PDA

View Full Version : London-Tokyo Route???

J32/41
21st Apr 2006, 12:17
Just wondered if anyone could help, what would the likely route be flying from London to Tokyo, where would you fly over???

Thanks

Hand Solo
21st Apr 2006, 12:24
UK, Netherlands, Germany, Finland, Russia, Japan.

Hotel Mode
21st Apr 2006, 15:13
To look on a map see here http://www.planningchart.de Although there is 1 route not covered that runs up the norwegian coast and then just north of Novary Zemlya (the big island north of Siberia) joining the standard routes west of kharbarovsk. Its more usual on the return though.

Rudder Pedals
22nd Apr 2006, 00:46
This should give you some idea -

http://gc.kls2.com/

Just type LHR-NRT into the 'Paths' box and Bob's your uncle :ok:

Jinkster
23rd Apr 2006, 16:30
I think the Scandinavian airlines tend to do the polar route but you'll have to fly via Denmark or Finland from London.

:)

wiggy
23rd Apr 2006, 23:07
Thanks for the link.

J52/41

FWIW "my" Company's routes all start out Eastwards from LHR, but differ after passing roughly overhead Malmo, where they either
(a) pretty much follow the great circle via Murmansk, out over the Arctic up to about 80 North and then head back down to Khaborovsk in Eastern Russia or
(b) pass overhead St Petersburg, then Eastwards staying overland toward Mirny and then again over Khabarovsk.
after Khabarovsk it's then pretty much due South toward Ydinka on the Coast, due South across the Sea of Japan to Nigata and on to Tokyo.

I see the ideal Great circle would have us overflying China, rather than going via Khaborovsk - maybe politics or nav charges account for us not doing that.

catocontrol
14th May 2006, 23:37
"Speedbird" passes overhead "my" VOR, EVD, in northern Norway

WHBM
15th May 2006, 16:52
I regularly travel to St Petersburg, Russia, and in the middle of the day local time a lot of this traffic, maybe a dozen or more per day, tends to come westbound overhead the city (eastbounds pass at night there). In the clear northern air in summer the 747 contrails seem particularly vivid and long-lasting. There's no Russian traffic on such a route (indeed, you never see Russian aircraft over the city, likewise Moscow) and some discussion here on PPRuNe a while back showed me it was Japanese/Korean/Chinese traffic to Europe.

Some days there is nothing, I guess it just depends on the winds aloft which of the tracks is most favourable.

Normal route from St Pete to London is direct Copenhagen direct Clacton.