PDA

View Full Version : Caernarfon cafe gone to pot or just an off day?

Hireandhire
21st Apr 2006, 12:16
Called into Caernarfon (by road this time as it happens) a couple of days ago, after a gap of a year or two since I last flew in.
Either
a) the cafe were having an off day, in which case treat this as customer feedback with the best of intentions. I would like to be able to fly in again.
or
b) It has gone downhill in a big way.
They were not at all busy but the cafe was dirty, the tables not clean enough to eat from, the food basic and badly done. The staff behind the counter were perfectly welcoming but drowned out by the club bore at full chat. He needed to direct his one-sided banter at somebody invisible two rooms away - if I'd had my headset I'd have put them on.
Please tell me this is not normal now. So many destinations do it better..........
regards
HnH

Shaggy Sheep Driver
21st Apr 2006, 14:39
Some years ago they used to have a lovely cafe in the tower, with views over the airfield. Last time I flew in that had gone, and there was a less-than-inspiring greasy spoon on the ground floor.

SSD

Mariner9
21st Apr 2006, 14:51
An off day IMHO HnH

Caernarfon has always been a favourite destination of mine, great en-route scenery, 5 minute walk to the beach, an aircraft museum on site etc etc. Was last there abt a month ago (bumped into Aztec25), food was reasonable and the cafe was clean enough.

aztec25
21st Apr 2006, 15:35
Caernarfon has always been a favourite destination of mine too, and never had any complaints. Come on folks down there at CAE get your act together.
Hi Mariner!
Az

camlobe
21st Apr 2006, 15:40
HnH,
Really sorry you didn't enjoy the hospitality here at EGCK. I shall bring your comments to the attention of 'the management'.
I know the airfield manager is working hard to improve the image and presentation of the airfield after a fallow period a few years ago.

Quite genuinely, I sincerely hope your next visit exceeds your expectations.

Thank you for your comments. They are a valuable input.

(P.S. no, I am not part of 'the management', but like most people here, I take pride in what I do and care about what people like yourself think).

Camlobe

qdmaviation
21st Apr 2006, 16:00
As the operator of the airport I can assure everyone that Caernarfon was just having an off day and that I have brought the issues to the attention of the manager of the cafe.

I have written a letter to the airport cafe frachisee who assures me that the standards will be raised in line with my high standards. I apologie to anyone that thought the place is going down hill and have taken the comments on board.

I will promise everyone on this forum that I will personally ensure that this will never happen again. Even go to the extent that I will personally invite HIREANDHIRE to come and inspect the facilities with a free landing fee.

I am working hard as are all of the team here to raise the standards whilst fighting with the crippling costs of running the airport. As the operator at 22 you can understand how hard it must be.

My name is Sam Betley and you are free to contact me on 01286 830 800. Please support us!

Thank you and I look forward to seeing you all soon

Mariner9
21st Apr 2006, 16:26
Please support us!

I'll certainly be back QDM. :ok: How about hosting a future proon Private Flying forum fly-in?

aztec25
21st Apr 2006, 16:35
Me too - one of my favaourite destinations.

qdmaviation
21st Apr 2006, 16:50
Thank you very much for your support and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Please make your self known to me, thanks again.

Sam

Hireandhire
21st Apr 2006, 17:09
Sam and camlobe hi
Thanks for taking it in the spirit intended. Best possible answer thanks: I really do want all our GA airfields to flourish. We will gladly fly in over the next couple of months and give it another go.
Much appreciate the personal invitation too, Sam I'll certainly come and say hello, but let me put the landing fee into your nearest charity tin.
Best wishes with taking EGCK forward this flying season.
regards
HnH

qdmaviation
21st Apr 2006, 17:21
Hi,

I look forward to that, and I can show you the plans I have the airport. It is a beutiful airport with excellent people and the feedback is appreciated. I welcome any ideas as well. The cafe is actually due for redevelopment in October and it will be upgraded considerably.

Here is too a happy summer flying in excellent weather.

Have a nice evening

Sam

WorkingHard
22nd Apr 2006, 13:11
qdmaviation - how splendid that you should identify yourself and accept there was a problem There are lots of airfield management less than willing on that issue. May I wish you all success and whilst a long way from you I shall make a point of visiting sometime soon.

cessna l plate
22nd Apr 2006, 19:46
I fly in as a passenger on occasion, last there about 4 weeks ago, and the cream cake was to die for!!!!

Seriously, this airfield is a little gem, with breathtaking scenery all year round. As an additional bonus, lying right on the coast, it doesn't hurt the navigating brain too much either. I have met Sam a few times and he really is trying to run a good ship, and deserves all the preaise and support we as a GA community can heap upon him.

As you may or may not know, the Wales Air Ambulance (or one of them) is based at CAE and the airfield goes a long way to raising funds for this charity. This includes Sam himself dipping into his pockets. Only the other week I was DJ / compere at a fund rasing evening ( you now know who I am Sam and I do have the pictures!!) where QDM were among a lot of other organisations paying for tales and offering prizes from their own pockets.

As was said before running an airfield is a financially precarious operation at the best of times, and this just shows the devotion to aviation that exists at CAE and QDM!!

This is a great airfield and I for one would not hesitate to reccomend it to anyone.

So to all in GA, make a line for CAE on your next day out and help support a superb field, and great manager.

That's my tuppence worth anyway!

Shoestring Flyer
22nd Apr 2006, 20:09
Visited Caernafon last weekend and would agree with most of the comments.The cafe seems to be mainly geared to the local caravan site residents.
Didn't have too many complaints about the food except that it was extremely slow service.
The main gripe that we had, my female partner and I, was the awful state of the toilets.....!!!

qdmaviation
23rd Apr 2006, 08:16
Having only taken over in September put having been here 5 years I am trying to improve the place in line with a tight budget as well.

The cafe is long due for redevelopment which is being done in the winter and an extension of the small toilets is long overdue as well. I personally check the toilets every couple of hours, ten toilet rolls where stolen from the ladies over the easter weekend. I know that aviation is scary but 10 toliet rollls a day for the ladies is a bit much!!!!

The airport has a five year plan for redevelopment I really dont want to down the route of putting the prices up in order to complete this any quicker.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and I have taken them on board. They will be but into actions. Trust me!

Bare with me and keep coming to what must be the most scenic airport in the country.

qdmaviation
23rd Apr 2006, 08:23
I would like to look at the pictures, how much do you want for them?? Good Memories.

Just to add to the other comments, I managed to turn the flying school around at the airport and won alot of Shell Livewire Young Entrepreneur of the Year Awards, you are welcome to search Sam Betley on google.

I have the utmost belief that I can do it again now as the operator of the whole airport.

Please give me some time, I am working seven days a week to suceed.

It is very important that I have feedback and thank you people for it.

Mike Cross
23rd Apr 2006, 08:28
Bare with me
I hope that's a typo rather than an invitation!:D

Whirlybird
23rd Apr 2006, 08:31
Sam, lots of luck; we need more people like you in GA. :ok:

I love Caernarfon; it was the first airfield I flew to alone after I got my PPL(A), way back in 1998. I've been there several times since, and hope to visit again this summer.

See you then...so make sure there's enough loo paper in the ladies. :) :) :)

qdmaviation
23rd Apr 2006, 08:55
Do worry there is a toilet paper factory about 10 miles away!!

Sorry for the spelling mistake.

Sam Betley

maggioneato
26th Apr 2006, 20:41
Been to Caernarfon today. Usual friendly welcome. Ladies toilets spot on, I didn't go in the gents. :E Cafe clean and tidy. Nice man on the radio. What more could you want? Thanks Sam. I'll be back. :ok:

raejones
27th Apr 2006, 16:34
I too made my first flight as a PPL Holder there. :) Had been there before as a pax so it was the natural choice for my first offical 'Hundred Quid Bacon Butty!'....and imagine my suprise to discover I had the large runway to play with so didn't have to do the precarious approach over the caravan park. ;)

hambleoldboy
29th Apr 2006, 18:42
Was there last Sunday, had the 'Breakfast Pizza (not for the faint hearted!)' and a pot of tea. Absolutely delicious, good fast and friendly service, clean tables and the gents was ok. The manager came up to me on his own initiative and asked with everything was ok. I've known Caernarfon Airworld for 4 years and have always found the atmosphere friendly and efficient.

timjimreed
30th Apr 2006, 17:42
Please ask the coffee shop to bring back the Merf Burger.

It was a burger from heaven and one to be washed down with a cuppa tea.

camlobe
30th Apr 2006, 18:27
timjimreed, I have just seen your post and advised Myrf (pronounced Merv) that his concoction is famous. And popular.:}

For the unknowing, Myrf Burger's are not for the fainthearted and consist of the following:

Large (jumbo) bap
burger
cheese
sausage
bacon
cheese (again)
fried egg
onion
mushroom
burger (again)
red sauce
mayo