PDA

View Full Version : RAF SAR Helicopters get new marine transceivers.....

GengisKhant
21st Apr 2006, 10:25
From the
Radio communication company Icom UK has recently supplied the Royal Air Force Search and Rescue with the new IC-M71 VHF marine transceiver, reports BYM News.
The contract will see every RAF Search and Rescue (SAR) helicopter throughout the UK and worldwide use the IC-M71 as the means of communication between the winch man and helicopter. In addition Icom UK will also be supplying the RAF with throat microphones, speaker microphones and spare battery packs.
An MOD source commented, “The introduction of the IC-M71 radios into the RAF SAR Force inventory has provided the winchman with a modern, reliable radio that has filled a significant capability gap. The evaluation that was carried out by the SAR Helicopter Standards Unit achieved results that far exceeded expectation in range and clarity. Furthermore, the compact, rugged design naturally lends itself to the demanding hostile environment regularly encountered by SAR Force crews. The successful evaluation and decision to purchase the IC-M71 radio was made a lot easier by the highly efficient and professional team at Icom UK Ltd”.

GengisK :ok:

rafloo
21st Apr 2006, 11:47
Sounds a good piece of kit. How much was it?

sarboy99
21st Apr 2006, 12:07
What happened to the Polycon system?

SAR Bloke
21st Apr 2006, 17:12
RAF SAR helicopters are not really getting new radios!!

The new ICOM radio is a hand held, marine band, transceiver that the Winchman will carry. New rules on MRT frequencies required a new radio as the one that was previously carried (in addition to the polycon) did not have the new frequencies. The polycon operates as a 'remote' intercom and can only communicate with the base station on the helicopter (or another polycon fitted helicopter). The ICOM unit can talk to anyone using normal marine frequencies. This includes the Coastguard and civilian and military MRT's.

The polycon system was supposed to be fitted with a marine band 'card' to enable it to do this but there are problems with it at the moment (i'm not exactly sure what).

EDIT: It does not cost very much (about 1/10th of the new MRT radio).

SARREMF
21st Apr 2006, 17:12
These are in addition to polycon as they work as a marine band radio I think rather than extend the intercom of the aircraft. Or at least, thats what I think they do.

Blast, beaten to it by SAR Bloke. Didn't realise they included MR though so thats even better then! And yes SARBOY99 you will get them at SARTU.

SASless
21st Apr 2006, 19:45
Can someone interpret this statement for me please....English is my second language and my American fails me here.

In addition Icom UK will also be supplying the RAF with throat microphones, speaker microphones and spare battery packs.

As I recall....throat mikes went out with World War Two....(in the USA anyway) although I did use them with Bristow in the Seventies (along with that wonderful system called Decca).

Is this really a step "forward"? Throat mikes?

CarltonBrowne the FO
21st Apr 2006, 19:57
I would have thought throat mikes would be ideal for a winchman- less transmission of background noise?