PDA

View Full Version : Allopurinol (Zyloric)

CherokeeDriver
20th Apr 2006, 16:40
Unfortunately have to take 100mg of this daily for the rest of my life to treat Gout / Arthritis. Will ask my AME but anyone aware of any problems maintaining a Class 1/2 medical on this stuff?:sad:

Lou Scannon
20th Apr 2006, 22:10
Take heart. I was put on 300mg daily of Allopurinol at the age of thirty three to reduce my uric acid level and prevent gout. That was in 1973!

My aircrew medical cat. was reduced to A2G2Z1 from A1G1Z1 simply to alert any medic who saw my documents. It was not a problem in any way to getting and holding a Class one medical with the CAA and FAA for many years.

I did hear that the only side effects from this drug seem to be beneficial and I haven't had a twinge of that excruciating pain in my big toe joint since 1973!

Loose rivets
21st Apr 2006, 03:51
One word really...Ditto.

gengis
21st Apr 2006, 07:50
I found these medicines only provided temporary relief. But one thing that has worked for me - permanently - is taking lots of fresh cherries. I load up on them when they r in season, and this takes care of the uric acid levels for the next 3-4 months. Never had to touch those medicines again. Maybe u wanna try this out. But only fresh cherries

Loose rivets
21st Apr 2006, 15:14
That's interesting, I'll run that by my vegetarian / alternative medicine wife. Every day books arrive about healthy eating, there's sure to be something about cherries.

The trouble here is, the cost of food is bewilderingly high, and I have resisted buying cherries, which I love, cos of the cost. Still, cheaper than Allopurinol no doubt, now that I'm on my last allowed British script.:mad:

The dangers of coming off this drug were spelled out to me in no uncertain terms. Really bad gout is....well, wasn't it Phillip II? of Spain that died a horrible death from it.

One of ‘our' doctors on this forum was kind enough to give me a briefing on the subject. The gist was, that if you get the symptoms at an early age, the main factor is genetic. Sort of cast in stone.

CherokeeDriver
21st Apr 2006, 17:45
Thanks to all for setting my mind at rest. Luckily the prescription for the drugs is (only) £6.65 for three months worth in the UK. My doctor has aid that in his experiance the 100mg works as well as the 300mg in the long term. I have another blood test booked for the end of June so I'll let you know if the reduced amount works in my instance.

I am looking at dietry concerns as well. Apparently beer drinking is bad, so it looks as if I'll have to start on the Magners Cider (usual Summer tipple) a month or so early! Mrs CD is one of these "tree hugging" cooks as well so I think the contents of the fridge may change!

MikeJeff
28th Apr 2006, 14:44
Not yet started allopurinal.. I find lots of water significantly reduces "episodes"

I believe there is a chance of becoming allergic to the drug.. albeit a slight chance.

Henry VIII had gout. The story goes that Cardinal Wolsey lost favour with the king because he dropped a chair on his foot mid gout attack!

Loose rivets
28th Apr 2006, 19:08
I thought that it was because he got his Hampton court.

Er, sorry, I'm normally in serious mode on this forum.