PDA

View Full Version : Flight School at Bankstown?

speedbird69
23rd Apr 2006, 10:38
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this. I have been looking at training schools to start CPL training.
I di d my homework inlcuding a serach here and going out and talking to a few schools and instructors and finally decided on Sydney Flight Training School at Bankstown. They had the most professional training program for CPL/ATPL and looked like the best out option.

In the last couple of weeks I have heard they have laid off a few instructors and there a rumours about suppliers and staff not being paid. This makes me worried.

Does anyone know anything ? Should I be looking somewhere else ? :sad:

PM me if you prefer ...

GearOff
23rd Apr 2006, 13:41
Welcome to GA - they do produce a good product so if you're happy with what you've seen then give them a go. Just don't have any more of your money tied up there than you need to. The same caution would apply to any training organisation. Laying off instructors and going into debt seems to be normal practice with half these places.

The worst case scenario is the place falls apart and you change to your second option. The best case is that you are shielded from whatever the management is doing and come out of it well trained with the right qualifications.

If you read through the previous requests about which school at BK is best, the one you're looking at has come up a few times with positive comments.

Hope it all goes well!

Cavallier
23rd Apr 2006, 14:05
The only advice I would give in this situation is NEVER pay for your course up front or put large chunks of cash down no matter what discounts they offer. Many people over the years have lost money, one good friend of mine lost 8000 pounds never to be seen again.

Good Luck

The Cav:cool:

aeroprof
25th Apr 2006, 11:26
Hi speedbird

Have you looked at Schofield Flying School/Sydney Flight College. Good training and only pay as you go if you choose.

Good luck Aeroprof

speedbird69
25th Apr 2006, 14:23
Thnaks Aeroprof, :)

Thanks for the suggestion. This wasnt one of my first options but I just had a closer look at the website.

Sydney Flight College and Schofields say they are "affiliated". Does this mean they are 2 distinct training schools ? I notice the CFI is the same person. :confused:

Also it looks like Sydney Flight College use Schofields aircraft ??

I will give them a call to see what they have to say.

aeroprof
25th Apr 2006, 21:02
Hi Speedbird69

Yes the are the same business. Schofields is the social flying club and Sydney Flight College is the training school.

Aeroprof

Uptotabs
2nd May 2006, 04:57
Avoid flying at SFTC, in fact avoid training at Sydney all together. Try Perth or Adelaide if that's an option.

Sydney Flight Training have been laying off staff and downsizing its business and in will be moving out of the facilities it promotes on the website in a manner of weeks. It will be moving to Aeropace Aviation (which is in a tiny building; imagine two schools in it????) For months, SFTC, have had insufficient aircraft to meet students needs and students are being booked 2-3 weeks in advance for thier NEXT flight, with no garantee the aeroplane will be servicable for that flight. The instructors are great however, some of the best on the airport, just a pity the managment is not the same.

Where ever you go, just remember, you are the customer. Don't let yourself get bullied by some of these flying schools, as they will do it. Avoid paying money in advance, if you have no chioce, no more than $2-3k and enjoy your flight training. You have to get enjoyment out of what you do. The road is tough but the rewards are there if you are prepared to work for it.

If you want more info on SFTC, let me know.......

Ultralights
2nd May 2006, 09:33
during the last few weeks i have noticed a few Schofields aircraft at Warnervale on the central coast, are they setting up a satelite school there??

Kickatinalong
2nd May 2006, 10:36
Schoies are NOT setting up at Warnervale, it has just happened that they use YWVA quite often like next Sunday when they will be running their Comps from there.
Kickatinalong.:ok: :ok: :ok:

speedbird69
2nd May 2006, 11:24
Avoid flying at SFTC, in fact avoid training at Sydney all together. Try Perth or Adelaide if that's an option.

It will be moving to Aeropace Aviation (which is in a tiny building; imagine two schools in it????)

I had heard this rumor. I have also heard comments about how you create a barely average school by combining a truly great one with a completely mediocre one ....

Started looking at Perth schools late last week. Looks like a serious option! Think I might be going West!

Cloud Basher
2nd May 2006, 23:47
If you want to stay in Sydney there are a couple of very good schools at Camden and you get GAAP on the weekends and non-controlled during the week with bugger all taxi time.

PM if you would like more info

Cheers
CB