PDA

View Full Version : CX and RR

Minimums!
21st Apr 2006, 20:14
Hi guys
Just wondering why all cathay fleet aircraft were powered with RR engines and now why are they getting aircraft that have P&W engines (747)?

Im going in for my cadet pilot stage 1 interview and ive heard that a possible question is why the new 747's are P&W 4000 powered.

any ideas are appreciated!

Minimums!

404 Titan
22nd Apr 2006, 00:17
Because we bought them second hand off Singapore Airlines. We have also bought some off South African Airways (not yet on the line) that are RR powered.

By the way the A340-300 aren't RR powered becasue it wasn't an optoin. They only came with CFM engines.

flyer_spotter
22nd Apr 2006, 04:46
The coming 773ERs aren't RR powered too. ;)

Minimums!
22nd Apr 2006, 20:03
Titan and Flyer Spotter. thanks for the info. If i read right the new 777-300ER's are GE powered. Is there a reason for CX "loyalty" to RR? From what ive seen in "beyond lion rock" it was to do with whether to pick the British RR powered L1011 or the US powered (wasnt sure if it was GE or P&W) DC-10's back in the 70's. And they picked the RR since back then the British gov't was throwing a temper tantrum about it. Is this right? Just need to know a good answer before the Stage 1 interview!

Again, any insight is highly useful!

Minimums!

Drunknsailor
24th Apr 2006, 16:14
You are right to think that patriotism had a lot to do with the initial purchase of RR powered equipment. However, I don't think CX would keep buying subpar products just to be patriotic!! Before your stage 1 I would go to the Rolls Royce website and find out some of the key differences between the RR engines and the US made PW & GE motors. I think you will find some additional good info there. Good luck with your interview

Denzil
24th Apr 2006, 19:52
And that HAESL is a joint venture between RR & HAECO (HAECO being owned by the Swire Group)

Minimums!
25th Apr 2006, 04:18
i did look up some of the RB 211 and trent 700 stuff on the RR website. From what i gather the rolls royce engines are:
1)better thrust to weight ratio
2)easier to start
3)reduced noise (high bypass)
4)low maintenance cost
5)lowest mature fuel burn
6)and for the trent 700, best climb performance

just to verify HAECO is hong kong aircraft engineering comp. LTD and HAESL is hong kong aero engine service LTD? They specialize in RR maintenance and are owned by cathay(through cx ownership of HAECO), by RR, and are also owned by Swire. Therefore its in everyones interest to use RR engines. do i have this right??

So thanks for the info guys!

Minimums!

Denzil
25th Apr 2006, 19:47
HAESL is owned by Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co. Ltd (45%), Rolls-Royce (45%) & SIA Engineering Co. Ltd (10%). Whilst HAECO carry out all the line maintenance in HKG (& to some degree hangar maintenance), TEACO in China carry out the majority of the heavy maintenance & also the 747-400BCF. TAECO is owned by Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Co. Ltd (54.55%), Xiamen Aviation Industry Co. Ltd (10.00%), Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd (9.09%), Japan Airlines Co. Ltd (9.09%), The Boeing Co (9.09%) &
Beijing Kailan Aviation Technology Co. Ltd (8.18%).

For more info on all of the above go to www.haeco.com

Minimums!
25th Apr 2006, 21:30
Denzil. Thanks for the clarification.

Hope to fly with you guys one day.

Minimums!