PDA

View Full Version : Full-time JAA PPL(A) at Cabair Cranfield

Eddie_Crane
22nd Apr 2006, 17:18
Hello everyone,
I've got a question re. pursuing a JAA PPL(A) full-time.
I'm going to be doing this over the summer at either Cabair Cranfield or SFC.
With Cabair in mind, does anyone have any feedback, particularly on aircraft types, instructors, general "feelings of being treated well" and last but not least (actually, my main concern at this stage) accommodation.
With regard to that, does anyone have any experience with or personal recommendations for reasonably priced private rooms for rent/houseshares or similar (even BnB would do...)?
Thanks for any contributions folks,

C.

[thought I'd post this one in wannabes, but I'm only doing PPL for now, so if any wannabes browsing this board feel like an answer.. your post would be very welcome]

A and C
22nd Apr 2006, 18:43
I have only three bits of advice on this subject if these are the only places that you want to fly at.
1 Go to SFC.

2 Go to SFC.

3 Go to SFC.

Eddie_Crane
22nd Apr 2006, 23:35
Well, yes my primary choice IS SFC, but I'm having problems sorting out accomm there :ugh:. Emma is helping a lot with the issue though. And I have found everyone at SFC to be very very friendly and approachable, I'd really like to actually do my whole training there (I plan on going CPL/IR later on, and I want to do it all with one training provider, hence my choice of going with SFC...).

BroomstickPilot
23rd Apr 2006, 07:50
Cesco,

If you want to pursue a PPL full time, don't do it in the UK.

I tried to and it took me months and months and months, mostly because of UK weather. I bitterly regret trying to do mine in a UK 'summer'.

If you have to do it in the UK, do it in the WINTER because the weather is more stable and much drier.

Broomstick.

Eddie_Crane
23rd Apr 2006, 10:17
Hey, thanks for your input.
Unfortunately, due to a number of reasons, I will have to do my PPL in the UK (so I won't be able to say go to Spain or SA or.. what-have-you, at least not this year).
I do need to have this done fairly soon and I may have to take my chances trying the summer, which I remember for not being particularly "brilliant".
Even if it took 3 months, that would be ok, I'd be done by Sept/Oct and could go on onto other things according to plan. If I start say Nov or thereabouts... I would probably be done sometime in 2007, having to shuffle around all plans then.
It is a risk with the weather perhaps, but I've budgeted up to 12 weeks, which seems a reasonable time to me, considering about 50 or so hours of flight time and the fact that I'd be doing nothing else over those 12 weeks.
Well anyway, I don't have anything "officially" sorted out yet (and I'm talking merely accommodation-wise) so I don't know.
Considering AFT Coventry too at this point.

Blonde Bombshell
23rd Apr 2006, 12:23
Just to give a slightly more positive slant on doing a PPL in the UK. I did mine in a UK summer (at SFC for that matter). I did all the flying and ground exams between mid-late July and early September. I then had to reschedule a good few skills tests so didn't do that until mid October but that is because I was no longer in the area of available full time so could only do weekends.

It can be done! Good luck with yours!

Don't SFC have accomodation on site still? They always used to, although maybe it's already fully booked.

Eddie_Crane
23rd Apr 2006, 13:44
Hi BB,
thanks for your contribution.
Sounds more like what I have in mind. Couple of months to get it all done.

Don't SFC have accomodation on site still? They always used to, although maybe it's already fully booked.

Bingo! I'm in some sort of waiting list.. far as I understood it. But I'm not too sure as to.. how long I may have to wait :ugh:
Anyway, calling them again first thing on Monday so that may clear things up a bit.

MarcJF
23rd Apr 2006, 18:49
Again on a positive note, i did my PPL, at Cranfield, over a summer - well between May and November. Yes there were a few dull starts and rainy days, but there's plenty of reading to fill the gaps! I found Cranfield an excellen airport, you should also be able to find cheap local accomodation.

Good luck!

Eddie_Crane
23rd Apr 2006, 19:03
Hey, thanks for your post.
well between May and November
was that part-time though?

Which a/c did you do it on? Where you allocated one instructor only or did you have several? They quoted minimum 6 to 8 weeks, and one-to-one instruction with a single instructor for full-time PPL..
you should also be able to find cheap local accomodation
They did email me a list of local accommodation normally available to Cabair students, although it's a year old.

MarcJF
23rd Apr 2006, 19:25
Yes, i did it at another flying school at Cranfield, part time to fit in with work. Mostly in a C150 with a few flights in a C172. Had one stable instructor but school was very busy so met a few others - which is no bad thing as they all have a unique style. From memory Cabair was expensive, but smart with decent aircraft. As a university 'town' there is no shortage of rooms for rent, and if you have transport then slightly further afield you will find better quality for less.

dwshimoda
24th Apr 2006, 10:53
I did my PPL at Cranfield, and am doing all my advanced training there.

If you can committ to full time, you should be able to do it in a few months. If it is important to you to do it as fast as possible, I would suggest you speak to the school involved, and ask them. I know where I learnt they are happy to set up a specific programme for you, and it isn't unrealistic to achieve it in a month if you are committed. (Admittedly you do need a bit of luck with the weather!)

Also, if you do it in the summer, you can probably obtain accommodation at the University for the duration. If you don't mind living in a caravan, then I can give you details of a place that's about 400 yards from the schools.

A word of caution though, Cabair aren't in the business for training just PPL's - I'm not sure if you would get the attention you deserve if you are only spending £5k with them, as opposed to the £70k the others will be spending.

As always, visit the schools before you make your decision.

DW.

Eddie_Crane
24th Apr 2006, 12:45
A word of caution though, Cabair aren't in the business for training just PPL's - I'm not sure if you would get the attention you deserve if you are only spending £5k with them, as opposed to the £70k the others will be spending.

Hi, I thought of that too. I'm concerned that doing a PPL at a school that focuses mainly on commercial training might not be the best of ideas. They were quite nice in getting back to me and all that, so I did get a positive first impression.
I myself am aiming to go commercial later on and the PPL would be more like a "forced step" or "exercise" I need before I can do anything else, and perhaps being on Cabair's premises with a "foot in the door" , would help with the dreaded "where shall I train" decision..
It would be good to know of anyone else's experience doing PPLs at "major commercial" schools, such as AFT, Cabair or SFC.

dwshimoda
24th Apr 2006, 13:16
Cesco,

I have to ask, why does it need to be a major commercial school? It doesn't matter where you train, it's the quality of the training that counts. That's not the quality of the planes, the buildings, etc, but whether you get good briefings and debriefings, help with the concepts that don't click immediately, lessons that happen when they are supposed to happen, stability of instructors, etc.

As mentioned, the best thing you can do is go and visit a series of schools, talk to the students / instructors, ask about the support, etc. Would you spend £5k on a car without first researching the model, looking about for deals, after-care service, etc? It's your money, and you need to know you are investing it wisely.

Will Hung
24th Apr 2006, 13:25
Cesco, my advice, forget Grabair. Did mine with Billins Air Services at Cranfield. Excellent school. Excellent instructors who concentrate on teaching and not dressing up as pilots.

Eddie_Crane
24th Apr 2006, 14:01
Hi guys, thanks for you replies.
dwshimoda
no no, it doesnt have to be a large commercial school and I do (strongly) agree on investing my money wisely. I was just pointing out that *if* I were to think about going commercial with Cabair, it *might* have been a good idea to already have a foot in the door (or, using the same reasoning.. with AFT or SFC..), and by all means I stand to be corrected, I have no experience with any form of air training and that is why I ask for your suggestions guys.
Will Hung
would you have contact details for Billins Air Services? PM is ok if you prefer.

Will Hung
24th Apr 2006, 14:06
01234 751400

www.billinsair.freeserve.co.uk

Tell Richard I want some commission ! Good luck and enjoy.

dwshimoda
24th Apr 2006, 15:28
That's also where I learnt, and fly from, but didn't want to be seen to be biasing you :)

WH - I'll share the commission with you :ok: Have I bumped into you around over biscuits at some point?

DW

BroomstickPilot
25th Apr 2006, 10:18
Cesco,
Seeing as time scale is so important to you, it may well be a good idea to go to a major commercial flying school, but do tell them that you are seriously thinking of going professional eventually. Then, they will see you as potentially a 'self-sponsored' customer.
At a club, you are likely to be competing with a large number of other club members for your instructor's time. I went to clubs and found myself doing two flights a week, even though I was available full time and had plenty of money on tap.
You mention AFT Coventry. I have not flown there, but I did do several brush-up courses for my CPL there. They are a very decent crowd indeed and will treat you well. They also keep a list of low cost local lodgings, which is very handy for booking your accommodation.
Good luck, Cesco.
Broomstick.

Eddie_Crane
26th Apr 2006, 08:44
Hi guys,
thanks all for your contributions/opinions.
I am looking at various training options right now and will make up my mind very very soon. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute back, answering others' questions in the way you've all answered mine :)
and perhaps also adding a post or two to the "0->45hrs" thread... or starting a new "zero to hero" one ;)
Anyway, thanks again all for your posts. Very very much appreciated :)