PDA

View Full Version : police

justanother
23rd Apr 2006, 13:47
So my situation has finally changed since my last post. I have sent off an RAF medical form which was returned saying I am permanently unfit for military air service because in april 1997 for about a week i was prescribed an inhaler. So if i am going to fly it will have to be commercial. I have spoken to a family friend in the police and she said they were desperate for pilots but i haven't seen any info on this on pprune. Does anybody know if they recruit complete novices?

scroggs
23rd Apr 2006, 13:55
The Police only recruit experienced (2000+ hours) pilots.

You may be able to challenge the RAF's decision. This has been covered before; try a search in the Medical forum.

Scroggs

Flies-like-a-chicken
23rd Apr 2006, 15:22
Do challenge it! I did...was a lot of fun! They paid my expenses for me to drive to Peterborough (netting me a nice £110 for £40 of diesel) and sat me on an exercise bike for 10 mins before doing the peak flow tests. Quick chat with a military doctor: "do you have asthma?" "no" "good" and thats it. I had been given an inhaler as a child for a chest infection but never used it. It's not a fast process (it is the RAF afterall) but worth it because if you dont suffer from asthma you wont fail!

Capt_SlackBladder
28th Apr 2006, 08:57
Why don't you try The Royal Navy or The Army? The Navy are not quite as strict on medical history as the RAF.

Gazeem
28th Apr 2006, 09:08
There are plenty of people in all three services who are flying (and even commanding squadrons) who have ailments that should have technically barred them from aircrew.
So it is possible to get in (somehow!)