PDA

View Full Version : Sunning - Bates method

Quincy M.E.
25th Apr 2006, 14:30
Hi

I have read a few threads on here about 'sunning' and the benefits that it might bring but am concerned about the possibility of damaging the eyes. It is obvious that one should not look directly at the sun with eyes open but I would have thought that even with ones eyes closed, prolongued staring at the sun would do some damage; afterall the eyelid is only a thin membrane is it not?

I guess that as it has long been practised any dangers would have been found out but as I am not a medical man I wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Q

AlexEvans
25th Apr 2006, 21:47
You should find this thread useful: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221939

My personal opinion is that it won't do any harm, unless you look directly at the sun, which is what Bates used to recommend.

I don't think you'll achieve anything though, but admittedly I haven't tried it.

I'm very skeptical but if you pursue the Bates method, please let me/us know how you get on.

Forgot to add disclaimer: I HAVE NO MEDICAL TRAINING

Quincy M.E.
26th Apr 2006, 08:34
Cheers, yes that was interesting.

I dont think I am going to take on the Bates method as such though because my sight is within limits; I was just on the look out for methods that may help with eye strain. I also read that the sunning technique is meant to reduce the eyes sensitivity to sunlight.