PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy POAC's

Rico1903
22nd Apr 2006, 19:14
Hello there currently in the process trying to join the premier air force- the FAA. ;)

I've been told about Potential Officer Acquaint Courses and was wondering if anybody here has been on one or even run one? Just looking for some general information- how often are they ran? what's involved? a worthwhile experience? how good is mess life!?

Thanks for any help.

Wannabe Flyboy
22nd Apr 2006, 20:02
I've been on a couple.

You'll go down to Culdrose or Yeovilton for 3 nights and stay in the wardroom (the one at Yeovilton is quite nice - very new - though the people at Culdrose don't mind underage drinking quite so much(!)).
On your arrival day you won't do much more than have a quick briefing on the content of the following two days. Basically, you'll go and visit most of the squadrons on the base as well as ATC/met/survival/etc. My timetable was something like this:

Monday
1700 - arrive.
1720 - brief.
1900 - dinner.

Tuesday
0800 - survival brief.
0900 - pool drills (that's jumping into the pool in survival gear, getting into an inflatable boat and bobbing around for a bit).
1030 - Merlin brief (quick chat about what the squadron does & then a look around an aircraft).
1215 - lunch.
1230 - flying with 750 NAS. I went up for a couple of hours and flew a TacNav, but on my other visit I went up in a 771 SAR Sea King for all of 3 minutes. The flying varies depending on the course.
1630 - transport to Wardroom, spend rest of evening in bar.

Wednesday
0815 - AIB brief.
0900 - SAR brief.
1015 - 849 NAS brief.
1130 - FRADU brief.
1215 - lunch.
1400 - Dummy Deck brief. The guy who does this is a good laugh - obviously loves his job - and you get to sit in some old Harriers.
1515 - Met brief.
1545 - ATC brief.
1710 - chat with the Captain or similar high ranking Officer.
1800 - transport to Wardroom, spend rest of evening in bar.

Thurs
Depart by 1000.

Drop me a PM if you want any more information/detail on anything.

Edit: a worthwhile post for my 200th that.

Rico1903
23rd Apr 2006, 08:18
Thanks, that's exactly the sort of info i was looking for.

Out of interest how long did it take them to get you on one?

Thanks again.

Wannabe Flyboy
23rd Apr 2006, 08:52
I can't be totally sure about that; it depends how often they run them I suppose. Your AFCO would be able to give you some sort of accurate answer though, I suppose.

bad livin'
23rd Apr 2006, 10:04
Rico, the POAC scheme is an outstanding way for you to gain some exposure to the FAA. Asking to be considered for a place on one (or more) is something that will reflect well on you, but I would say this - don't just be keen to do a FAA one. There are several different ones on offer (I did two) and the parts of the naval service you'll never usually see if you go down the FAA route are also there to be looked around. By this I mean the submarine service, and also the surface fleet. I would urge you to try to get a flavour not only of the spoecific role you aspire to, but also life as a serving officer. You'll find people unfailingly keen to share their experiences and to show you around...the RN really is the civilised way to go. Have some good questions to hand and keep an open mind.

Good luck!
BL

Si Clik
23rd Apr 2006, 17:45
Rico 1903,

I have recently been involved in a revamp of the Culdrose POAC courses which have dispensed with most of the death by powerpoint briefs.

The current prog:

Day 1

Arrive and get a brief on Culdrose, the program and soem do's and don'ts

Day 2

Survival drills in the pool with a go in both single and multiseat.
The group splits and gets issued with Flying Clothing
One group goes to 750 for a jetstream flight and brief the other to 824 for a Merlin flight and brief.
The RN fitness test for all!!

Day 3

All visit 771 SAR, 849 ASaC and FRADU for briefs on their role
Then the second set of flights/briefs with 824/750
Visit the Merlin simulator
A debrief with the Capt/Cdr

Then off you go!!

Any Q's PM me.

:hmm:

Wannabe Flyboy
23rd Apr 2006, 17:53
That's good to hear; I think a lot of the aircrew were more fed up of doing the Powerpoints than we were of listening to them... I noticed it often seemed to be a junior member of the squadron doing it. I wonder why.:hmm:

Out of interest... what does the RN fitness test involve? It didn't feature on my course.

zedder
23rd Apr 2006, 18:39
Bending over and touching your toes?:uhoh:

Rico1903
23rd Apr 2006, 18:56
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, i think i'll try and get a day (or even a few days if possible) on a ship of some sort. I've also heard there might be a POAC at Dartmouth so will investigate that further.

Nothing like getting a real insight into the RN to give me a bit of motivation :ok:.

Si Clik- PM going your way.

WhiteOvies
24th Apr 2006, 08:49
Rico,
Tap up the AFCO for as many jollies as you can get. I managed a week on a frigate, a week on a minesweeper and an air aquaint at Yeovilton. All good prep for the AIB and did the trick for me. Got to do a submarine aquaint whilst at Dartmouth as they were looking for volunteers! However, until they try to put aircraft on subs again..........:bored:

str12
24th Apr 2006, 09:58
Rico

Was very fortunate to spend 9 days on HMS Dulverton (a minesweeper) about 10 years ago and went to Bremerhaven, Germany for an acquaint. Not particularly relevant to the FAA but gave an excellent insight to the professionalism and working environment in the RN. I also learned how great their fire-fighting skills were… :eek:

Had an absolutely fantastic time and got to do some very cool things. Was so impressed that I added Executive Officer to my application when I got to AIB.

Any acquaint/visit/jolly is worth it in my humble opinion, even if it is not directly related to your choice of specialty.

Best of luck,
str12.

airborne_artist
24th Apr 2006, 10:04
A course-mate went on a POAC to a frigate. The Wasp flight commander offered him a jolly as he was FAA-bound. Pilot over-cooked a torque turn and ended up in the drink. Mate got to use his dinghy etc. and so earned his tie before joining. Cue surprised looks when the tyro pilot sports the tie in the Wardroom at CU.

Moral - listen to the safety brief and learn to swim.

Rico1903
24th Apr 2006, 18:35
Thanks guys. Looks like i'm in for some fun! :}