PDA

View Full Version : That C.V. slump & Ryanair SSTR

speedrestriction
23rd Apr 2006, 23:07
It is Sunday evening and I feel like having a bit of a moan about the cost of stamps for C.V. sized envelopes. The government should subsidise stamps for all unemployed pilots. Anyway, not to get too far off topic, I've got two questions:

I) What is the best way to beat the C.V. blues?

II)How long does it take CAE/Ryanair to get back to you after the initial online application for the SSTR ("cadet" application)?

speedrestriction

Olof
24th Apr 2006, 06:48
As far as I'm concerned CAE doesn't really return with a reply to you. The waiting line is huge and unless you got some hours (i.e not a fresh ATPL) the chances of being invited for testing are slim. I applied more than half a year ago and haven't heard anything still...

potkettleblack
24th Apr 2006, 08:15
Know of some skippers (usual story mates of mates etc etc) with Ryanair based in DUB who think the whole CAE/pay £50 is a bit of a joke. Apparently the best way in is a personal recommendation. Any guys they put forward generally get an interview within a few weeks. Best advice is to get networking if you want to fly for Ryanair as just about everyone I have come across in training has or is willing to pay their £50 so the odds don't seem to good.

no sponsor
24th Apr 2006, 09:38
I applied in August 05 - I've not heard anything since.

Everyone I know who has got an interview and subsequent recommendation to start the type rating knows someone on the inside. It's the same with every other airline, with the possible exception of BA Connect, but even there a recommendation will take you direct to an interview.

It looks like the people I know who are about to start a TR will have to make it onto the line, and then they can recommend me.

WX Man
24th Apr 2006, 09:46
Glad it's not just me thinking that the CAE/SAS thing is a load of old codswollop.

Filled in both CAE and SAS. The pilotpool.aero thing is an absolute joke, another one to add to my incredibly long list of "really f***ing badly designed online application forms".

Superpilot
24th Apr 2006, 09:57
I recently applied for a position as ‘Pilot Recruitment Co-ordinator’ with Ryanair. They removed the advert from the website, so I assumed that’s it. However, 2 weeks later it’s there again! If I got it, I would’ve been leaving a well paid I.T job but it would’ve been a cracking opportunity to see what the heck was going on with their recruitment system, I would’ve certainly used it to help me wannabe brethren as well as using it too my advantage :E But did I even get so much as an acknowledgement of my application??? NO!

Nice flying but crap recruitment process, crap recruitment staff, crap terms, crap conditions, crap treatment, but the sad truth is if they offered me a position I would have no choice but to take it! With 1 years flying experience you could apply virtually anywhere.

unfazed
24th Apr 2006, 10:00
Crap company, crap recruitment process, crap recruitment staff, crap terms, crap conditions, crap treatment, but the sad truth is if they offered me a position I would have no choice but to take it! With 1 years flying

If they are so crap why do you wan't to work for them ?:confused:

Superpilot
24th Apr 2006, 10:05
That's the point I'm making, and the point so many others on here have already made. Just check Terms and Endearment for some recent experiences. What's the phrase....

"Beggar's can't be choosers" ......they can be users though.

The issue is breaking into the industry, but once you're experienced (even 1000 hours) you will find there is lots of demand out there for your skills. I'm taking the brave step of relating the same thought so many others have inside their minds already.

boogie-nicey
24th Apr 2006, 10:18
I'm no expert neither but do you believe that a year's flying will allow you to "apply anywhere or even almost anywhere?".

Surely the chap who's applying to Rynair/Easyjet with even the minimum 500hrs wouldn't be able to walk in.

Superpilot
24th Apr 2006, 10:27
The benefit would obviously be that you at least meet the minimum requirements to apply. Most DE FO recruitment asks for no more than 1500 hours. BA for example are looking for a minimum of 400 on type. I'm not saying you are likely to get the job but at least your CV won't be binned!

boogie-nicey
24th Apr 2006, 11:02
Yeah, I guess the more the better, can't hurt.

Megaton
24th Apr 2006, 18:13
BA weren't looking for 400 hrs on type last yr. All they asked for was 100 (or 200?) sectors on a heavy tp.

Longchop
24th Apr 2006, 19:22
BA weren't looking for 400 hrs on type last yr. All they asked for was 100 (or 200?) sectors on a heavy tp.

think theyre asking for 750tt of which 500 is on a TP with no less than 29seats or over 10 tonnes!

FFP
24th Apr 2006, 19:48
Is there no way you can go down the job center and attend some jobseekers workshop in which they help you with a CV and you can post them from there ?

Have no idea if that's the case or not but surely worth a try ?

scroggs
24th Apr 2006, 20:01
I wouldn't let a Jobcentre help you with an aviation CV. They know nothing about this field, and getting it wrong will lose you opportunities. See the recent CV thread on this forum.

Scroggs

Megaton
24th Apr 2006, 20:35
Lonchop,

All I can tell you is that I didn't have 750 hrs TT or 500 hrs on a heavy tp this time last year when I applied. Their requirements change regularly so it's worth keeping an eye on their recruitment web pages.