PDA

View Full Version : ANO and alcohol limit?

HZ123
21st Apr 2006, 18:09
I know at BA there are the odd breathalyser of random flt and CC. Is the same practice in place for ATCO's?

GT3
21st Apr 2006, 18:35
NATS currently has no random testing for ATCOs. New recruits into the company can be tested on a random basis during their first year of employ, after that they are exempt from a random test.

Any test of alcohol/drugs can only be done when there is just cause and a senior manager (MATC for example) has to give the ok for this to happen.

Scott Voigt
21st Apr 2006, 21:28
In the US the FAA does random drug and alcohol testing...

Wonkavater
21st Apr 2006, 22:19
I suppose it doesn't help that the ANO states "A person shall not when exercising the privileges of an air traffic controller's license be under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to impair his capacity to exercise such privileges" (ANO Art 96)

Kinda vague as to what the limit is. Can you imagine what kind of chaos we'd have if the drink driving law was worded so loosely?

Spitoon
21st Apr 2006, 22:38
But the legislation we're talking about is the Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003 - you can read it here (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts2003/30020--f.htm#93).

It's very specific and, if your profile is correct and you are an ATCO, I suggest you read it because it applies to you!

And if you can't be bothered to read it - it's a quarter of the limit for driving (for blood at least).

Spitoon
22nd Apr 2006, 06:39
The CAA issued a really helpful ATSIN (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1182)on the subject that explained all about who enforced the legislation and what responsibilities existed under the ANO.

It's a shame they've taken lots of the ATSINs off the web site and don't seem to have published the information anywhere else (this is one of them that has gone). I'm sure you used to be able to get any ATSIN no matter how old it was.

Still, never mind, I suppose we should be grateful that they were helpful for a while!