PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get into the RAF

jimmy6363
25th Apr 2006, 16:05
Hi, im 18 and just waiting for my exams to be over at college so i can apply for officer and then pilot training in the RAF. Ive got loads of leaflets sent to me explaining about the aptitude tests and things, and i think i can get through them OK.
However, im worried about the interview part where they ask you about the RAF itself and current affairs (mainly the RAF questions) as i don't really know much at present. So how can i have the best chance of getting through this and passing, for exmaple what books are good to read and where can i get them? What sort of questions are they likly to ask and how can i best prepare!
Any help would be great,
Thanks, Jim

Fanois
25th Apr 2006, 16:08
Jimmy: FLY NAVY

dallas
25th Apr 2006, 16:20
Just tell everyone you are already in the RAF. We currently lack an administrative system to prove otherwise. :hmm:

6nandneutral
25th Apr 2006, 16:34
Go to your local CIO (Careers Information Office) if that's what its still called and they should give you lots of info/booklets/DVDs etc. Also try contacting your nearest RAF Station (preferably an active flying one)to arrange a visit to a squadron. PS If you are going into print use your spelchucker and take your time whilst typing as we all have keyboards which don't spell and it dont look very professional.

ChezTanker
25th Apr 2006, 16:36
I suggest you open the door signposted 'IN'. If you accidentally open the door marked 'OUT' you may get damaged in the rush.

Cool_Hand
25th Apr 2006, 17:16
Back in the day when I applied I found it helpful to read the broadsheet newspapers. Then doing a little background info search on the origins of some of the events.

For example I was asked about the Kurds in Northern Iraq, why were they there, what made the situation as it is etc.

So think the same for any region in the world and ask yourself why. You should have enough time between now and possible interview to get upto speed on what is going on in the world.

Oh and learn everything you can about the RAF as it stands now, aircraft in use, bases world wide, reasons for the bases etc. current threats.

roush
25th Apr 2006, 17:21
The RAF produced an RAF Handbook each year that outlined all the current bases/numbers/dets/aircraft etc. Do they still make one?

L J R
25th Apr 2006, 17:34
Apply On-Line utilising JPA. Don't expect flying pay though.

WhoAreYa
25th Apr 2006, 17:40
What an odd question when most sensible people are asking the complete opposite.

Only kidding mate, good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Safety_Helmut
25th Apr 2006, 18:06
roush

It's currently issued on the back of a postcard !

S_H

Tombstone
25th Apr 2006, 18:50

What, at 120 kts? No thanks mate.

Crashed&Burned
25th Apr 2006, 18:57
Try your local Air cadet unit. See if you like the RAF atmosphere (and the unfathomable administration).

25th Apr 2006, 18:58
Normally I just bend them over and give them a good seeing to. Don't bother with lube, they won't respect you in the morning. :}

L J R
25th Apr 2006, 19:28
That's a FOUL grunt!

charliegolf
25th Apr 2006, 20:21
Jimmy,

You've coincidentally asked your reasonable question on Pprune on the serving officers' "Be Bitter and Twisted" evening.

Picking out the genuine comments will be a useful start for a career of spotting bulls**tters from the good guys. There will be plenty of each.

Find out all the RAF's current deployments and what they've got there- Harriers in Afghanistan etc- and stand in Smith's and read the Air Force mag for free. It's the in house propaganda, so it won't hurt your case.

Good luck, if you're successful, you'll have a great time.

CG

Talking Radalt
25th Apr 2006, 20:37
What, at 120 kts? No thanks mate.
No, not at 120kts, try nearer 90. Unless your Seaqueen's being underslung! :ok:

buoy15
26th Apr 2006, 03:27
Jimmy 63
Watch Hi 5 and read the RAF News - sorted!
Best of luck!

Tourist
26th Apr 2006, 09:02
Grunt.
I am frankly appalled.
Have some standards.

Could you really sh@g someone in that uniform?

WhiteOvies
26th Apr 2006, 10:27
Tourist
In my Joint experience the average WRAF is better looking than the average WRN, and more likely to be wearing webbing underneath!

Jimmy, if light blue isn't your colour avoid the banter and Fly Navy in a GR7 (usually faster than 120kts!) :ok:

Tourist
26th Apr 2006, 11:47
White Ovies.
Unless I am much mistaken, the state of the female members of the services is not an issue for grunt..

ProfessionalStudent
26th Apr 2006, 13:50
As a Reservist.

All the good bits.

Not as many of the crap bits.

A real job with real prospects.

And the ability to tell them to ram it if you get fed up.

Which you will.:p

If you still want to, good luck my friend.

WhiteOvies
26th Apr 2006, 13:50
Fair point, bet he owns a gas BBQ too.:E

joe2812
26th Apr 2006, 14:43
You could try here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166273&highlight=OASC

Good luck.