PDA

View Full Version : Le Touqet

Juicy Lucy
20th Apr 2006, 15:53
I have searched for posts about flying to Le Touquet and there are lots of them. I plan to go there for the first time with my boyfriend in the next few weeks and wondered if anyone knows any sites or links that I can go to that may have an idiots guide to getting there for the first time. If not I'll carry on trawling through all of the posts on PPRuNE.

JL

x

littco
20th Apr 2006, 17:31
Hi JL

I would be very inerested in this too. Hopefully going over there Next month. My instructor said they would do a trip over there with me, If I wanted but I'm yet to book anything, due to ATPL exam commitments:uhoh:

If anyone could help be great..

Phoenix09
20th Apr 2006, 17:52
This is quite a good site that explains what you need to do.

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/flying_to_france.htm

DeeCee
20th Apr 2006, 18:53
You'll find it much easier and more fun than you imagine. If possible, a cross channel check flight with an Instructor is the best idea and then you can relax and enjoy it. The first time that you cross over will stay with you for a long time, if not for ever. LFAT is a welcoming place for first time pilots. But don't hesitate to visit other airfields as well. Flying in France is much easier than in the UK (less controlled airspace etc) and they have a long history of flying. You will be surprised how welcoming the French can be to visiting pilots. Have fun!

DeeCee

Fuji Abound
20th Apr 2006, 19:05
Planning

1 You must notify L2K of your details in advance - details here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194098&highlight=le+touquet,

2 You will need to fill out a flight plan - dont forget to include your ETA for the FIR boundary London info will expect you to do so,

3 You will need to fill out a GAR,

4 You should consider what safety equipment to take. Survival time in the channel is very very short at this time of year. Consider hiring a life raft if you dont have one,

5 The simplest route is LYD dct Boulogne. This enable you to track down the coast to L2K which may help with orientation first time,

6 Consider your diversion(s). VFR can unexpectedly become IFR at L2K. It is often simpler to divert to Lyd,

7 Get the auto METAR

8 Consider your instrument currency. Even on good VMC days if you have never been across the channel before you can find yourself on "semi-instruments".

9 Dont forget passports - rarely checked but required (although see previous post)

10 Check NOTAMS. Rarely, L2K is french only. There may of course be other relevant NOTAMS.

En route

1 Get as high as you can by LYD. The class A base is FL55. Up around the base you are only out of glide range of the coast for a very short time. Make sure you fly the correct FL for your heading - it is useful even if VFR,

2 Its worth checking in with Lyd - they can often give you up to date weather,

3 Probably talk with London for the crossing - they will expect you to report the FIR boundary,

4 Once you reach the coast route along the coast. You will see the wind generators to the north of the river. The only active runway now is parallel with the river,

5 The ATIS is in French and English so wait until the English version runs if you need to - it is all on the same recording,

6 ATC is more relaxed than we are use to and some care is needed on busy weekends when all the Brits are also flying to L2K for the first time - you can guarantee the odd wally,

7 There is masses of runway so no problems there. I cant remember the seaward runway heading but whatever it is expect some turbulence in winds above 20 knots on the approach, otherwise both approaches are pretty trouble free.

After landing

Bikes can be hired and are good fun. 15 minutes cycle into town.

Taxis are OK but can be a real pain on busy weekends. They can be slow and will often only take you into town.

There are a few very good restaurants and a lot of mediocre ones.

Flight plans are filed by fax. Unlike here it is usually possible to file 10 minutes before departure.

Enjoy

Cricket23
20th Apr 2006, 20:32
JL,

It looks as tho' you've had the getting there advice.

As for restaurants, I'd recommend 'Sarl Le Jardin'. It's just on the right, past the roundabout as you enter the town, overlooking the park/garden (as the name suggests). Good food and reasonably priced.

I'd also recommend cycling from the airport as there are some lovely houses to look at which would be missed if you whizz by in a taxi.

Regards,

C23

DaveW
20th Apr 2006, 22:29
Lucy, the advice already given, including Phoenix09's link, probably cover it, but you might find one or two extra snippets of use on my site here (http://www.atsx91.dsl.pipex.com/Going_Foreign.htm). There's nothing specific about Le Touquet there, mind.

Fuji Abound
21st Apr 2006, 20:59
I wonder whether these contributions were any help? :bored:

Bluebeard777
21st Apr 2006, 21:32
Le Touquet has been upgraded to Class D airspace since I was last there, are they looking for transponders in visiting aircraft now?

maxtech
28th Apr 2006, 18:40
Le Touquet has been upgraded to Class D airspace since I was last there, are they looking for transponders in visiting aircraft now?
And, so I'm told, 24 hours prior notice. No more getting on a sunny Sunday and deciding to go to L2K for lunch.

IanSeager
28th Apr 2006, 21:18
And, so I'm told, 24 hours prior notice. No more getting on a sunny Sunday and deciding to go to L2K for lunch.

Don't believe everything you're told maxtech, it's 2 hours notice and you can email them/fill in a form on their website.

Ian

SwanFIS
29th Apr 2006, 10:14
Bluebeard
At the moment Le Touquet are permitting non SSR a/c into their airspace. There is a rumour that they will soon be getting radar, if that does happen then the rules of entry are likely to change.

dwshimoda
3rd May 2006, 14:49
JL,

If you haven't already made the trip, I found Nigel's advice very useful, not only from a flying point, but his choice of restaurants was quite good!

Le Touquet Trip (http://www.polestaraviation.com/?p=30)

aluminium persuader
3rd May 2006, 23:11
The only thing I would advise is that you work Manston Radar (assuming they're open) rather than London Info as you cross. If the worst happens they can plot your posn, which London Info can't - they have no radar.

Have fun!:)

bar shaker
4th May 2006, 07:03
I agree with AR. Priority for frequencies, for me, is Manston, Lydd, D&D, London Info, in that order.

Fly as high as you can and don't worry if you are not IFR, I have been across about 12 times in the last two years and have always had good VFR weather or have aborted to a better day.

Also, ring Le2K for a Metar before leaving.

Lucy, did you do it?

Juicy Lucy
9th May 2006, 15:49
My trip got cancelled, but I hope to go next week. I will give you all a full account of my exploits when I've finished. I will be flying from Nottingham to Lydd where I plan to refuel before crossing the channel. On the customs form do I put Nottingham to Le Touquet via Lydd or do I just put the Lydd to Le Touquet leg?

Thank you all for your kindness with the advice and links etc. I have been away and this has been the first chance for me to respond.

I am aiming to stay overnight and do lots of shopping when I get there.

Love

JL

xxx

PS Will I be able to get a notam fron NATS that includes Le Touquet or should I look elsewhere?

DeeCee
9th May 2006, 16:43
Hopefully the weather wil be better for you next week. Regarding the Customs form, it wants the points of exit and entry i.e. Lydd & LT. The Flight Plan needs the same info. It is required because you are crossing a border. You can file it the day before and activate it when you are leaving Lydd. have fun. DeeCee

Mark 1
9th May 2006, 17:39
I'm curious that you want to stop at Lydd, when its only another 15 minutes or so on to Le Touquet. You can always have Lydd as an alternate on your FPL in case of nasty X-channel weather.

If you registered for international use with NATS/AIS then it will provide all the international NOTAM for a route to France. If you didn't, then it means re-registering with another login, as they don't seem to allow an upgrade. Its a free service either way.

Juicy Lucy
9th May 2006, 20:35
Mark-1

I will stop at Lydd to a). go to the ladies room and b). to put go juice into my aeroplane.

Love Lucy

Aussie Andy
9th May 2006, 21:47
have always had good VFR weather or have aborted to a better dayAll I would add is to beware of hazy days where the fish-bowl effect can make the sea and sky merge = no horizon; this can be off-putting for low hrs PPL, even on the "short" crossing....

Having said that, don't be put off -- just be honest with yourself about the view ahead as you coast out. There is no shame in returning to Lydd :)

Andy :ok: