PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Aviation/Airlines

21st Apr 2006, 00:29
Just requesting some info on this outfit. Good/Bad? What they're like to work for etc..... I've done a search on here and google and haven’t turned up all that much.
I believe there is progression from instructing to RPT ops, is this true?

glekichi
21st Apr 2006, 02:29
Id like to know too.
Do their "co-pilots" log time on the PA31, or is it just an unofficial helping hand?

morning mungrel
22nd Apr 2006, 11:31
Glekichi, "Co Pilot"? You must be mistaken. "They" call it ICUS!! And log it as such too!!:hmm:

Centaurus
22nd Apr 2006, 12:43
Is there any limit on the number of hours ICUS one can legally log? In Australia it seems to me that ICUS hours are regarded with some derision by chief pilots interviewing a pilot for a job. If you are looking for a job in Asia, ICUS hours are better regarded. I am aware of one first officer flying 737's logging left seat ICUS managed to score a command job in India on the 737.

OpsNormal
22nd Apr 2006, 21:26
Is there any limit on the number of hours ICUS one can legally log? In Australia it seems to me that ICUS hours are regarded with some derision by chief pilots interviewing a pilot for a job. If you are looking for a job in Asia, ICUS hours are better regarded. I am aware of one first officer flying 737's logging left seat ICUS managed to score a command job in India on the 737.

No, there is no hard limit, unless of course a company (as is their want) may set their own threshold of how much ICUS they will accept in their own instance. ICUS is a useful tool to help someone employed within an organisation to achieve an experience level (that say an insurance company or a client may require) to commence command ops on a certain type or types, or even to achieve the required hours on a multi type to satisfy CASA's requirements of a few hours on type before certain operations.

The problem starts with many many ICUS hours, without the follow-up command experience on what amounts to a single pilot aircraft. This may mean that the pilot did not pass or continue to pass the checking regime that his/her previous company concerned may have. Or, this may also scream out loud to the CP "HEY MAN, I DID MY BIT TO SCREW THE INDUSTRY EVEN FURTHER AND PAID FOR MY (50/100/200+hrs) ICUS".

While I believe it has its place (in fact I have only recently helped someone achieve what they needed for a META), it is not the answer some are looking for.

bushy
23rd Apr 2006, 12:47
CASA do not recognise ICUS as command time.

Knockout
23rd Apr 2006, 19:38
Back onto the original post:

Sharp Airlines are an OK outfit. They use a 172 for basic training and run 3 Cheiftens on the RPT runs.

I saw in Australian Flying they have an "Open Day" on the 13th of May.

KO