PDA

View Full Version : Multi before cpl

genius747
20th Apr 2006, 18:43
Hi all, does anybody have any comments about getting a ME rating before getting a CPL. IE: putting the ME add on onto the JAR PPL then taking the cpl after? Just about juggling times and start dates and not wanting to loose out time doing nothing.

Any comments??

Thanks

mattd2k
20th Apr 2006, 19:11
Did my MEP before my CPL. No real dramas. My reason, had finished my ATPL's and wanted to do something while waiting to start my CPL.
Don't think it would make much difference when you did it, except if you do it just before you IR. Then everything regarding the a/c will be much fresher than if you last flew it a few months before.
Hope this helps. :ok:

Sky Wave
20th Apr 2006, 19:11
I did it, it's certainly not a disadvantage although it may well work out a more expensive way of doing things however, BEWARE No bugga will let you rent one once you're qualified!!!

SW

FougaMagister
21st Apr 2006, 12:12
Did the same; no real dramas for me either; however, make sure you do it either during or after your ATPL study, NOT before - otherwise you may just have to renew it before taking your ME/IR skill test (MEP[L] validity is one year).

If anything, it made my life easier for the CPL (I had tasted a complex twin before getting to grips with a complex single!)

I would recommend either the Piper Seminole or the Beech Duchess (easiest MEP types to learn on), but you may want to do your MEP rating on whatever aircraft you'll use for the ME/IR.
Cheers :cool: