PDA

View Full Version : Spotting is Driving me mad

ExRAFRadar
23rd Apr 2006, 20:17
Right I have had enough of this. Not drink I hasten to add which is probably what is making me post this.

I have lived near Heathrow for about a year now and have got a major problem.

When a/c arrive onto rwy27 I get a great view whilst sitting in my fav spot, glass of wine in hand. It is like an airshow. I get all the great views without the noise. Departing 27 they come right over the house and that annoys the missus no-end. But then anything that annoys the missus is alright in my book so no problems there. But I digress.

Here is my problem.

It is driving me NUTS if the a/c I am looking at is a 737, A320, 767 or a A330.

I can pick out the Fokker 100's, Smaller Bizjets (few and far between) etc but am having a major problem with the similar looking types.

I've checked out the web but have found no one site suitable for me. So I turn to you, the spotting fraternity. What are the clues to discerning a 737-600 from a A320 ?

I've tried counting engines but that is a loss in this day and age.

Am I right in saying it is only the A340 and 747 that fly with 4 engines (Jet)??

And what part do Winglets play in spotting? Do most types have them or could I use them in identing type ?

wiccan
24th Apr 2006, 00:46
It is driving me NUTS if the a/c I am looking at is a 737, A320, 767 or a A330......
B737...Fat Albert...."Chunky"
A320..Slim, Elegant
B767/200 Fat and Short B767/300 Fat and Long
A330 Graceful wing plus Winglets
Can you tell the difference between a Fokker100 and a Fokker70?
Try Airliners dot net..or just do a search for the a/c that you are interested in..[google or searchalot]
Happy spotting
bb

LN-KGL
24th Apr 2006, 06:47
ExRAFRadar, maybe this web page will help you a bit? http://www.killerwhale.be/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=67

Behind this link you will find an Aircraft Identifier application - you answer some few questions to what you have seen and the application give you which aircraft type it was.

paulc
24th Apr 2006, 11:34
The airline can also play a part in identification - to look at the example you mentioned the 737-600 or A320. if you think it might be one of those then unless it is SAS or Tunisair (who operate both - not sure if any other european operator do) then it is likely to be an A320.

SAS also operate the 737-800 but the 2 over wing exits will help there.

The really nasty ones are those who operate a lot of similar types ie Air France who use A318, A319, A320 & A321 to LHR.

Winglets can also be used but again in conjuction with other factors namely who operates aircraft (long or short haul) with winglets. Emirates are easy as it will only be a 777 (or 767 for AA/UA) for non winglet as will AA or UND (no A330 / A340 operated)

Rhys S. Negative
24th Apr 2006, 16:21
Not completely foolproof, but another thing to look for is the wingtip strobe lights - one flash for a Boeing, two flashes for an Airbus.

Apart from that, it just takes years of practice! When I first took an interest, most types at LHR had rear-mounted engines and a T-tail.

RSN.