PDA

View Full Version : Air New Zealand or Singapore Airlines?

BDWW
21st Apr 2006, 00:39
Hi everyone, i would like some advice whether to choose between Air NZ and Singapore Airlines on my next trip to New Zealand.
I'm flying to NZ (Wellington) in September and returning in March 2007 and the best fares for me have turned up with either NZ or SQ. The SQ flight can get me to AKL or CHC (via SIN) for 750 pounds and NZ can get me to WLG for 800 pounds. I need a stopover in each direction for at least 1 day to break up the journey. Do i choose NZ and endure LAX (but can go via HKG coming back) or go through SIN?

NZ advantages over SQ are that they can get me all the way to WLG and they have more leg room than SQ. Also i would be able to take more baggage with NZ. Disadvantages are i would have to spend 1 night in LA and more expensive.

However SQ is cheaper (but i would have to buy a separate NZ connecting flight) and i hear Singapore is a good stopover. But there is less legroom than NZ, so what would you all reccommend me to do?

Thanks in advance for your advice

BDWW

Tarq57
21st Apr 2006, 03:53
ANZ from LAX to NZ will land at Auckland or maybe Christchurch anyway; so you still need to change planes to get to Wellington. The difference being that the domestic leg should be included in the ticket price. Domestic price to Wellington (if you went SQ and need to purchase same)will be about 40 -80 pounds depending on availability of the cheap seats. I've heard that LA is rather hideous, plus there are the security checks involved when leaving the airport to overnight somewhere. A better bet, well, what I would choose, is to try and purchase a fare London to Sydney (or Brisbane,or Melbourne) and then pick up an ANZ (or Freedom, or Virgin) flight direct from Oz to Wellington. That leg would be on an A320, quite comfy if ANZ. (Any domestic NZ leg, if you landed in Auckland or Christchurch,would be 30-50minutes on a 737). http://www.airlinequality.com/index.htm this might be useful for feedback on seat comfort.

GorgeousKiwiGal
21st Apr 2006, 06:06
Air New Zealand is absolutely the airline to go for!! Singapore a good too, but nothing compares to the Air New Zealand Cabin Staff, fun and hospitality on board :) .

Bangkokeasy
21st Apr 2006, 08:03
I am sure GKG and her colleagues are wonderful, entertaining, warm hearted people...

However, the kicker is your choice of transit airport. On the one hand, Singapore is undisputedly one of the world's best, while LAX is one of the worst. Your options once in NZ are not much different, whichever airline you choose.

Mind you, there are other choices, you know. How about TG via Bangkok, who fly daily direct BKK-AKL?

angels
21st Apr 2006, 08:22
Must disagree with Kiwigal.

Singapore is a far better stopover than LA. You'll touch down at (IMHO) the best airport in the world as opposed to the hell that is LAX. You'll breeze through immigration and your bags will arrive on the carousel in good order (if they're not there already).

Unless you're really unlucky and you have to queue for five minutes you'll dive into a waiting cab to your hotel. Assuming you're staying in the Orchard Road area the cab will set you back a whole tenner.

Whatever your tastes, you'll enjoy what Singapore has to offer in your layover. I would say spend at least 2-3 days there, it really helps the jet lag and you needn't spend a fortune.

When you depart I guarantee you the time between check-in to airside will be quicker than LAX.

Oh, and I always found that in cattle class, flying SQ was a pleasure.

qcc2
21st Apr 2006, 08:22
as a regular visitor (crew) to both lax and sin i can only recommend singapore. singapoer is clean, always warm, food is excellent and so are the hotels. lax is full of americans. tha t alone should stop you from transitting there.any which way to avoid lax airport. its a nightmanre allround:ok:

320JI
21st Apr 2006, 15:39
Without doubt go SQ. Been LHR/LAX with Air NZ was not that impressed. No personal video and the aircraft was a bit "tired" inside.

SQ were brilliant to on 4 legs from LHR-SIN-BNE-SIN-LHR. I was travelling with an 18month baby. SIN is the best airport i have ever been too and LAX is probably the worst.

Still price is king i always say but with only a few £ difference it would be SQ all the way.

OzPax1
21st Apr 2006, 19:36
SQ for me too. In fact I'm flying from Heathrow to Brisbane & return with them at the end of June. All my recent trips back home to Oz have been with them for all the reasons stated above.

Changi is also one of the best airports to arrive/depart & transit though. Lots of shops and things to do (some of which are free). I always grab a shower which at approx $8 singapore is very cheap, and as with everything else in Singapore they are very clean!

The late XV105
21st Apr 2006, 19:49
Singapore Airlines all the way, especially if cattle class. Although I usually now fly business class long haul, the best two economy flights I've taken were both with Singapore Airlines. As others have posted you then also have the efficiency of Singapore airport as well as a stopover in clean and secure Singapore City. I much enjoyed the excellent food markets; a fabulous fusion of Asian cuisine and a few Tiger beers for a couple of quid.

On my last such trip I stayed at the Mandarin hotel on Orchard road; a typically clean and tidy modern hotel with perfect location - bang opposite the HMV store for hours of music browsing and right on top of a metro stop - and storming price thanks to a deal through Singapore Airlines.

cavortingcheetah
22nd Apr 2006, 06:48
:)

Air New Zealand every time for the crews, mirth and merriment. But I regret to say that you absolutely have to go with Singapore.
LAX is an absolute nightmare and really almost any en route pain is worth it not to have to go through there. In fact I believe that ANZ are actually looking at a UK Eastbound route to NZ just to avoid the hell hole that is the City of the Angels, more like Satan's fallen really!
Furthermore, Singapore will probably give you a fantastic hotel deal in Singapore, sometimes even a free lay over if their flights do not connect onwards. If they do this, you can usually wheedle a second night there at a huge discount.
Singapore certainly used to be quite susceptible to last minute cheap upgrades as well.;)

EI-CFC
22nd Apr 2006, 11:21
In fact I believe that ANZ are actually looking at a UK Eastbound route to NZ

I think they've now launched it. Starting sometime in June if my memory serves me correctly.

Globaliser
23rd Apr 2006, 00:56
I think they've now launched it. Starting sometime in June if my memory serves me correctly.It's actually at the beginning of the northern winter (http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/aboutus/mediacentre/pressreleases/air_nz_announces_second_london_service_via_asia.htm) (28 October), to be pedantic.

Metro man
23rd Apr 2006, 15:52
If I had not been outside LAX I would not have believed I was in a first world country. One of the worst airports I've ever been to, and someone actually wrote a song about it !

Love Singapore airport, a five hour break there would be an absolute pleasure even with two young children in tow. Never flown ANZ so can't comment on them, SIA my favourite airline and will chose them unless competition are considerably cheaper.:ok: