PDA

View Full Version : London Airshow 21 April !!

BIGBAD
21st Apr 2006, 18:39
Has anybody else wasted their entire day walking halfway across bloody london to get to earls court for this farce !!!!

What a joke ! What a rip off - 20 quid to see some spotter shops full of models and saddo wannabees playing microsoft flight sim on a big tv !! Did anybody see BA - 25 quid for a go on their "simulator" - yeah like its a real sim !!

Oh and the best bit was the Ryanair stand - big recruitment day it was advertised as, some bloke in scruffy clothes not interested unless you have 2000 hrs jet. I went to this show for a bit of networking and possible job leads and the ryanair guy gave me about 2 mins (he was completely unwhelmed by job seekers ie none!) and lost interest when I told him I had 200 hrs !!! :yuk: :yuk:

not worth the effort of spending the time or the money - others beware !!!

BB

PS the only thing worth seeing was the good old Navy's String Bag - beauty !!!

Bobs-Your-Uncle
21st Apr 2006, 19:23
I agree totally.

I went today (Friday). Anybody hunting for their first job shouldn't waste their time or money going to this thing in London. Good to buy stuff from AFE or Transair but little else.

Ryanair recruitment day......my @rse it was! Simply weren't interested unless you had xthousand hours and £xthousand to spend.

All low hour job hunters beware........save your money!!!!!

Bob

captwannabe
21st Apr 2006, 19:33
I was thinking of going (wanted to have a chat with CTC), but by the sounds of it I didn't miss much! How come CTC don't go to the FLYER Show?

Bobs-Your-Uncle
21st Apr 2006, 19:39
FLYER show probably full of spotters and not folks with £20k to spend on a type rating. Nothing in it for CTC.

BIGBAD
21st Apr 2006, 19:41
oh yeah how could I forget - there are a million flying schools/colleges after your fifty grand for a license with dozens of 20 year old spotty kids with a big gold bar on their shoulders telling you how great the school is !:eek:

Best of all check out the size of the shiny brochure from OAT - no wonder the courses are expensive if they churn out these expensive things - with lots of guys who get a big break within three weeks of finishing onto airbus/757/CRJ !!!:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Bobs-Your-Uncle
21st Apr 2006, 19:46
That's because OAT are the best quality students out there!

I won't hear a word said against them.

And yes, they do all get dream jobs within 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much must that glossy b*ll**** have cost them!

captwannabe
21st Apr 2006, 20:19
That's because OAT are the best quality students out there!

I won't hear a word said against them.

And yes, they do all get dream jobs within 3 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a load of :mad: ! Take a look at the "Flying Skills" post and it becomes quite apparent......

Bobs-Your-Uncle
21st Apr 2006, 20:59
That's a load of :mad: ! Take a look at the "Flying Skills" post and it becomes quite apparent......

Mate..... i was joking.

Chill out and have a cup of tea.

BIGBAD
21st Apr 2006, 21:37
no thats what these 2 striped wonders said with there own lips :yuk:

PS

what do those stripes mean

1 stripe - I'm allowed to do a walkaround solo
2 stripes - I've been allow to touch the controls and whilst it was flying too (but above 5000')
3 stripes - another 50 hours and I get to have a go at landing
4 stripes - I know it all and will have a PPL soon :confused: :confused:

Craggenmore
22nd Apr 2006, 17:06
Someone please close this thread :hmm:

Captain_Scooby
23rd Apr 2006, 09:28
Ok, Oxford-bashing aside, I was considering going along to Earl's Court today, but am now not sure sure it would be worth it. Did anyone find the opposite to the above - that it was actually worth going? Prompt replies appreciated as I'll have to get a move on if I'm going!

CS

FatFlyer
23rd Apr 2006, 10:07
Went yesterday, to be fair to the show, it was not advertised as a flight training or recruitment show but for general aviation interest.
There were a few schools trying to attract clients but if you are looking for a career show, perhaps the flight training exhibitions held at heathrow or the BALPA october job thingy would be better for you.
For those who are still interested in flying despite doing it for a living, there were some intersting bits such as a talk on aerobatics by Ultimate high team, a talk on paragliding if that interests you, plus some PFA and microlight a/c to look at as well.
If your sole interest is obtaining an airline job/ATPL it is probably not of much interest attending
ryanair of course want experienced jet pilots whom I assume they were hoping to speak to.

eeper
23rd Apr 2006, 11:45
Did anybody see BA - 25 quid for a go on their "simulator" - yeah like its a real sim !!
Before you launch into your ill-considered rant you might like to consider that the BA sim is not a profit making making venture. Any money that is raised over the operating costs goes towards the flight operations charity High Flight which raises money to take disabled and under-priviliged children flying. The pilots who operate it do it in their own time and for no payment.
Oh, and even at £25 the sim was fully booked by quarter past ten and everyone who had a go thoroughly enjoyed themselves and was very impressed with the sim's recent upgrade.
I can't comment on the value of the rest of the airshow - I was too busy giving up my own time offering advice to people starting their own careers and trying to give an insight as to what the job was like to those considering starting flight training.

Re-Heat
23rd Apr 2006, 16:46
BIGBAD

You are a misery and missed the point of the show.

I agree that it was not particularly busy compared to other shows, nor did it have appropriately tailored areas, however I cannot comment on its overall value as I had given up my time to sit and give careers advice.

It did however have a vast range of stands appealling to various interest groups, from airfields offering free landing vouchers to the aforementioned BA, and from FlightSims (which to be honest encourage a lot of people to enter the industry before they grow out of them) to RAF and Naval historic flight.

I do sometimes think on this forum that people want a nice cushy guiding hand into an aviation career - it is no different from any other job. Sort it out yourself and don't expect everything to be laid out for you. It is by no means a charitible industry!

squawkident.
23rd Apr 2006, 18:31
Well said REHEAT. The show wasn't as busy as last year, but still had some great features. I enjoyed myself and looking into starting an ATPL course soon, i also found the careers lectures very useful too.