PDA

View Full Version : Tatenhill Aerodrome

Fried_Chicken
21st Apr 2006, 18:19
The following article has appaered in one of the local rags:-

(link to online version)
http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/detail.asp?cat=General%20News&id=6373955

"PLANS have been drawn-up to carry out a massive expansion of an airfield near Burton, the Mail can exclusively reveal.
Proposals have been put forward to transform Tatenhill Airfield by erecting eight aircraft hangars, a new administration and control tower and thousands of square feet of surfacing for new runways, car parking and access.

Today, residents reacted angrily at the proposals, which they fear may herald the first step to eventually opening a 'budget airport' at the site.

They believe the plans will lead to a major increase in the number and size of planes using the airfield, creating problems with noise for thousands of people who live in surrounding villages.

They have also raised issues regarding the environmental impact and the safety of having more planes taking off and landing at the site.

The airfield is part of the Needwood Estate and falls under the massive portflio of land owned by the Duchy of Lancaster, an ancient body responsible for managing the Queen’s property

It is currently managed by Tatenhill Aviation Ltd and used mainly for limited private use and flying lessons.

Under the Crown development procedure, applications by the Duchy do not face the same scrutiny as normal planning proposals.

Planning inspectors at East Staffordshire Borough Council were notified of the proposals"

I've always found Tatenhill to be a friendly airfield so if this does turn out to be true, I hope that friendlyness won't be lost

FC

Rod1
21st Apr 2006, 19:04
All true except the budget airline bit. The runway is about 1100m long but only 750 ish is licensed. Part of the plan is to clean and repaint the unlicenced bit of runway and get back to 1100 ish m, far too short for a budget airline. The hangers etc are for GA use and it will be a great place to be if it stays friendly and is not massively more expensive.

Rod1

tmmorris
21st Apr 2006, 20:37
I must say this is the sort of ill-informed article that could only have been written by someone who knows NOTHING about aviation - like most local newspaper journos who are desperate for their first big story.

Many years' experience of the Burton Mail suggests this is par for the course...

I have submitted my comments as a former Burton resident: interesting to see if they print them.

Tim