PDA

View Full Version : Initial SPMEIR in NZ

ZK-NSN
22nd Apr 2006, 21:31
Can anybody give me any info on where is a good place to do a SPMEIR in the North Island? Talked to most places but would like some info from people who have actually done a rating in the North Island over the last year or so. A post or PM would be appreciated.

mattyj
23rd Apr 2006, 00:53
Eagle Flight training with Mike Foster. In the phone book out of Ardmore in Auckland.

beaverlover
27th Apr 2006, 03:06
You may find your better off going to the South Island. If your current you should be able to knock it out in 4 weeks. 4 weeks accomadation might cost less than you think if you shop around. Nelson or Dunedin is you best bet

Healey 3000
27th Apr 2006, 20:12
I agree with matty j, if you're looking to stay in Auckland, Eagle Flight Training would be the way to go.
Having flown with Mike Foster I can thouroughly recommend him and his training organisation. Good bunch of people with a good reputation, and great service. (And no, I am not affiliated with them!)

H3000

Cloud Cutter
28th Apr 2006, 06:57
I would also recommend Mike Foster. Another option would be Ardmore Flying School. MEIR is something they do particularly well, and their aircraft are well equipped.

ZK-NSN
28th Apr 2006, 22:23
Talked to Ardmore but they said it would take at least 3 months fulltime because of problems with ATC restrictions on IFR training. I assume (I know what they say about assumption) it would be the same for other operators in the Auckland area. I thought about going to the South Island but i only have a month of fulltime leave so would probably have to start off part time first which is why I'd prefer the North Island. I was looking at Hamilton Aeroclub as a possibility, they also has a sim to keep the cost down.

Cloud Cutter
29th Apr 2006, 07:52
Waikato is another good option. Although you will be subject to the same delays due ATC restrictions.

tukituki
29th Apr 2006, 08:25
If you want to bang out IFR quickly you should talk to Nelson Aero Club as they don't have any problems with airspace.They might be able to help out and have very high pass results

glekichi
29th Apr 2006, 15:33
Dunno about up north but can definately vouch for Mainland in the south. They got me through a multi starting in April, and thats with a flight test on the 21st and Easter smack bang in the middle of it all......:ok:

29th Apr 2006, 17:07
I think you might find that the restrictions will be lifted when the work is completed on the main runway at NZAA. Check with your trainer.

Be carefull of promises made by wolf in sheeps clothing. Book your training flights and the flight test then start your training.

Good luck - best way of flying.....

27/09
30th Apr 2006, 23:19
The Waikato Aero Club is certainly worth looking at. Good instructors and good set up with sim etc. Also their location gives a few more options when choosing training routes especially if ATC puts on restrictions around Auckland.