let it soak into the bricquettes. Small snag - how to light it? Spot bottle of industrial spirit....a little of that should do the trick! Wrap bit of paper towel around end of garden rake, light towel and wave hopefully over coals from a safe distance......

WHOOMPH!!

Yes, well top marks for ingenuity, that got the coals going. NOT to be recommended though!

stbd beam
25th Apr 2006, 21:41
I'd like to express similar sentiments - the male owners of all gas bbq's are gay beyond the pale ..... FIRE ..... here endeth the sermon. Blokes, pay attention!

BEags - that's not what I asked - we need stats, gross tonnage etc.

Top tip about closing everything off as soon as you've finished cooking to save coals. Unfortunately I'm normally completely w*nkered at this stage so tip of no use! Mrs stbd beam no use for salad either unless 'tis Smirnoff cucumber or white wine potato salad.

Tried petrol too once - oops!

Rev I. Tin
25th Apr 2006, 21:46
GAS???

You might as well drag your oven out of the kitchen!

It's obscene man!!

Blessed is the charcoal.

Pub User
25th Apr 2006, 21:46
- the male owners of all gas bbq's are gay beyond the pale ..

Very true.

Roland Pulfrew
25th Apr 2006, 21:50
I was encouraged to buy a Weber on my first Stateside detachment in 1986. Duly bought 22" Weber, one of 4 on that flight back to ISK IIRC, and wondered "why?" as I lived in the Mess at the time!! Still it got good use in the Mess and has served well ever since. It does have a few dents, but little rust, the biggest problem now is the foreleg tends to fall off everytime I wheel it over my somewhat uneven patio. New Patio? New Weber? New patio - obviously!!!

Gas? Cheating!!

k3k3
25th Apr 2006, 21:54
The wooden handle on mine has a very nice charcoal finish (all the way through) after being too enthusiastic once with an unidentified starter fluid that smelled as if it might burn ok. It went up like avpin.

Under the afluence of incahol of course!

kippermate
25th Apr 2006, 22:18
I got my first Webber (22" kettle) on a trip to Sig in 93 and, showing the true singly desire to get rid of all my allowances bought another one; the little shoe box size. Still use them both.

kipper

Charlie Luncher
26th Apr 2006, 00:35
Dude
You forget my old girl was exposed to the delights of the ISK and UK summer seasons, had to convert her to gas as they are scared of me torching the state, converted back now only used in winter. But just like me she gets the wobbly leg going after a bit of a sess. Set fire to me lawn at easter due wobbly leg and only minor burns to me though.:sad:

Charlie sends

Dan Winterland
26th Apr 2006, 01:29
Bought my first 22 incher in 1987 for $35 at a labor (sic) day sale. Replaced it in 1998 with a new one and gave the old one to the inlaws. Both look the same and both are going well. Also bought the smaller Smokey Joe which now has a bit of rust on the bottom and also kills any grass underneath it.

All were bought back to the UK in a VC10!

However, I'm ashamed to say that I have now bought a gay gas model. This is because I now live in the Far East where the local charcoal doesn't light at all or burns to white dust in 10 seconds flat. (I mention just to desperately justify my purchase!). However, the results aren't as good as a Weber, it burns the food too easily and it doesn't taste the same. Perhaps this is due to the fact that despite having bought it in China, I later discovered it was made in Kidderminster!

Hey BEagle. I remember the 8 weber States trainer. My second Weber was one of those 8! And the minuteman silo was purchased by an ex shopping command Nav who tried to explain to his Mrs how they were going to cook the Christmas turkey in it!!!!

buoy15
26th Apr 2006, 02:25
Beags
Don't knock the Atlas silo smoker
USN exchange mate cooked a 25lb Thanksgiving bird overnight in his garage
(about 10 hours)
Best I've ever tasted - certainly beats cold turkey mid week!:ok:

Roadster280
26th Apr 2006, 03:53
Fellow Weberites,

My first was a tricycle 22.5" red enamelled basic-as-you-like job. Still had it up til last year when the (now ex-)wife decided that being married wasn't a good thing. It would have had its tenth birthday this year.

It was so good, I augmented it with a 22.5" Platinum, that had a much better ash receiver and a four wheeled cart attached, with work surface. Fantastic.

Also got a Smokey Joe for $hits and giggles at the beach.

However, now I actually live in the land of their provenance, I am fortunate enough to own the "Performer". This is is the crowning glory of all Webers. The BEST ever. Basically it is the same 22.5" kettle, charcoal burning man-toy as previously. HOWEVER, the clever chaps in Palatine, IL, have incorporated a gas ignition system for the charcoal. The gas burner is lit for 5 mins or so, which gets the coals good and red, then just shut off the gas system and then leave the coals to go white. 20 mins later, ready to go. The Dog's Bollocks.

BEagle- RTFM. Coals go OUTSIDE the wire retainers for indirect cooking, does a great job of ribs, whole poultry etc, and uses even fewer coals. Some models have baskets the coals go in, and can be moved about. Tends to avoid burger>briquette syndrome.

Original Kingsford briquettes also the best. Would they be DAC?

The only bad thing is I can't get Walls' sausages!!

BEagle
26th Apr 2006, 05:14
Yes, for indirect cookng that's very true. However, I just leave the chook wirejobbers in and put the charcoal inside for direct cooking. You can then move some food to the cooler edges to keep it hot without turning to carbon if other stuff is still a bit pink.

Moist and pink is OK for some things, not so for chook or pork!

Sorry, Roadster280, but gas is gay!!

Next thing you'll be admitting to owning a Porsche Boxter :yuk: !

Gainesy
26th Apr 2006, 07:09
Bunchapoofs.

Get a 45gal oil drum, cut in half lengthways, cook over oak/beech logs.:p :)

Smudger552
26th Apr 2006, 07:49
3 Webers in the family now. A 22 in kettle, a Smokey Joe (Baby) plus as a result of a Stateside tour a gas Weber 'Q' for those times when I have forgotten to get the charcoal! Also got a monster gas Charbroil.....we eat alfresco alot!

Original Kettle now 15 yrs old and still going strong, had to fix that wonky foreleg that falls out though!!

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Apr 2006, 08:05
This is incredibly timely as todays top job for me is to source a BBQ..

Cheers!

endplay
26th Apr 2006, 08:23
Bought mine in the 80's at Bruggen. Couldn't squeeze it onto the removals van so left it with a mate who got it on a herc to Lyneham and I collected it from there. It had the old wooden handles which finally fell apart so I knitted some new ones from an old broom handle. I'm not pikey and would have bought replacements if I could but the new ones are bakelite and don't fit. Would have got it's LSGM by now if I hadn't burnt my hand during the last moments of the handles life.
Gas be bu****ed!

GengisKhant
26th Apr 2006, 09:14
Picked up 4 webers from BX in Osan on a VC10 Gurkah rotation to their cerimonial duties at Panmunjom. One had been purchased specifically for use on unit BBQs - unit had the task of hosting many Senior Officers (and their indulgence wifes) from UK, who just happen to have a requirement to visit HKG as part of their 'Official' duties, and getting nearer to 97, the visits picked up somewhat. Upshot was that with such heavy usage, Webber gave up the ghost within a year..., mind you, the 80%+ humidity, and the beating it took getting blown around the unit car park in a category 4 typhoon did play a part in its demise.

We picked up a replacement and some additional Webbers for our local Army mess on a trip to Okinawa - we had chartered a Heavy Lift Belfast as the load out was such that it would not fit into anything we had available at the time, and as the a/c was empty on the return leg, decided that a dozen or so webbers would make no difference.

The best laid plans o' mice and men....

The movers got delayed at the BX which we found out later, was about 5 miles from the isolated pan we were allocated. After off-load, Capt of Belfast decided to depart early, received clearance, refused to wait for Movers, and started engines for early departure...., the rest as they say is history - but history that is known to a select few!!!!

Suffice to say that the Okinawa Webber run (as it became known locally),
was the talking point around many BBQs in the colony for some time after.

GengisK :ok:

Monty77
26th Apr 2006, 10:33
You charcoaleers are all stuck in the rut of yesteryear. Gas is the way ahead! I got me an Optimus 24" Firerite with auto-ignition, twin-swirl combustion chambers, 360 castoring rollers and side hung foldaway stove. It's the Typhoon of the Saturday afternoon patio scene. Anybody who slags me off is a technophobic caveman (or lady) who fears change!

OK, I'll say it,"Jehovah!" :)

Roadster280
26th Apr 2006, 10:55
I fully agree, grilling on gas is as gay as it comes. I only use it to start the coals. No mess/difficulty, no paraffin taste, less oily residue on the grill, it's the way ahead.

As for what I drive, certainly not a Boxster. Good ole' American 250hp V6 19mpg thingy. No shortage of testosterone at my house. I wrote my last post shortly after the pink and moist thing had left...

And grilling inch thick steak tonight....

A2QFI
26th Apr 2006, 10:56
My limited experience is that gas does not heat nearly as well as charcoal and with gas one needs a few wood chips to create the flavoursome and carcinogenic smoke! The first time I cooked on a charcoal BBQ, after years with a gas one, I burned everything to crisp due to the amazing temp difference.

Smudger552
26th Apr 2006, 11:33
Horses for courses really. I used to be a complete charcoal snob and scoffed at the gay gas users. Now, having the benefit of both I can appreciate the pluses and minuses. For example trying to cook a Beer Butt Chicken on a charcoal grill is a real faf and often the lack of heat control means the outside of the bird is burned or the beer boils over and puts the charcoal out! That said you can't beat a charcoal grill for burgers and bangers that need that carbon taste! Use both I say, just for different stuff!:=

Smudge

gonesurfin
26th Apr 2006, 18:29
Wber Q gives me all the fire power I need to grill big and it comes with a set of wheels to drag it down the beach. Last time I flew it, I loaded it up with two 1 inch thick porterhouses and two 1 1/2 pound lobsters..plenty of room. No mess, no cleaning = more time playing! Not burning my eyebrows off every time I try to light it helps too!!
Aloha!

26th Apr 2006, 18:33
Top accessory is the tin tube with a handle on it and a metal grill near the bottom - fill with charcoal/briquettes with a firelighter at the bottom, stand tube on lower BBQ grill on top of second (lit) firelighter. Leave for 25 mins and then pour grey, ready to cook charcoal either on inside or outside of wire restrainer thingies and crack on. Made by Weber, about £8 in the shops.
Have done 16lb Christmas Turkey using indirect cooking - fabulous but don't forget to use a foil tray full of water to help steam it and keep it moist.

Lionel Lion
26th Apr 2006, 18:42
WEBF - you could make one out of a SHAR for posterity

:E

Roland Pulfrew
26th Apr 2006, 19:01
Top accessory is the tin tube with a handle on it and a metal grill near the bottom - fill with charcoal/briquettes with a firelighter at the bottom, stand tube on lower BBQ grill on top of second (lit) firelighter. Leave for 25 mins and then pour grey, ready to cook charcoal either on inside or outside of wire restrainer thingies and crack on. Made by Weber, about £8 in the shops.
Have done 16lb Christmas Turkey using indirect cooking - fabulous but don't forget to use a foil tray full of water to help steam it and keep it moist.

My father-in-law bought me one of these gadgets for Christmas, undoubtedly the best present I have ever had from him!!:ok: Light to cooking in about 15 mins I find. I have also done the Christmas turkey on the bbq (indirect method), and a 4 rib of beef and legs of lamb. All come out 'bootiful', perfectly cooked with just a hint of a smoked favour. Roll on the bank holiday weekend, now if I could only use my pressure washer to give the Weber a clean - b:mad:y Thames Water!!

BEagle
26th Apr 2006, 19:29
Roly, was it this thing:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/87886.jpg

They cost about £18 from the place which supplied me with the hardware kit to unbugger my Weber, http://www.supergreenthumb.com

They also provide spare bits for gas gays.

On a totally different note, to petrolheads of a certain age, 'Weber' means twin fortys! As in 2 x 40DCOE carbs, the RR of bolt-on performance before the days of chavs 'n chips!

South Bound
26th Apr 2006, 19:33
Beags

phew, I thought all this BBQ talk was getting a bit surreal there, but then we got onto carbs and I feel a whole lot better. Makes me want to go and start mine up and make lots of noise. Nice photo tho matey - that you? Dodgy looking gloves - no pretending it is an advert, we know the truth!

BEagle
26th Apr 2006, 19:41
No - I'm not sensible enough to use gloves or that complicated fire lighter thing! Just the barbi'-gloop from Waitrose plus some firelighters and supermarket sharkhole, light, watch the flames blaze merrily and wait for a beer or few......30-ish minutes seems about right.

Always wanted a GT6 with the full-Monte SAH-tuning triple 40DCOEs and tuned twin exhaust. Cash never met desire though.....

maxburner
26th Apr 2006, 20:24
I had a 22" Weber for years - obtained in the US of course. Me and Mrs Max spent many happy evenings lighting it, eventually cooking on it and then sitting around it on pleasant but chilly UK summer evenings. But all good things must pass and a couple of years ago we invested in a - yes - gas Weber. It's brilliant. It lights instantly. The food tastes EXACTLY the same as from the old charcoal thingy. Does that make me gay? If so, I'm the only one in this village! No, I prefer to think that it shows I'm ready to adapt to the 21st century. So guys, give up the old charcoal monsters and move with the times. By the way, what's wrong with a Boxster?

Happy cooking everyone.:ok:

L J R
26th Apr 2006, 20:34
My first Webber cost £18 (US $ conversion in BX early '80s blah blah) - I aint gonna spend same on a device that starts it!.

Broken leg fixed by drill hole across leg and leg mounting with 6p bolt through entire thing. - Needs tightening annually.

Got an all black one - yep.... still black today!

SSOT
26th Apr 2006, 20:49
I'm glad someone mentioned Rolls-Royce. My father-in-law gets a far-off look in his eyes, goes a bit misty and mutters something about 'Rolls-Royce of barbeques' when he lights his.

The boys got me one as a wedding present on the basis that i'd have no excuses not to lay on a barbeque when they Taceval me.

Roland Pulfrew
26th Apr 2006, 21:49
BEags

That's the gadget, it's ace at getting charcoal from cold to cooking hot in minutes. One match and some rolled up newspaper (I find that the Sunday Times works best) so no need for firelighters and a slow build up.

I too am too stupid to wear those dodgy looking gloves, but then I haven't burned myself yet (occasional smell of singeing hair though)!:ouch:

diginagain
26th Apr 2006, 22:48
Just be careful...........

The Boss of a local AEF is currently ground-bound as a result of a self-inflicted burn.

Take care, out there.

Charlie Luncher
26th Apr 2006, 23:46
Just for my clarity

When muggins here built the new estate, thanks to the UK property boom, I had mains gas plumbed to the back of the house for the BBQ. Whilst the old weber occasionally singed the eyebrows and forearm hair she never gave me a personal fireball, losing what little hair I had left and a nice sunburn on half my face. My eye lashes/brows did look like something out of Space 1999.:sad:
I still remember seeing the sticker through the heat haze "Allow to vent if not ignited on second attempt" - instructions who needs them:uhoh: .

Charlie sends
From the land of the big ass BBQ prawns(Shrimp for the locals)

Strato Q
27th Apr 2006, 00:44
As we used to say on 201, don't knock it till you've tried it! And once you've seen a crew of Kiwis spit roast a sheep you'll never go back. (If you want to witness this make sure you make it to Fincastle and the VPI reunion)

BEagle
27th Apr 2006, 05:03
Charlie Luncher, did many people living on that estate have mains gas plumbed into their barbi'?

Or were you the only gay in that village?

Gas is gay! It even goes 'poof' when you light it! Or at least my indoor fire does!!

maxburner
27th Apr 2006, 08:30
Beags, you are cruel. Now I must go as my breakfast is cooking on my nice, convenient gas Weber. Then it's into the Boxster and off to the beach for me and Mrs Max.:cool:

Triple Matched TQ
27th Apr 2006, 08:33
My first one came via The Royal Netherlands Navy back to the UK IN 1997 from the PX in San Juan - Puerto Rico. It was the baby version - The Smokey Joe. Many happy years of BBQ outside the mess (still jet black)
I am now the proud owner of a full 22 inch version.
I highly recommend the chimney fire starter - What a cool gadget. Every self respecting Weber owner should have one.

Widger
27th Apr 2006, 08:42
Bought my first one in 1990 and it came back by sea. Got plenty of use including as a brazier to keep warm in the winter (logs not coals). Used it once to burn an old 3 piece suite, the flames from the cushions were quite horrific and I was glad the chairs were no longer in the house. Cushions burnt and dripped onto wheels which caught fire as well. Was then left with a non-mobile weber. The bowl was however still fine and the ceramic coat as good as ever. Bought a new one in about 2000. Have a chimnea now to use as a brazier. Still gets used when we need extra heat......try this, handful of flour and throw it over the flames....shalakazam...shalakazoo, wooompphh!

L J R
27th Apr 2006, 12:31
Beages me old, I note that you only need 15 more posts to crack to 10K. Are you trying to get a post for each flying hour you have???

...maybe you need to get out more, or is the hot soup, rug and slippers too comportable in retirement?

Wee Weasley Welshman
27th Apr 2006, 12:44
I am now the proud owner of a Weber - One Touch Platinum 57cm CHARCOAL BBQ with the Weber cover, tools, brush, spit roaster (oo Aye Missus) and warming grill. All in black.

I also have a dedicated beer fridge and am Taceval Confident. I live in a village boasting the UK's best butcher award for several years running. Sunshine however is more of an issue. ;)

Cheers

Pureteenlard
27th Apr 2006, 14:59
This is the only beautiful weber I have . . .
http://www.panhistoria.com/Stacks/Novels/Character_Homes/homedirs/7151images/weber.jpg

SpotterFC
27th Apr 2006, 15:00
LJR said the 'p' word!!!!!!!!!:eek: That's gonna sting!

gonesurfin
27th Apr 2006, 17:02
Once owned a Lancia Fulvia...had two of those babies. That was one fast motor...unfortunately, it turned to rust even quicker.

Pureteenlard
27th Apr 2006, 18:55
Alas my deep and abiding love affair with italian cars will probably continue to cost me money until the day I die.

My last one was an Alfa 33, series 2. Ate XR3i's for breakfast, drank fuel like you wouldn't believe a 1500cc car could. Twin webers, see?

Just got it prepped for sprinting at Curbourgh and some c**t nicked it and crashed it. . .:{

STANDTO
27th Apr 2006, 19:00
introduced to the joys of Weber in 2003 by a retired FAA Commander. Came home and invested ninety nine of our earth pounds. Never looked back. Gas is dangerous

jindabyne
27th Apr 2006, 21:24
Now look, I wasn't going to contribute but following yet another night with John Smith and his friends, I feel compelled. I am an unashamed GAS man. Years ago my friendly next door neighbour, USAF exchange type, provided me with your said Weber which did stirling service over many years - much pleasure of waiting for heat to emerge, soot, ashes etc. Then, courtesy of BWoS, I spent four years in the land of the raw prawn, tinny and pokies, and discovered GAS. Not once was I subjected to rib-eye by fire - they, without exception, all adopted the gay-principle of poof it up, slap it on, turn only once, and sod the messy coals. Mine resides, after ten well-travelled years, by the garden shed - and I continue to fire the beast up with a flick, a poof, a Wolf Blass, and an aroma/taste that will match any charchoalin method. Sorry, but there it is.

Viva la Much Hoole gas, BWoS A2QFI ---

Unmissable
27th Apr 2006, 22:08
Was given a weber as a wedding present. It certainly lasted longer than the wife.....and still gives satisfaction for minimal effort.

Charlie Luncher
27th Apr 2006, 23:39
Beags old chap

The only other "people" on my estate are the staff, please, you will be accusing me being working class next! I think the gas system is german built very efficient:ooh: , if you are now thinking of a ruddy faced overweight chap in leather shorts, perhaps its time to accept:eek: .

Charlie sends
From the Luncher estate

Father Jack Hackett
28th Apr 2006, 00:04
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the most entertaining thread I've seen here for a long time - good to see we're finally addressing the important matters in life. Keep it real!

Firstly - gas. Yes it cooks stuff very efficiently but so what; so does my kitchen cooker. Gas is definitely gay!:ok:

The Weber is probably the most robust down-route steal I've ever spent rates on (remember those:* ). Although yes, the legs do sometimes fall off.

Anyway, top tip: Next time you fire up the bad boy, when you're finished, throw on a load of wood chips and put the grill back on. It burns all the crap off and you stand a good chance of not getting a nasty case of bottulism next time. Saves a lot in Brillo pads. And I don't want to go through a court case like that again.....

Gentlemen, welcome to Barbecue club.

The first rule of Barbecue club is you do not talk about barbecue club.

The first rule of Barbecue club is you DO NOT talk about barbecue club.

3rd rule of Barbecue club: If someone barfs, yacks or pukes up - it's obviously a dirty pint and nothing to do with food preparation.

4th rule: Only two Webers to a Barbecue.

5th rule: Only one Barbecue at a time fellas.

6th rule: No shirts (unless they're hawaiian) and no shoes (there's enough leather being prepared on the barbecue).

7th rule: Barbecues will go on as long as they have to.

And the 8th and final rule: if this is your first night at barbecue club - you gotta barbecue!

Roadster280
28th Apr 2006, 02:40
FJH -

Good point - how do others clean the grate? Wouldnt touch brillo pads myself, they scratch the nickel plating. I use a brass bristled brush. Not as hard as the nickel, but harder than the crud, and every now and again a good dose of 2600psi man-toy (aka pressure washer).

Of course, ex-mother-in-law used a brillo pad to clean my (previously) high gloss finish dining table.

Hawaiian shirts de rigeur, hardly worth mentioning in this esteemed company. The only qualification is your pride and joy came from Palatine, Illinois.

BEagle
28th Apr 2006, 06:30
"....I think the gas system is german built very efficient...."

Bit worrying that.

As for cleaning the grill, a wire brush is good enough to get any clinging bits of carbonised food off. Alternatively, borrow a labrador that hasn't scrounged anything to eat for an hour or so...

And StopStart, if you dare to publish that Hawaiian shirt picture.....:oh:
Charlie, if you are entertaining 'ruddy overweight chaps in leather shorts' at your gas parties, perhaps this chap will be welcome:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/gas.jpg

adrian mole
28th Apr 2006, 06:49
My present Weber bought in ABQ has served me well for the past 10 years. However, for the last three years it has been known as the "Weber Rainmaker.....". That's because evry time I wheel it out the clouds appear.

stbd beam
28th Apr 2006, 07:06
OMG - it's all gone horribly wrong .......... I wasn't expecting this, Charlie ... gulp ... tell me its not you?

it can't be, surely. Yeah I heard all the rumours - but ??£*&%&^%

ExSimGuy
28th Apr 2006, 07:59
Bunchapoofs.

Get a 45gal oil drum, cut in half lengthways, cook over oak/beech logs.:p :)
Right On Gainsey!

Only way to go! And if you want to do a bit of smoking (in the BBQ sense!) you can fit hinges so you can swivel the other half back over (so long as somebody else didn't spot the 2nd half already and put angle-iron legs on that as well ;) )

At the last ESG Mansion, I had the compound staff build me a brick jobby (complete with slots for the elecric spit - did a great Xmas Turkey one year with that) and had to laugh when I left the compound "brickie" working, as I had to nip into town to collect the custom (stainless steel) metalwork; got back to find he had got up to about 5 feet high - "Great, I can see when the underside is done without picking up the meat!" :\ Managed to knock of a few courses as the pug was still wet:ok: before installing the ash-tray.

Fuel? Charcoal plus any "interesting" logs I can lay my hands on (Eucalyptus trees here fall down in strong winds and give an unusual aroma)
Lighting? Easy - BBQ fluid if I remembered to buy some, aromatic lemon lamp-oil, if all else fails petrol/gasoline (soak charcoal but let it sit for a bit before going too close with cigarette lighter :oh: )

Must be pretty reasonable as I still have a few friends left - or maybe it's my home-brew that they all come for;)

Roland Pulfrew
28th Apr 2006, 08:06
FJH -
Good point - how do others clean the grate?

Clean the grate?? That too is surely gay. There is only one way to clean the grate before the next Barbie - FIRE!!

Is there any other way?

Mzee
28th Apr 2006, 08:29
Aaaah brings back memories - got my first one via the Herc route way back in the late 70's. Chris was a trg Capt up at Lyneham and I was an HWI at Portland.

He agreed to bring back from the US said Weber plus a Low level pole for me in exchange for 2 bottles of port and an AS12 shoot at Chesil.

Portland tower were quite concerned at my low level approach and go-around hopping up over the beach. Chris had a fine time trying to sink our barge target!:E

We both had a great many beers and BBQ's after that - Could this be called inter-service co-operation?

Agree RP - fire is the only way, mind you I would say that wouldn't I as an ex-HWI!!

Gainesy
28th Apr 2006, 09:31
The SAAF station workshops at AFB Ysterplaat used to do a fine line in braais made from "redundant":rolleyes: sea-lane marker buoys.

On a similar note, how many windsurfer boards and masts can you fit in an E-3 (without poking holes in the aircraft)?:E

Descend to What Height?!?
28th Apr 2006, 11:54
:ok:
I'm with Ex Sim Guy and Gainsay!
Only way to go is 45 gallon drum. Ours was mounted on a "borrowed" shopping trolly, and was wheeled around to many a fine hanger party.
:ok: :)

BEagle
28th Apr 2006, 12:01
At least the 45 gall jobber doesn't need gas!

But a bit inconvenient for the average private house garden - unless you happen to be a resident of a pikey colony?

Weber - there is none better for true charcoholics. Who emphatically do not live in Llanddewi Brefi!

Roadster280
28th Apr 2006, 12:20
Is there such a term as "double gay"? What colour now Beags?

As in a gas barbecue with clean grate?

F***ing pansies cooking on gas....tut tut.

Coal, coal and more coal. Just dont make life so hard lighting the ba$tard!

maxburner
28th Apr 2006, 18:32
Check out this link and eat your hearts out. Gas is the way of the future!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000659KBY/qid=1146248929/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-1549740-1487866?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=garden&v=glance&n=286168

BEagle
28th Apr 2006, 19:21
As Dafydd would oft remark, "Oooooh, now there's lovely..."

[http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Gas2.jpg

Gas is gay!!

L J R
28th Apr 2006, 21:11
You appear to know how to find images of such individuals easily sir, a trawl of your hard drive would surely find other images of dubious taste!!

worrying really.........

Pub User
28th Apr 2006, 21:48
Maxburner
From your link:
This grill really is fantastic. I've had it for 2 months now, with absolutely no buyers remorse at all.
Pros:
1. Excellent heat control with a 3-zone heating system. Turn off the middle zone, and you go from direct heating to convection style grilling. I'm finding the capability to switch from direct to convection-style heating to be useful for cooking things like fish, chicken, and ribs without scorching the outside.
2. Fantastic temperature control from 250 degrees F, all the way up to 600 degrees. The temperature gauge on the front is really useful.
3. The fuel indicator is a nice feature.
4. It's very simple to remove any parts that tend to get messy and put into the dishwasher. Cleanup is a snap. The parts fit in the dishwasher without taking up all the space.

Conclusive proof, I believe, that Gas is phenomenally Gay.

b4igo
28th Apr 2006, 22:29
Picked up said 22" Weber on an OTF in 1992 as a gift from the Sqn for a wedding present (mine as it happens). An American air base somewhere in Europe was offering good deals so also picked up a 20" lawnmower. Managed to squeeze both items into the rotating bomb bay and rtb'd a happie chappie.

Have used the Weber ever since and it always comes out on Christmas Day (rain or shine or snow) to cook the christmas turkey. Bootiful.....

:)

Charlie Luncher
29th Apr 2006, 02:08
Now beags

"Gas is gay! It even goes 'poof' when you light it! Or at least my indoor fire does!!"

Old man you have me worried did you mean to say earlier in this thread that you get on your hand and knees in your lounge for a little poof!!:cool:
Just asking
Strat the sexual desire of Kiwis should not be aired here, just remember right hand to right shoulder never look at another man's war face :ugh: .
Charlie sends

Tim Mills
30th Apr 2006, 10:31
As I was cooking some snags ('bangers' for the uninitiated ) this evening on our gas powered barbie (we also have a Webber, briquet powered, which allows me onto this thread), I was reminded of 63/64 when the mighty Canberra ruled the Near East skies and 32 Squadron was not engaged in taking VIPs on their tax payer funded jollies as it is now, but in taking hard working aircrew on theirs, with the occasional thought of hanging a bomb or rocket on to do the business, which thankfully we were never required to do for real, and how Niazi managed to produce the best meals ever from a shack on a street corner in Limassol, with tables accross the steet in a petrol station forecourt, without the aid of a Webber, gas or charcoal fired. Lots of courses, as much Kokkinelli as one could drink, all for 12/-. Keo beer extra.

I have been trying to reproduce his standard ever since, can't. But not bad with a good Mudgee red and a bottle or two of Coopers Sparkling!

jindabyne
30th Apr 2006, 10:39
Not to mention the Wolf Blaaaas and VB Tim -----

Logistics Loader
30th Apr 2006, 18:45
Lying Lion...........

APS !!!! ????

Disagree with you big time unless the Vicky is designed to carry Weber's for use in the air ...!!!!!!
Clue in the the abbreviation...!!!!!

Unless you are ex Ghurka Regt who decides to brew up in the back of Wessex with Hexi stoves....!!!!

IR that a well known VC10 skipper landed in Germany on Medman t/r and demanded passenger's were check weighed, freight was double checked etc ...!!!

Why ???

At Vr, the wheels were on the ground still !!!!

Oops , too many 22in Webersin hold not accounted for in the APS !!!!!

All pax were averaged out at 194lbs per man....
Allowance being 200lbs per man....

North of 52deg north all pax had to carry artic kit and sleeping bag....therefore giving them extra weight allowance...

Also, how many East/West trainers used to land at home with the stripey shopping bags in the front hold....????
Over and above the standard crew bags entitlement...!!!!

Bog standard get around, dump the weight of Dom Water !!!!!
Therefore "This is not APS" !!!!!!

Truck2005
1st May 2006, 13:17
Standard Dulles return preflight brief.

Abort, Abort, I bought a barbe:ok:

Lon More
1st May 2006, 16:16
First one was a green wheeled jobbie back in 1974 - wedding gift from a neighbour via the PX in Schinnen - outlasted the wife. Used to fire it up in the garage using gas welding set.
There was a site with loads of videos of BBQ lighting races but can't find it anymore (probably the same site as vacuum cleaners sucking up petrol).

Snakecharmer
2nd May 2006, 08:58
Brought the first Weber back from TLP in 1992 - as I recall we took an empty 4 tonner specifically for the purpose of visiting the PX at Chievres on the way home! The Weber served well until I left it at a (slightly unstable) girlfriend's house in the late 90s... never did have the nerve to go and retrieve it after we split up!

Now living with a slightly more stable (mentally, at least!) female in a beautiful village, not far from a really good butcher... time for a new Weber I says... Interweb delivers the day before the first ceremonial gubbing and I place it at the far end of garage. SWMBO arrives home from work, drives into garage and parks in her usual spot... which is occupied by Weber! Result - oblong Weber! At least it has battle scars beyond its year!

brickhistory
26th May 2006, 15:22
I come back from a four month TDY - left in January, expecting to come back to my tried and true 100% manual Weber and enjoy the early summer - but something's wrong....

I loved that grill. He and I had grown into manhood together. I knew his faults and he put up with mine. We were comfortable and enjoyed the ritual of prepping the coals, dousing heavily with fluid, the indescrible joy of lighting the stack with a satisfying "whoompf!" and then having to monitor, with mint julep, old fashioned, or mojito in hand, the thing until the coals had achieved the perfect hue to throw meat onto the rack. Then demonstrating the masculine propensity to char steak or other dead animal to just the right degree.

My wife got rid of it while I was gone! No asking, no consultation, just a blatant disrespect for my territory.

Then to add insult to injury, she had replaced a perfectly servicible Weber with the wobbly leg and patches of rust (distinguished looking to me, an eyesore to her!) with another new Weber.

Ok, what's done is done. At least I can still grill now that I'm back.

But, she got one with a oh-so-gay propane start! Luckily for me, Mrs. Brick couldn't get the fiddly bits hooked up, so now I am the proud owner of a new Weber that has the damn propane starter disconnected and so it shall be forever!

Sonovabit*h!

stbd beam
26th May 2006, 15:45
Nice one - this could all be the start of the 'Real Mans' institute, charcoal for ever!!!

Talking of which, Charlie, how many folk coming up for the booze-a-thon in a month?

SASless
26th May 2006, 16:22
B4igo,

If you wish to eat the best Turkey of your life....set the Barbie aside and buy yourself a Deep Fried Turkey setup. On top of it being so easy to do....and tasting so good....baby sitting the turkey while it cooks consists of tipping up your favorite brew.

One source of the kit is from Cabela's in Sidney, Nebraska. They have a website with catalogue at cabelas.com .

The basic recipe is dust the bird inside and out with flour seasoned with Cajun Seasoning, heat the oil till bird bubbles all the way in....six minutes per pound plus eighteen minutes. Remove, drain, slice, and eat. The hot grease sears the inside and exterior of the turkey and it remains as moist and juicy as anything you have ever had.

Purists use syringes to inject the gravy before cooking and similar tactics. The one real key is to keep the grease bubbling and completely covering the bird.

I did not believe this until I had my first taste of one....but it was and is the best way I have seen to do a turkey.

An alternative suggestion for the barbie....debone the turkey, put the stuffing inside the critter, sew it up so it resembles a Rubgy football. Roast till done and slice crossways from the end. Every slice has white and dark meat and stuffing. All one needs to do is add the gravy and trimming.

k3k3
26th May 2006, 16:24
De-bone? Is that anything like coitus interruptus?

BEagle
26th May 2006, 16:26
No doubt the Jockistanis would use it for deep-frying Mars bars :yuk: ??

Charlie Luncher
27th May 2006, 00:02
Stbd
Now last week it was 2 crews + groundies and a few hangers on, I mean essential support staff including yours truly:E .
However, due to natives to the north having a pop at each other we are a bit busy, add to that keeping you boys safe in yer sandpit plans are up in the air at the mo should know more in a couple of days. Keep me seat at the bar clear.:*
Hopefully see you soon
Charlie sends

Tim Mills
27th May 2006, 10:58
Thank heavens brickhistory resurrected this thread, albeit to tell his tale of woe. I was going to report that I have lately very nearly matched the Niazi standard of long ago using the Weber as a 'kebab machine' rather than a roasting device, which we usually use it for, and which it does superbly, but thought I would be branded a BOF, which is true enough no doubt.

And I hadn't responded to suggestion of Wolf Blaaaaas and VB being as good as Mudgee red and Coopers Sparkling; nearly, there is no bad Oz wine, or beer, once you get used to cold and fizzy, but not quite, in my opinion. And nothing to touch Keo from a green bottle and Kokkinelli, specially if it is included in the price. And does Kokkinelli go from delicious to diabolical in the time it takes to travel from Akrotiri to Lynham if you take a demijohn of it home?

Best of luck with the 'all singing, all dancing' Weber, brickhistory!

BEagle
27th May 2006, 11:08
Indeed, Tim!

brickhistory, good to hear that you're going to unbolt the gas-fag bits and throw them away. Then out with the starter fluid and flirelighters...singed eyebrows, lots of fire and smoke until half an hour's drinking has passed, then on with the bits of dead beast!

Women - know your place! Stick with making the salad, doing the washing up and bringing more drinks. Man make fire, cook dead beast. Simple enough for your pretty little heads?

Here in Merrie Olde England, it is a bank holiday. Which means, of course, that the black oblate spherical rain maker is sitting forlornly on its tripod outside in the peeing rain wondering when it will next be lit!

maxburner
27th May 2006, 11:46
Tim Mills,

As I recall, Kokinelli goes from wonderful to awful in the time it takes to get from Epi Village Tavern to Animal House. :uhoh: In fact, I suspect it may never have been all that good - what do you think?

Beags,

I have around 12 ex and current fast jet aircrew and their good ladies coming round for a BBQ - gay gas admittedly - cest soir. The heavens have opened and the patio is under half an inch of water. It must be a bank holiday. I do love summer in England. Mrs Max is busy mixing salad.

BEagle
27th May 2006, 11:56
It is possible to revive 'well-travelled' kokkinelli.

You mix it in the ratio of 3 parts kokkinelli to 1 part metaxa 'brandy' (I use the word brandy loosely). Then dilute the resulting solution 2 parts kokkinelli/metaxa to 1 part water.

Well, it worked in 1977 - but the headaches were memorable as the ratios took a bit of tasting and testing!

Gainesy
27th May 2006, 12:59
Erm, what is "salad"?:confused:

maxburner
27th May 2006, 16:12
Roghead,

Hit the road and you could be here in about 4 hours. By then several drunks well known to you will be feeling no pain.

On second thoughts, there are several unattached ladies here tonight, it might be too much for the dicky ticker!!

And yes, I'd definitely count the Bucc and give the Canberra honorary membership.

As for the Outback grill, you'd get several shades of hell on this thread. I confessed to a gas Weber and I got stick. It was worse than when I wore a pink T-shirt under my flying suit.

Talk to you soon.

Enjoy watching England in the world cup on Scottish TV.

BEagle
27th May 2006, 17:17
Erm, what is "salad"?

It is a distraction device intended to keep the fairer sex safely away from one's Weber. Because they are unable to cut open a bag of letteuce from Waitrose, throw in a hastily despatched tomato or few plus a couple of peppers hacked up with the biggest bloke-knife in the kitchen (whatever that is), they will tiddle about for hours trying to emulate whatever ar$e idea some TV-chef has come up with in the previous week. It probably involves some weird designer-veg found only in bloody Islington - and the whole thing will be dressed in the most expensive famous-name gloop available. They also view a half cucumber as something sinister about which you will snigger with your mates whilst making fire and blowing the froth.

Salad is, of course, the aircrew conscience needed before the annual bollock-fondling by some drunken quack in the Med Centre. It's a piece of piss to sort out:

1. Go to Waitrose, buy large bag of 'Mixed Salad'. Open same.
2. Also get a couple of peppers - one green, one red - some tomatoes and a cucumber. Chop coarsely (none of this slicing nonsense) and add to 1. Do NOT bugger about washing it - there's no need and it wastes time. Any subsequent gippy-tummy can soon be cured by either another beer or, if serious, 50:50 brandy and port.
3. DCO - but for added pose to impress, chuck in a few cashew nuts and some small cubes of cheddar.
4. Make a thermonuclear dressing from olive oil, chopped garlic, chilli flakes, English mustard and vinegar. Pretend it's an old family recipe which girls wouldn't understand.
5. Add 4 to 3 - then say it's "Getting in touch with one's feminine side". Absolute bolleaux and a complete lie, but it stops the wimmin complaining that you've taken over..... They can always talk about fluffy kittens or Rick Astley or somesuch female rubbish.

The whole process should take no more than 3-4 minutes - if you really need brownie points you could do this whilst quaffing and waiting for the charcoal to heat up. This will prove that not just girls can do multi-tasking........

Charlie Luncher
28th May 2006, 01:29
Beags you forgot step 6

From girlie mix up beer batter using Coopers Sparkling (at last a use for aussie beer) coat this Salad you talk off and deep fry:eek: .
Maybe all those years at ISK sent me ethnic:uhoh: .
Charlie sends

bayete
28th May 2006, 10:01
After 2years of solid use the lid conked in at the base of the handle and began to rust. Emailed weber and I found a brand new lid delivered to my shed 3 days later.
That lid stayed in its box for 3 years as old one still worked, just decided to replace this year and Weber looks all shiney and new again, shame about the weather got to get it dirty.:)

Editid fore spilling

nice castle
28th May 2006, 16:31
Looking forward to using my new wok on my weber. (Stainless 57 cm job; £30 from Burford Garden Centre!) Purists may hate the idea, but if nothing else, it justifies more time spent playing with fire - excellent!
Mange tout rodders...

allan907
29th May 2006, 08:12
Jeez - you're all GAY except Gainsey.

The only way to BBQ is with logs and real fire - not them poofter briquettes (even the word is a poofter french word).

Mines an old washing machine inner (the enameling and holes work wonderfully) with a goodly supply of real wooden logs - red gum or wandoo for intense flame, acacia for steady heat - and a piece of old metal lattice for the plate.

I also have a 6 burner gas barbie for the summer when we have fire restrictions. It also has a wok burner. This is just to prove that I can express my feminine side and I don't discriminate against gay people :}

maxburner
29th May 2006, 08:46
Allan,

It all sounds terribly quaint and third world. How lovely.

BEagle
29th May 2006, 09:22
The old swimming pool filter housing from the villa my late parents had in Menorca made a top twin-tub barbi' when split into 2 parts and concreted into a breeze block base, with stones piled around it to match the pool surround walls. But it was a bugger to get going - charcoal and wood to get it going in the third world manner described by allan-the-abbo - and about 3 beers later it would be roaring away.

brickhistory
29th May 2006, 12:54
Mines an old washing machine inner.....

You had a washing machine?......luxury!

Tigs2
29th May 2006, 14:29
Just read whole thread:}

I became obsessed with Webbers. I bought them on every occasion because they were a bargain! Think i have bought 10 since 1989. I am now 'two webbers Tigs' , ha! so all of you with your Ferrari and Chevrolet go shove it because I AM A TWO WEBBER MAN!
How jealous does that make you??

ZH875
29th May 2006, 14:33
ha! so all of you with your Ferrari and Chevrolet go shove it because I AM A TWO WEBBER MAN!
How jealous does that make you??Not at all, my Cortina had a TWIN CHOKE WEBBER and that was nearly 30 years ago.:)

Tigs2
29th May 2006, 14:41
ZH875

you complete and utter b******d:} Just when i thought i reached the top:{

Charlie Luncher
3rd Jun 2006, 03:19
Stbd
All back on I's a coming back to the frozen tundra see ya soon:yuk:
Tigs it is not the amount of webers you have its what you do with them, or so the owners of smokey joes say:p
Charlie sends

humour
3rd Jun 2006, 21:56
A sad day for the family. Today our Weber( Bought from Aviano whilst on METS) finally went to the great recycling centre in the sky. I now am the proud owner of some gaseous beast but will things ever be the same?

BEagle
4th Jun 2006, 05:52
A sad day indeed.

Not only farewell to a real Weber, but out of the closet as well.......:hmm:

Errm, you did know, before you bought your gas-fag thing, that you can buy replacement bits for your Weber?

Fire, smoke and fury on mine again last night!

SASless
4th Jun 2006, 13:24
Woosies use liquid lighter to start the fire. Real Men (Rednecks) use stump lighter to fire off the coals. No flash, no Whoosh, just a nice aroma of pine pitch and lean back with the beer in hand for a few minutes.:ok:

brickhistory
4th Jun 2006, 22:21
Woosies use liquid lighter to start the fire. Real Men (Rednecks) use stump lighter to fire off the coals. No flash, no Whoosh, just a nice aroma of pine pitch and lean back with the beer in hand for a few minutes.:ok:

No flash, no whoosh? Then what's the point?

With apologies to Francis Ford Coppola and Robert Duvall:

"You smell that? That slightly sickly sweet, petroleum smell?
That's lighter fluid. To me that smell is......victory!"

And more dead animal was consigned to appease the Weber god this evening!
(Wife decided she wanted to be outside with me so it slightly detracted from the manly experience, but then she did bring and refill drinks, so I'll call it a push....)

Hilife
10th Jun 2006, 12:37
Big Weber day today.

Joint of lamb and rib of beef.

Recipe:

1. Open a cold Guinness
2. Pre-Heat Weber (without aid of liquids)
3. Pour another…….
4. Place joints in centre, cover with lid
5. Soak stomach in more Guinness for several hours whilst shouting at Beckham and Co.
6. Enjoy…….

Tomorrow - Rugby and Prep for ‘24 Heures du Mans'

What a great Weber weekend

Kirkwall
10th Jun 2006, 13:16
What's happening today?

microlight AV8R
10th Jun 2006, 13:26
My 1971 LandRover Srs2A has a webber :cool:

Or is that weber :confused:

Gainesy
10th Jun 2006, 15:34
That's a Weber; but you can unclip your radiator grill and use it as a er... grill for steaks & stuff.:ok:

Mr Teatime
17th Jun 2006, 13:56
Just read this thread all the way through. Great. Remember my first weber, a huge thing from PX in states. Never used it as went AWOL somewhere in Lynehem on the RTB. Thieving gits. Bought a cheap B&Q wannabe, it lasted a year had no lid and cremated everything. Finally got another weber from friendly C17 pal. No Gas, No briquettes, lumpwood charcoal only and half a liter of Mr Texacos finest to jump start the evening. Sit back enjoy, bathe burns and sink a cold one. Bliss.

Roadster280
17th Jun 2006, 15:38
Just been out and bought a new one today. $84.50 plus tax for a 22.5" one touch silver. Last time I bought one of these was about 10 yrs ago in the PX at Baumholder or similar, and I think it was about the same price!

But oh my, how standards have dropped..

Only one (nylon) handle on the body, no charcoal rails, thinner grate, no flaps to add more coal, crappy nylon handle on the lid, only three spokes on the mesh triangle thing on the undercarriage.

However, by stealing the charcoal buckets from my Performer, we SHALL go to the party. Ribs on the new one and burgers etc on the Performer tonight!

Long live Weber. I wouldn't mind paying another $20 for the same standards as my old one though.

Glass Half Empty
17th Jun 2006, 23:35
Once brought a Weber BBQ back in a Jet Provost - a bit of a tight squeeeze but made it in the end.

The Rocket
18th Jun 2006, 01:49
Either you brought that back from RAFG or Lakenheath, or your balls (and fuel tank) are far bigger that mine would ever be:D :D

DON T
18th Jun 2006, 17:26
The 57 cm one bought at Rheindahlen BX in 1989 died this year after about 15 tons of briquettes had been used over the years. I've even used it to cook the turkey at Christmas. The Smoket Joe bought at the same time is still going strong.

Dengue_Dude
18th Jun 2006, 17:50
Since I was driving a desk at Wyton, one of my neighbours was Captain in the USAF and I had a 'gas (euugh) barbecue' which expired.

I said I'd always wanted a Weber but only wanted a 'small one'. Next day he came home with an enormous box in his 'station wagon', with the smallest Weber they had in the BX - 22".

It cost me about £20 and resides in my garden, 15 years later. It looks less black and shiny than it used to, but works as only Webers can.

I remember the manual had a perfect looking turkey on the front cover and I didn't believe it was real. So we got a large chicken and stacked the briquettes either side with a drip tray in the middle. We stuck the chicken in the middle, closed the lid and LEFT THE BL**DY THING ALONE. Lo and behold, at the appropriate time, I lifted the lid and there it was - perfect!

I've still got the photo I took - cooked to a T and sublime, I felt like a real smart-arse.

So, it's summer and this dissertation in praise of Webers must come to an end.

Some good stuff comes from the States, the next thing should be Leatherman tools - utterly brilliant!

brickhistory
6th Jul 2006, 17:05
Celebrated a late Father's Day due to Uncle Sam keeping me on the road.

So, dear wife, who is also a minion of Uncle (outranks me as a matter of fact!), presents me with a WOKfor my Weber!

Two questions immediately arise:
1) WTF was she thinking that I'd ever use a wok to desecrate my temple to manliness?
and

2) WTF is Weber doing manufacturing one?

Take me now, Lord, I'm ready..........

Gainesy
6th Jul 2006, 17:15
I suppose it might be handy to throw your ringpulls in?:confused:

brickhistory
10th Sep 2006, 22:09
To paraphrase a BEagle line:

"Fire, smoke and thunder this evening from the grill."

Perfect evening, quiet reflection on 9/11 tomorrow (I was in the Pentagon that day - ran away bravely!), enjoying a bourbon and water, reading a fascinating book "First In, Last Out: Stories of the Wild Weasels."

Combined several threads into this one......................

Raise of the glass to all who serve.

brickhistory
11th Nov 2006, 20:35
Nov 11 and it's 72F; global warming sure beats the hell out of global cooling!

Enjoyed my bourbon and water while making sure the fire didn't get out of control, now getting ready to add cut up bird and enjoy a second beverage.

It being the day it is, another raise of my glass to those who wear or have worn their nation's uniform........

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Nov 2006, 04:49
Half an oil drum, length of expanded steel strip and a couple of ironwood logs.

Nothing to beat it...:ok:

BEagle
12th Nov 2006, 05:10
"Weber, my ar*se, it's only a gas outback......"

Oh dear. Don't you know that GAS IS GAY!!

My little black rainmaker is now hibernating at the back of the garage next to the Flymo - and the most useless Black and Decker strimmer known to man. If you trim grass edges against a wall, all the stupid thing does is to munch its way through the strimmer cord, throwing bits of blue cord around..... It's better at eating its own cord than it is at trimming grass!

jindabyne
12th Nov 2006, 09:31
BEags

In that case I'm PROUD to be GAY!!! (but only for ten minutes or so - and please, don't say is that all it takes --)

Rog

Sorry to hear of your health issue. Agree, Weber my a*rse too, nothing to beat the Outback - sod the rain, sod the wind, nip outside, up golf brolly, on gas, on sirloins (turn only the once), down glass of Bods, eat. Weber my ar*se - no hiberrrnation here!!!

BEagle
12th Nov 2006, 15:25
Jinda',

"In that case I'm PROUD to be GAY!!! (but only for ten minutes or so - and please, don't say is that all it takes --)"

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to his post of 10 Oct 2006 at 0856:

"----but the limp wrists are a bit worrysome!!"

Hmmmmm......:hmm:

brickhistory
12th Nov 2006, 16:34
during the 10 mins it took me to set up, cook the fillets and pack away whilst operating in a foce 10! I say again Weber my a**e.

I would have thought that citizens of the Mother Country are all about tradition - the building of the charcoal stack, the liberal dousing with a flammable liquid (or solid if you have access!), the glory and beauty of the satisfying "whoompf!" after tossing in the match, the frenzied rubbing of the singed eyebrows immediately thereafter, the enjoyment of a man's drink while on fire guard, then the joy and sheer primal pageantry of grilling some hapless animal, to bring it in to the loving, respectful (a bit fear-tinged?!) gazes of one's tribe - would still count for something in your land.

Guess not.

And for the "at least for 10 minutes" foray into the other side.........:=

jindabyne
13th Nov 2006, 08:53
I was just being playful - honest. I mean, four up, in the same formation - too much of a coincidence. Honest, just being playful. Honest!! Oh dear, and with the Bucc Blitz just round the corner too.

BEagle
13th Nov 2006, 10:58
You could always wheel your gas-fag devices along at the next Gay Pride parade.......:p

Yes, brick, the old whoomf effect is the best. I once ran out of something to light the sharkhole with. "Hmmm", thought I, "I have a jam jar full of 100LL Avgas in the garage....."

Add about an egg cup of 100LL to the sharkhole stack and allow it to soak in. But it might need a 'bit of help' to get going, I thought. So another scout around and I found some Industrial Spirit. Perfect, a drop of that should act as an excellent initiator.........

From a safe distance, cowering cautiously, I aimed a match....

Did it work?

WHOOMF!!

Yup - but I won't do that again!

ShyTorque
13th Nov 2006, 12:14
My Weber prefers MOGAS!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/IMG_0118.jpg

It only does one old banger at a time, though.....

1771 DELETE
13th Nov 2006, 22:23
Hi Stbd Beam:rolleyes:
Its good to see you awake, someone must have just walked past you with some chips or DCS.
My old Weber and i just dont remember how old because i am getting on a bit myself, lasted for ages, in fact it was good as new when i sold it for what i had paid when i did my last move - no point in taking coals to Newcastle.
I now have to admit to now owning a gay boy gas BBQ, it gets so bloddy cold here that you cant stand outside for half an hour waiting for the coals to fire up, but if i was honest, nothing beats cooking on hot coals.:)

movadinkampa747
13th Nov 2006, 22:27
WHOOMF!!

Has your dog got a hair lip?:suspect:

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Nov 2006, 06:25
Used to nick a truckload of mine props from a storage yard, pile them up about eight feet high, douse with five litres of Avgas and send a newbie to ignite the pyre. More than one came back brushing the charred remnants of his eyebrows off his face while a thirty foot pillar of flame roared on behind him.

Standing 20' away with a beer in the hand we remained warm as toast, even in mid winter.

Pub User
6th Jun 2007, 22:08
We've had such great weather lately, I thought this thread should work its way to the top.
Rather late I know, but I cleaned my Webber out a couple of weeks ago after its traditional Christmas turkey duties, and it has branded several family meals since then.
The machine itself is a traditonal 22" black enamel version, which lives outside all year, and is still going strong after 12 years.
As the main barbeque season approaches, remember gentlemen (and salad-makers):
GAS is GAY

samuraimatt
6th Jun 2007, 22:12
http://www.worldofweber.co.uk/images/performer.jpg

Even this one?

MrBernoulli
6th Jun 2007, 22:25
My large black 22 inch (ahem) Weber one-touch (ahem, ahem) was purchased in the BX on the sunny isle of Lajes (sigh) when I was flying that lovely Handley Page Victor K2 tanker thingy. Came home tucked up in 'Annies Hatch' and is still going strong. And it doesn't have your modern girly plastic handles either - nice macho wooden ones!

BEags,sod the the environment/ozone layer or whatever - burn LOTS of briquettes! More mesquite wood chips (I agree, wet them thoroughly) and occasionally, for the more refined palate, a chipped whisky casket does the trick. Mm-mm, I just love the smell of napalm ...... er, barbecuing steaks in the morning. Either that or crispy gook when he's taken a ....... er, I seemed to have strayed somewhat from my original brief so I think I'll go and have a lie down and take a pill for my PTSD .........

PS: I've never killed anybody ........................ who didn't deserve it.

Charlie Luncher
6th Jun 2007, 22:47
We have now received the first rains of winter and I may be allowed to light the old girl just to keep me warm whilst I cook my breakie on the other one. In my defence it is plugged into the House mains which in turn finds it way to be tapped into the reserves of the Timor sea, none of your gay 4.5/9 Kg little kegs for me :=
Charlie sends

Pub User
7th Jun 2007, 00:38
samurai

I'm not sure what that particular device is. It looks a bit like a barbeque, but with some sort of contraption built on the side.

Just to clarify, if you light a gas flame, then slap on the meat, it's a gay machine.

If you have to struggle for a while with any old sort of flammable liquid that you find in the garage, then hyperventilate whilst building the temperature, but subsequently drink your way through the discomfort and pain, you're OK.

Pub User
7th Jun 2007, 00:46
Having reviewed the Weber website, and found out what that particular contraption is

(http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2007/charcoal/Performer.aspx)

I would have to classify it as some sort of AC/DC machine.
Clearly (and very cleverly) built for those who are a little confused about their sexuality.

One has to remember that the Weber is a product of the US of A, and will, therefore, find a way to market itself to every living soul on the planet, even puffs.

LowObservable
7th Jun 2007, 00:49
Now, this is the business... http://www.americasbestbbq.com/images/smok_lyfetyme100x100.jpg
Charcoal schmarcoal - runs off wood cut on Chateau LO's backlot.
Keep the temperature under control or you'll set this off... http://www.fas.org/spp/military/program/warning/dsp_sts.jpg

Pub User
7th Jun 2007, 00:50
In my defence it is plugged into the House mains which in turn finds it way to be tapped into the reserves of the Timor sea

Gas is it?

Oh dear.

Roadster280
7th Jun 2007, 01:01
Samuraimatt - I refer you to post #18 in this thread.

That "contraption" is the Performer. The DBs.

Yes it has a gas bottle. Yes it's used for setting fire to the coals. No, it isn't used for cooking on.

If that makes me gay, then show me the ladies room, because I won't be changing any time soon (except maybe a Big Green Egg if I win the lottery).

Whatever kind of Weber you have, enjoy it (unless it's a no charcoal one)!

brickhistory
7th Jun 2007, 02:54
Yes it has a gas bottle. Yes it's used for setting fire to the coals. No, it isn't used for cooking on.

Ah, but you can go 'commando' without the gas bottle.

As I wrote last year on this thread, Mrs. history took upon herself to upgrade my tried and trusted pure charcoal culinary shrine while I was deployed. My friend of many years, nay he even served my father before me, was cast to the pavement and I never got to say goodbye.

She replaced my friend with this contraption but I had to put it together upon my arrival home.

After grieving for my long lost grill (I think I've come to terms with the loss), I put 'this' together, but sans the gas hook up or, as has charmingly been put on this thread, the 'fiddly bits,' and use strictly the blocks of manliness occassionally with exotic chips of wood.

Woman, know thy boundaries!

BEagle
7th Jun 2007, 04:40
Yes, the good old black rainmaker has been used a few times this year when my returns to the UK have coincided with decent weather.

I concur, MrB. Lots of sharkhole brickies, plus a little ex-JackD barrel wood pre-wetted to stop it burning away too quickly and to smoke better.

Gas is gay. Lava rocks are transvestite. But I have to admit to a handheld butane igniter (a quid from the garage) rather than useless matches which blow out all the time. Plenty of inflammable gel over the coals, then apply butane flame...fire, smoke and pain!

stbd beam
7th Jun 2007, 09:31
Lipstick, powder & paint ladies - can you still get HRT for blokes to replace those lost man genes?

I bought up last years discontinued stock of fire starting additive gel stuff to create that momentary 5' high flashover that still makes me feel like a MAN, ladies. Granted, my eyebrows are getting a little long and in need of a trim - WITH FIRE, 'cos I don't own any trimming scissors or moisturiser or any other similar 'bathroom products'.

I aint got no 'mangina' ladies, 'cos GAS is GAY

MrBernoulli
7th Jun 2007, 11:00
Ladies and gentlemen (and the rest of you mixed up folk), I would just like to say that this thread has provided the most fun I have had on PPRuNe in a long time.

Nostalgia ...... ain't what it used to be .................

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2007, 13:42
Weber written on anything other than a carburettor is GAY.

I will admit to an old gas-powered cooker in our garden; it's otherwise known as "Wife". :E

MostlyHarmless
7th Jun 2007, 14:46
Can we just confirm that when we talk about Gas were are not talking about Gas?

Gas of the xxxthane flavor is a blatantly camp way to cook, but i believe Gas in the form of Oxygen from a big black cylinder is a generally accepted as a really Macho way to get them coals glowing white hot when you totally pork up the food time.

Many thanks for clearing this up for me.

Roadster280
7th Jun 2007, 16:42
ShyTorque -
You appear to be popping your head over the parapet a bit here, with your "non-carburettor Weber is gay" comment. There's getting on for 150 posts here, who all seem to think that a charcoal burning Weber is one of life's gems.
So be it if I'm branded gay. I'd better go and find some "black nylon webbing", with nicely cooked steak in hand!

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2007, 16:48
Roadster, what meat you put in your hand whilst wearing black nylon webbing is your own business. :ooh:

P.S. I'm only really scared of "Wife". ;)

Roadster280
7th Jun 2007, 17:08
ShyTorque - Did I mention that mine is 22.5 inches and black? :}

Wee Jock McPlop
7th Jun 2007, 17:21
Beagle,
Top tip on the butane lighter!! Being a native and resident of Jockistan, I have found lighting my Weber Rainmaker with matches a right royal pain in the arse:( If that little jem from you helps me to fire it up, then that's fine by me. If using a bit of butane makes me gay, well you can call me Gladys - but only at the weekend!!

Wee Gladys McPlop

BEagle
7th Jun 2007, 18:23
Well, Gladys, the local garage was giving away lighter type things for candles, fires, barbecues etc. A quid or so and it beats sodding useless 'household' matches which are pansified imitations of good old Swan and Vesta non-safety red boys of days gone by.

Weber carburettors? Designed by mincing snake-hipped Eyties to make a lot of induction noisi, use gallons of fuel, make starting harder and increase bhp by about 0.1% on tatty old Escrots etc. When fuel injection came along, it was bye-bye expensive and pointless twin 40 DCOEs time.... (Ah bugger, I've been outed!).

MrBernoulli
7th Jun 2007, 19:02
Ah BEags, I certainly consider myself a 'good old non-safety red boy of days gone by.' Don't make 'em like me any more, hah hah!

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2007, 20:03
ShyTorque - Did I mention that mine is 22.5 inches and black?

Strange wife; I'd be scared of her, too. ;)

Weber carburettors? Designed by mincing snake-hipped Eyties to make a lot of induction noisi,

Noisi? Some sort of Italian ice cream? And fuel injection? FUEL INJECTION? Isn't that just the same as gas injected BBQs; only fit for hairdressers and their cars. Especially flounced up two seater German armchairs.. . :E

There; that should keep the fire going a bit longer

BEagle
7th Jun 2007, 20:10
You can be such a bitch at times!

Anway, the weather chart shows a bit of a ridge forming out to the west. So, perhaps when tomorrow's nasty little low has buggered off, it might be time to fire up the non-gay little black beauty again this weekend.

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2007, 20:47
Oh, a bite on every cast. :p

Whirlygig
7th Jun 2007, 20:55
Can't see why a 19th Century German composer has caused so much ire. :}

Cheers

Whirls

Airborne Aircrew
7th Jun 2007, 21:03
Oh, a bite on every cast.

With all the testosterone and willy waving going on in this thread it's hardly a major achievement now is it? ;)

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2007, 21:21
No, but hey, give a non-gay a chance..... ;)

Airborne Aircrew
7th Jun 2007, 21:30
Shy:

Yeah... Far too much use of the "G" word in this thread... Methinks they do protest _too_ much...

samuraimatt
7th Jun 2007, 21:52
But I have to admit to a handheld butane igniter

So you use a GAS lighter to light your BBQ. GAS? that's a GAS lighter.

Gas is gay. Lava rocks are transvestite.

So that's a BUTANE GAS lighter then.

Charlie Luncher
7th Jun 2007, 23:29
Right that's it this Sunday roast is going on the old Charcoal girl keep an eye to the world service BBC while chewing on your bacon buttie to watch out for "madman sets fire to most of the big dusty island".:rolleyes:
Charlie sends

Gainesy
8th Jun 2007, 06:20
Logs, petrol, miniflare, Whoomph!:uhoh:
Bit more Op Fresco than al fresco.

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Jun 2007, 06:58
Weber? Bah!! You probably have little pink umbrellas in your beer too....

The only way to do it if you're a technologicallly astute type is to use a 44 gal oil drum cut in half, or just build the fire on the ground and support the expanded steel grill on a few bricks/rocks stacked up around it.

The gentlemen will stand around the grill passing comments on the chef's technique, sniping for tasters and sipping beer while the ladies will be in the kitchen discussing washing powder and making salads which they will eat later.

Lighting the fire is simple with a litre or two of avgas or some fuel drained from the neighbour's lawnmower.

Try not to set fire to the swimming pool...

Wader2
8th Jun 2007, 10:02
Our first cookery book had a BBQ recipe.

First, dig a pit about 15 feet x 8 feet. Fill with wood and charcoal. Light and retire. When flames died down and surface whitish grey cover with large stones and place Ox or cow on the embers. Cover with earth.

Three days later . . .

<<To "lay a hāngi" or "put down a hāngi" involves digging a pit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%81ngi#Digging_the_Pit) in the ground, heating stones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%81ngi#The_volcanic_Stones) in the pit with a large fire, placing wire baskets of food (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%81ngi#food) on top of the stones, and covering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%81ngi#Laying_the_H.C4.81ngi) everything with earth for several hours before uncovering (or lifting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%81ngi#Lifting_the_H.C4.81ngi)) the hāngi. There are many variations and details that can be altered, but a hāngi produces rich, succulent food with a flavour quite unlike anything else.>>

BEagle
10th Jun 2007, 18:20
So, who didn't fire up their Beautiful Webers this weekend.....??

Bratwurst mit Bratkartoffeln on mine - it would have taken too long to cook a cow!

sittingstress
10th Jun 2007, 18:46
Just sitting down and watching the black beast calming down after it has converted approximately 2.5 kg of dead things into my dinner.

My wife had some coloured objects on her plate called "Fresh Leaf" and offered me some. She is currently in the kitchen applying a plaster to her slight facial injury.

Regards

ss

PS Though entering late into the fray I must add that gas is definitely GAY

BEagle
10th Jun 2007, 19:01
I trust you told your woman to bring you another beer whilst she's in the kitchen....

sittingstress
10th Jun 2007, 19:17
If I have to tell her then she will be applying another plaster.

Regards

ss

stbd beam
11th Jun 2007, 09:06
Mine didn't get fired up but I was at my mate's house when his did. The chicken legs were decidedly 'fresh' after he put them on the table after 15 mins cooking, but hell, more for me if no-one else fancied them. I think a good vet would've got them going again! After a gut full of Stella, honking chilli sauce and drinking port from the bottle all of a sudden it was Sunday - result!

All of my old joints are still hurting but I don't remember being in any fights ....

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Jun 2007, 09:11
The only time meat is too raw is if it fights back.

brickhistory
24th Jun 2007, 22:11
Wife and kids are off to MIL's, some several hundred miles away.

I'm sure my pastor will understand why I wasn't at services this morning. Being a compassionate man, I gave my razor the day off to rest and this evening, I decided to log some weber time.

Start up went well:
Preflight inspection - dead beast, check. Cold beverages, check.
Primed liberally with lighter fluid, checked all around, called 'clear!' and it "whooompfed" on the first match.

It was then that I started noticing some odd variations in a normal grill
First, I had to replenish my own cold beverage. Normally, at such a time, a cold one appears just as the last one is consumed. Thinking I could compensate, I grilled on.

Then, after grilling the beast to perfection, I brought it inside where I was met with......silence. It's not often that I get a standing ovation, but a hearty round of applause is always forthcoming. Not today.

Concerned at the mounting chain of failures, I checked further. No side dish, no green leafy push to the side pile, why not even the table was set!

So I landed the platter at the first suitable area and enjoyed just the beast with another beverage, but still can't figure out the root cause of the problem.

But I've never been very mechanical, so perhaps ones with more experience or technical knowledge can help trouble shoot the Weber's ancillary systems?

Roadster280
24th Jun 2007, 22:20
Brick - may I suggest that upon inspection, you'll see "No Fault Found", since the primary systems worked just fine.

1. Food was grilled.
2. Beer was drunk.

I don't see any failure here at all....

BEagle
25th Jun 2007, 07:03
-SAFETY WARNING-

Use of Secondary Mode may result in serious injury if the Primary System reverts to Normal Mode whilst the Secondary Mode is in use!

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Jun 2007, 07:24
You brought the grilled beast indoors and expected to eat it off a plate with green stuff chucked on the side? Sounds a bit like you'd cook with gas given half a chance. Very *ahem* progressive of you...:rolleyes:

The trick is to get your mates around with their 18 year old blonde cheerleaders and a spare for yourself then stand around the barbie with a can of beer in hand, hacking off bits with a biltong knife and eating straight from the grill while discussing sport. Blondes will be frolicking in pool getting nekkid.....

fin1012
27th Jun 2007, 10:44
Just hearing the word barbecue transports me back 20 years to the glory days of the UAS Summer Camp - half an oil drum topped by a metal footscraper pinched from the mess, more beer and food than you could shake a stick at - and the entire membership of the local nurses home in rapturous attendance - those were the days!

Tim Inder
27th Jun 2007, 15:36
fin1012 wrote:half an oil drum topped by a metal footscraper
Copycat!
I even have a frame (of sorts) to rest mine on! I feel it lends a certain air of "rustic charm" to the back garden during the summer month, although my aesthetic taste is hotly contested by SWM(sometimes)BO :ouch:

airborne_artist
27th Jun 2007, 15:51
All this talk of charcoal is a bit Islington for my tastes. Wood goes very well on a braai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braai) or you do a hangi as suggested above.

Charlie Luncher
27th Jun 2007, 22:58
AA
So lets get this right - get up early on a Saturday:*, be ethnically exploited to dig large hole in ground:hmm:, very moist ground "it will be fine says Chief Kiwi:8, have big fire and copious Speights around new fire in pit:ok:, fill hole with meat and some veggie(?) stuff:yuk:, more Speights:ok:, have afternoon Nap:zzz:, return to grand reveal of half cooked slightly steamed meat:D:D, more Speights whilst mess kitchen broken into to light ovens :ugh::ugh:, finished on gas:}
Charlie sends

BEagle
28th Jun 2007, 06:53
It was all sounding quite reasonable until those last few words!!

UAS barbecues were quite fun - except that the variety of things cooked was usually quite basic. God-awful NAAFI horseburgers, cheapest snorkers in the shop and something shaped to look like spare ribs but actually made from 'mechanically recovered meat' (i.e. steam hosed off the carcass, then stuffed into a mould...:yuk:); it looked like the sole of a flip-flop but tasted worse!

Safety warning for those who tend the coals - if you faff about bending forward in a flying suit, the zip will hang forward and get much hotter than the rest of the suit. You will probably notice this when you stand upright again, particularly if your choice of underwear isn't particularly insulating..:eek:!

WasNaeMe
19th Jul 2007, 20:17
The beast was cranked up tonight..........Half Chicken & Bratties......... Mmmm
Homer would be proud......

brickhistory
2nd Sep 2007, 22:28
Charcoal, fluid, matches and glorious flames to watch while enjoying a cold beverage or two to celebrate the end of summer

Grilled chicken and grilled corn on the cob.

Here's to those who couldn't enjoy today due to their duties in not so pleasant places.

And here's to those who are prepping the heavenly Weber for the next party.

moggiee
2nd Sep 2007, 23:00
I bought a discounted, ex-display Weber kettle for about $25 at Kirtland AFB, Alburqueque in about 1987, gave it to my dad and he knackered it in no time.

However, a much better bargain was $5 hibachi one bought at a Walmart in 1988 and which was in regular use until 2003 when the bottom finally dropped out of it.

God bless 10 Sqn!

Earl
3rd Sep 2007, 03:59
Started reading this thread and had to fire up the weber myself.
Weber has a web site with many good ideas for the adventurous.
But most of us all have our own.
http://www.weberbbq.com/bbq/pub/recipe/menu.aspx
Gas grills: might as well cook it inside.

Al R
3rd Sep 2007, 05:59
How dissapointing, I thought we were going to have 10 pages on how to set up one's carbs. :{

Rossian
3rd Sep 2007, 19:43
When I had my first one - loooooong ago I decided to exploit its capabilities to the full. Christmas Turkey? - nae bother. On three charcoal briquettes as well! what more could a Scotsman ask for? Only later did I discover in the v. small print at the bottom of the back page "All cooking times are based on an ambient temperature of 70F and nil wind conditions" At Kinloss?? In December?? Amazingly it worked and took only slightly longer than advertised. It lasted for 31 years too. Took it to the dump only when we moved earlier this year.
The Ancient Mariner

BEagle
5th Sep 2007, 15:50
Surely even a Jockistani doesn't keep a cooked turkey for 31 years?

My black beast hasn't had a lot of use this year thanks to the Midlands Monsoons, but it had a new lease of life after spare bits were acquired not long ago.

Front leg is a bit wobbly, but that's about the only green line entry in the beast's F700 after 18 years!

Rossian
5th Sep 2007, 16:40
Even managed to get a good pan of stock from the bones - I'd forgotten that.
The Ancient Mariner

BEagle
25th Feb 2008, 09:12
Down here in British West Oxfordshire, 'tis almost spring-like today.

Not long now until the faithful black servant comes out of hibernation once more!

bayete
25th Feb 2008, 10:41
Emptied out some forgotten sausages a couple of weeks ago.
Still looked good enough to eat, sealed in with the flavoursome grease of 7 years use.:ok:

Roland Pulfrew
25th Feb 2008, 12:34
Down here in British West Oxfordshire, 'tis almost spring-like today.

Not long now until the faithful black servant comes out of hibernation once more!

One puts one's faithful black servant into hibernation!! Mine did the Christmas Turkey and has already done one sunday roast this year!! Hibernation....Bah!!! If the weather stays like this I feel it may be out again this weekend....

Although that has probably just guaranteed a change in the weather for this W/E. Sorry :O

Roadster280
25th Feb 2008, 13:03
Forgive me, fellow Weberites, for I have sinned.

In my eagerness to continue grilling through these winter months, and finding that the charcoal wasn't cutting the mustard, with the weather 70 deg F below summer, I committed a mortal sin.

In my foolishness, the Emperor Mong (see ARRSE thread) commanded me to purchase one of those GAY gas things. Needless to say, it was much inferior. Blinded by the shallow beauty of the shiny stainless steel, I was weak.

Having learned the error of my ways, and committed many dollars into Wal-Mart's coffers, I seek forgiveness. I promise next winter to simply put more coals on to defeat the ambient temperature drop. Why didn't I listen to my red blooded instincts, and just give it more welly?

I promise to leave the gas fag-chariot to my wife, for she does not know the ways of fire, and return to the fold of my beautiful (charcoal) Weber. And all will be well in life.

ShyTorque
25th Feb 2008, 15:15

Ooer, missus!

Beags, are you allowed to say that? :p

Flymee 2 Da Moon
25th Feb 2008, 16:59
My trusty old Weber has survived about 14 Summers 'Chez Flymee' and is still going strong.

But, pray tell, did anyone else succomb to the Bruggen NAAFI Le Creuset 5 pan set, or various pieces of wooden loft insulation in Central/South America or Central Africa? My collection includes Colin the Secret Egret from Belize as well as one of those games where you move some sugared almonds (or petrified olives!) from one end to the other. I bought it in Dakar with French instructions that I have never taken the time or had the inclination to translate.
Obviously the petrol mower is still going strong but I have had to replace BX bicycles (generally Huffy) every so often.

ARINC
25th Feb 2008, 19:22
:ok:

Emptied out some forgotten sausages a couple of weeks ago.
Still looked good enough to eat, sealed in with the flavoursome grease of 7 years use.

Long overdue clean revealed..Two halves of red pepper and a cremated snag still faithfully attached. Glad I'm not alone in my slothfulness.

Which raises the question should one actually clean the grill.....:bored:

BEagle
25th Feb 2008, 19:27
Just a quick rub down with a wire brush will do......whilst the sharkhole is getting up to V1.

...then do the same to the Weber grilles!

teeteringhead
26th Feb 2008, 14:53
one of those games where you move some sugared almonds (or petrified olives!) from one end to the other. I bought it in Dakar with French instructions that I have never taken the time or had the inclination to translate.

...sounds like a Mancala Board. This (http://www.compendia.co.uk/Mancala.htm) might be of use ....

Flymee 2 Da Moon
26th Feb 2008, 19:27
Fantastic instructions to the 'Sugared Almond game' but I'm still no further forward.:ugh: The game has been adorning Mrs Flymee's dressing table and she has eaten all the sugared almonds while decorating her face with overpriced bits of grease. In fact, come to think of it, they also looked like some sort of antelope droppings:ooh:

BEagle
28th Apr 2008, 12:17
Well, the little black bugger has had some exercise at long last!

More fire and dead beast tonight, if the weather remains obliging!

cornish-stormrider
28th Apr 2008, 13:08
I would like to add my tuppenceworth to Mr Gainesy (yes, him) all you who bought barberque's are a bunch of poof's. Fair enough if you are trade group "Stinking Growbag" but any engineers should be ashamed and sacked.

I have built several oil drummers, my latest has a hinged cooking tray and a flat steel griddle plate for doing eggs with your steaks, I have two temp settings "Max" and "Combat" and if I flip the datum switch I get even more heat.

It puts out more radial warmth than a stove, draws air in like a blast furnace and gives awesome steaks and swordfishes. It does shark, ribs, and jacket taters and secret banananananas for puddings.

The chef runs on Guinness and malt whisky.

Anyone who would like to be taught how to build one...............

Buy Power tools.

brickhistory
28th Apr 2008, 13:17
I envy you. The weather here, normally so wonderful at this time of the year, has continued wet, cold, overcast (What global warming?!).

My (store-bought) fire altar slumbers on.

BEagle
28th Apr 2008, 16:33
Whilst I understand the need for abundant lateral warmth in the typical 'supersonic stratus' of a North Kernow summer evening, creating a localised firestorm to cook a mere brace of bratties or some duck tits would be rather OTT. Fun though.....

Even if the chef is 'Powered by Pope's Piss and Malt'!

Brick - I hope you've removed the gas-faggotry fiddly bits from your device?

brickhistory
28th Apr 2008, 16:55
I hope you've removed the gas-faggotry fiddly bits from your device?

Affirmative; as soon as I saw the cross-dressing upon my return from a TDY.

And a stern 'never again' to the salad-making machine........

airborne_artist
28th Apr 2008, 17:02
Stormrider - I'm not sure powertools are needed. A few used bricks and some weldmesh do me fine. Some twigs and sticks from the garden/woods make a good kindling, and then I chuck on some bought charcoal.

Got decent sized bit of meat? - do it in a Hangi (http://www.shelfordfeast.co.uk/hangi.html)

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Apr 2008, 18:42
You're not a Saffer are you, Mr Artist...?:confused::ok:

High_Expect
5th May 2008, 09:31
She's out! And not so much as a screw needs tightning :ok:

brickhistory
5th May 2008, 11:55
Is the subject still Webers?!

It's Not Working
5th May 2008, 16:02
Seventeen years old and still going strong. She has lived outdoors from new with the exception of 2-years in storage and she has only needed a bit of BDR on a handle and a new one-touch hardware kit and she still goes like new.

Brick - I AM talking about my Weber.

BEagle
5th May 2008, 16:11
You had me worried there - I thought you might be Austrian....

airborne_artist
5th May 2008, 16:28
You're not a Saffer are you, Mr Artist...?

No, I'm a Pom. Learned the art of cooking meat in the open air from some real characters - eg Lofty (http://www.survival-school.org/Default.aspx?tabid=372).

Solid Rust Twotter
5th May 2008, 19:43
Lofty must be at least part Saffer or Zimbo then. The brick and grid thing is SOP. Many pissed off wives in SA have discovered the wire grille in the oven has been nicked to go under the car seat for use as an impromptu braai when fishing, travelling or out in the bush. Works like a charm:E

beefix
5th May 2008, 20:11
My one and only faithful Weber arrived in the UK via a Vulcan recuperator bay(as did many other things) in 1980. Hmmm nuff said. It finally gave up the ghost last year and was laid to rest in the local scrap yard. My brand new 47cm Weber, with an ash can, had it's first outing this evening, some lamb chops,chicken wings and a sausage or two, all washed down with a bottle of Tesco's finest. Mind you, I had to take out a mortgage to buy it, still never mind. My eldest son has now got his eye on it, if he thinks I'm going to leave it to him he can think again. It's going with me. So there!!!!

BEagle
5th May 2008, 20:43
Tesco's finest :bored:?

Riiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhht.......

But better than kokkinelli, no doubt? Or 1977 vintage home brewed 'three week wine' :yuk:, which is all we could afford back then!

Roland Pulfrew
6th May 2008, 14:27
My brand new 47cm Weber

Weber have gone METRIC?!?! Surely not.:eek:

brickhistory
10th May 2008, 22:48
Ahhh, contentment!

Steaks sizzled, mojitos drunk.............

STANDTO
11th May 2008, 19:28
Second major reheat of the season here on the dear old Isle of Man today. Scorchio!

Nice piece of pork tenderloin.

How about a recipie thread. Bit gay, but what the hell:)

BEagle
11th May 2008, 20:34
Recipe 1 (Universal):

Meat
Fire
Beer

Flying Lawyer
11th May 2008, 21:59
She who must be obeyed insisted we had the healthy option today:

Tuna steaks
Fire
White Wine.

Delicious - but it didn't stop me muttering that meat would have been better. Matter of principle!
The order remains in force until further notice, 'for my own good.' :uhoh:
I think I may have negotiated the occasional Beer Can Chicken. White meat, and the beer is only for flavour etc :)

Roadster280
12th May 2008, 02:22
Recipe 1 (Universal):

Meat
Fire
Beer

Surely 1 and 3 are transposed ;)

brickhistory
18th May 2008, 00:20
Ahhhh,

Fire tonight,

beast,

be....um, ok, lemon martinis.................

Look, it's what the salad maker was dispensing.................

Riskman
18th May 2008, 19:48
We did a leg of lamb on ours last Sunday. It was absolutely fantastic but there were one or two wrinkles.......

It takes about an hour longer than the oven to heat up.
It doesn't beep when it's hot enough for the meat to go in.

Both of the above have a connection with beer consumption which the wife clearly understands and I don't.

BEagle
18th May 2008, 20:41
It doesn't beep when it's hot enough for the meat to go in....

:ooh:

Fired up my blackfellow tonight. Lamb steak and baked potato = great!

None of that salady stuff either!

Brick - the lemon martini is a bit....., well, let's just say it's probably a favourite of gas users :eek:!!

But what the heck is a 'lemon' martini?

brickhistory
18th May 2008, 20:57
the lemon martini is a bit....., well, let's just say it's probably a favourite of gas users !!

Yes, well, I did admit to it, but it was what was given to me. I certainly wouldn't (couldn't) complain...........

But what the heck is a 'lemon' martini?

vodka
drambuie
lemon juice

Good for scurvy prevention - important here in the suburbs.......

max nightstop
19th May 2008, 21:39
lets get off the gay (can we say that here) cocktails and recipes. The better question is which is the best accessory?

My vote goes for the wireless meat thermometer. Stick the probe in, tell what it is and how well you want it done, sit back with a beer. For the big joints it is the business.

gearontheglide
19th May 2008, 22:11
Mine goes to a Chimney Charcoal Starter.

Step 1: Fill full of charcoal, stuff 3 sheets of newspaper in the bottom.
Step 2: Apply flame, produce fire.
Wait 20 minutes, whilst consuming beers as required.
Step 3: Pour onto grate, followed by flesh onto grill.

Works every time. :ok:

Roland Pulfrew
19th May 2008, 22:24
Chimney Charcoal Starter.

Ah yes. The best Weber accessory my father-in-law ever gave me as a present:ok:

BEagle
20th May 2008, 06:31
Surely the automatic beer replenishment system he provided you with was the best barbi' accessory he ever gave you, Roly?

Best accessory I have is simply a combined wire brush and scraping jobber for getting rid of dead beast residue from the grill slats.

Did once buy some 'route steal' barbi' tools, including a fearsome looking knife with a long handle. Like something out of Braveheart! Was damn all use though - neither was the curved thing with hooks on it upon which one is supposed to hang one's tongs, fork etc.

6Z3
20th May 2008, 07:40
It doesn't beep when it's hot enough for the meat to go in

Now that would be some gadget:E

max nightstop
20th May 2008, 16:06
Some of those auto beer replenishers don't work as well as advertised. It is possible to reach some sort of limit, whereafter a request for a refill is met by "not another one" or "you'll have to get it yourself, i'm making the salad" (Why???)

The chimney starter on the other hand is always reliable.

IFTB
22nd May 2008, 08:32
A nice website to get some smoking tips and recipes:

http://www.bluesmoke-bbq.com/

on one of the pages it describes how to convert your Weber to efficient indirect smoking

http://www.bluesmoke-bbq.nl/images/dsc00233bsr3-453x124.JPG

"Chimney Charcoal Starter" the other best buy ever.

Mzee
22nd May 2008, 09:10
Nice one IFTB - website looks interesting! Got my Son's wedding coming up and I am organising pre and post BBQs and a nice smokey recipe will I'm sure go down well.:ok:

We both have Webbers - mine is newish, his is my original one bought in '74 across the pond, still going strong and BOTH classic - NO GAS:rolleyes:

Gainesy
22nd May 2008, 09:15
Some of those auto beer replenishers don't work as well as advertised.

This can be solved by changing it for a Cordless Dish Washer, then simply adjust the first few lines of software.:E

Roland Pulfrew
22nd May 2008, 09:50
Some of those auto beer replenishers don't work as well as advertised

Too true. Sadly far too true.

On a much lighter note, I saw in the paper this morning that next week is "National BBQ Week" :ok: Time to fire up those Webers. :cool:

Mind you have you seen the weather forecast for BH in the south of England? Danny, any chance we could have a smilie with an umbrella?

helidriver
23rd May 2008, 23:28
Just bought my first Weber today. A nice shiny black 22.5 incher. I've had the "unmentionable fuel" for the last 2 years and felt the need to ditch the Brokeback Mountain DVD boxset and get myself a set of cahooners. Feels so good, so manly, so complete!:ok:

Bring on the sun, in fact I don't care it's being lit Monday regardless!

h:cool:

Solid Rust Twotter
24th May 2008, 05:33
Weber? You've merely graduated from "screaming" to "raving" Mr Helidriver.:E

Real braai fundis use the grid on four rocks method or a half oil drum with hardwood or charcoal. Charcoal briquettes are right out.

http://www.chirundu.com/zim-food.cfm

Ignore the poovey Weber in the pic. It's only good for those poor buggers living in a flat on the 27th floor of some tower block.

BEagle
24th May 2008, 06:47
Yes, yes, SRT. I suppose if you want to feed half the township or host Nelson Mandela's coming out party, then your ethnic device would be fine.

Here at the head of the Empire, the need is rather less. So the 22.5 blackfellow is ideal, as long as it doesn't use the unmentionable fuel.

There's an authentic Seth Efrikan shop not far from here which sells boerewors, biltong, stokkies, droewors etc - might give the boerwors a go on the Weber.

Do you normally cut it into suitable lengths before cooking - or cook first, then cut?

Shop also sells kudu, ostrich and springbok steaks, as well as Botswanan rump steak...

Any recommendations?

Solid Rust Twotter
24th May 2008, 08:35
Just put the boerie on the grid in a coil. Turn over using tongs once it's cooked for a few minutes and do the other side then serve immediately. Don't overcook or it gets dry. Take along a pen knife to cut off the end to "test" if it's done. Chefs prerogative... A slightly juicy sausage goes well on a roll with fried onion and tomato gravy. If the fire's too hot the sausage casing will split so a medium heat over the embers is best. You should be able to hold your hand in the heat just over the grid for around 5 seconds.

Ostrich steak is great and has very little fat. Sear for a minute or so on either side over a very hot fire then serve immediately. Kudu and springbok may be a bit gamier and tougher than you're used to but are good in a casserole. The seasoning I use for ostrich is a little tabasco and fresh lemon/lime juice and salt.

Cornerstone958
31st May 2008, 17:53
Ah here we go just about to spark up the webber:) Beer & Wine chilled table set neighbours on the way & the domestic godess hard at work in the kitchen 'do you wan't another Beer love' she asks:):) This is looking like a good night. Cheers:ok:

Charlie Luncher
1st Jun 2008, 02:29
Due to the first rains in the best part of a year and a bit of localised flooding the winter BBqs are back on again. A fine hunk of cow currently soaking up a cheap Shiraz in the fridge with some rooty things for the long hair. Coopers pale will have to do as the spotty cock is a bit pricey and I cannot get Gales in the colonies:rolleyes:.
Charlie sends
from a winterey 21c

stbd beam
1st Jun 2008, 08:38
Nice one Charlie, temp here same but am in Wales without Weber just now so consoled myself with some dead pig for breakfast, the type that used to have a face and a Momma .....

kluge
2nd Jun 2008, 06:45
And from HK - BBQ fired up yesterday on bow of timber Junk (the ONLY reason why it is gas powered) for partial cremation of bovine tenderloin. Finished off by searing with a blow torch and accompanied by a 98 Paulliac.

Some strange green things on the plate also - peas - I was told. I thought you snorted 'em.

Bow Inn
2nd Jun 2008, 10:03
Been overseas for a few years and the trusty old Weber has been in storage during that time. She was starting to look a bit rusty and well used last time we met and I was considering her fate. However, managed to buy a new grill for my One Touch for 17 US$ last week and now there must be another 10 years in the old girl yet.

Gas is great and very convenient but you just don't get that man/fire thing without charcoal. Anyway, as a mate told me recently, you'd be selling your soul to the devil if you switched now.

You may have seen this before but it did the rounds in work last year and made me smile........

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vq2SOmwzjUU

Enjoy

BEagle
2nd Jun 2008, 13:09
Gas is great and very convenient....

Perhaps. But it's gay! It even goes 'poof' when it's lit!

......but you just don't get that man/fire thing without charcoal.

Now you're getting the message!

Airborne Aircrew
2nd Jun 2008, 16:13
But it's gay!

Only if your not overly confident in your manhood it is... Otherwise it works just fine... It goes well alongside my smoker as I smoke my own salmon, sausages, cheese and even salt, (yes smoked salt - a wonderful condiment when used on the meat one is grilling on the gas grill - gives a better flavor than charcoal grilled too :D)... But that would be all a little complex for the "Weber Warriors" now, wouldn't it?...:p

kluge
3rd Jun 2008, 00:15
The gas is gay gang will be saying next that corn based ethanol is green - knuckle scrapers.

BEagle
3rd Jun 2008, 04:58
Err, no.

Weber Warriors don't do 'green'! Nor do they believe one word of the bolleaux spouted by envirofundamentalist lentilistas.

Four star unleaded - the smell of motoring freedom!

kluge
3rd Jun 2008, 05:28
Then I'll raise you........2 stroke motor and Castrol R 40 when the gas fails.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jun 2008, 06:20
Set fire to the pool one afternoon while trying to light the braai using lawnmower fuel. In one's mildly pissed state one dropped a five litre plastic container full of said fuel into the flames which immediately caught alight. Hoiked it out and into the pool in an attempt to extinguish it (Yes, I was pissed:rolleyes:). Set fire to the entire surface of the pool and sank all the floaty toys as well as scuppering the Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner.

Steaks were good and the beer was cold though, so all was not lost.

BEagle
3rd Jun 2008, 08:01
Castrol R40?

Ah...the good old days of Methanol, real Castor Oil and 30% Nitromethane when I were a lad! In model aeroplane engines, that is!

Earlier in the thread I described the perils of lighting one's blackfellow with 100LL and surgical spirit. The moral being...DON'T!

Bow Inn, thanks for that link. I wasted an amusing hor or so watching similar clips on yoof tube yesterday, but the SA brai etiquette clip was great!