PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Typhoon deal nears completion

ORAC
20th Apr 2006, 05:44
The Times: Typhoon set for new deal of decade

BRITAIN appeared to have clinched a multibillion-pound deal yesterday to supply Typhoon fighter jets to Saudi Arabia.

With fears that the conflict in Iraq could spill over its borders and with recent sabre-rattling from Iran, Prince Saud al-Faisal, the Saudi Foreign Minister, said that a deal had been struck with Britain to modernise the Royal Saudi Air Force by upgrading existing British aircraft and purchasing the new Eurofighter Typhoon. “It is a deal that is a good deal for both countries,” he said. “We have reached a time when we have to renew our equipment.” He said that it was in the interests of the international community for Saudi Arabia to be able to defend its huge oil resources with the best equipment available.

The plan, which has taken months to negotiate, was discussed by Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, and Crown Prince Sultan, the Defence Minister, who is also considering a rival option to buy French fighter jets. British officials refused to reveal details until the agreement can be finalised, but it is understood that the Saudis are interested in an initial order of 24 Typhoons, as part of a package of 72 aircraft to be supplied in coming years. The agreement will be a huge boost to BAE Systems, which is part of the four-nation European consortium building the aircraft. No figure has been put on the deal, but Typhoons sell for about £50 million each. In this case the package will include training for Saudi fighter pilots in Britain and a huge technical support operation in Saudi Arabia to maintain and operate the aircraft. The final figure is likely to run to tens of billions of pounds. It will probably be the biggest defence deal since Margaret Thatcher clinched the multibillion al-Yamamah contract a little more than twenty years ago to supply Tornado jets and other aircraft to the Royal Saudi Air Force in what was then described as the deal of the decade. The Typhoon sale is part of a wider Saudi arms build-up, made possible by record high prices for crude oil and made necessary by deteriorating security in the region.

Prince Saud said: “The threat of the break-up of Iraq is going to create huge problems for countries in the region.”

Experts fear that a civil war in Iraq between the Shia and Sunni Muslim communities could drag in Iran on the side of its Shia brethren and Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Turkey on the side of the Sunni Arabs..... :uhoh:

foormort
20th Apr 2006, 06:26
What makes me laugh is the fact that the top brass still say the sale of Typhoon ac to the RSAF will not delay the formation of RAF sqns. Are the PNs going to increase the production rate to include these exports or are the saudis going to accept ac off the production line once destined for the RAF. How is the OCU going to be manned for the trg of RSAF pilots and RAF pilots? Surely something has got to give or is there that much spare capacity in both the production and trg of typhoon ac and aircrew.........

Jackonicko
20th Apr 2006, 10:53
1) I personally believe the reports that suggest that the deal was signed (pending further approval) on 28 March

2) I expect that 12 early Tranche 2 line positions for the RAF will now go to Saudi, delaying 12 RAF deliveries until later in Tranche 2. I expect that Warton will build 12 further Tranche 2 aircraft without impacting RAF production, and believe that all four PNs have a robust plan in place to allow a significant expansion in output. Beyond the initial 24 jets, I believe that there may be a number of production options.

3) I'm not sure that the delivery of airframes is a limiting factor for RAF Typhoon operations at the moment. I'd love to know. It may be that solving the spares/availability problems would be much more significant. It may be that delaying some deliveries until later Blocks (with more advanced capabilities) would actually be advantageous.

4) I believe that the way in which Case White generated flying hours (from a relatively tiny fleet) ought to allow Saudi training to progress without a major impact on RAF training, especially if initial Saudi Typhoon trainees are their more experienced F3 and F-15 operators.

saudipc-9
21st Apr 2006, 02:26
ought to allow Saudi training to progress without a major impact on RAF training, especially if initial Saudi Typhoon trainees are their more experienced F3 and F-15 operators.

Haaa Haaaa Haaaaaaa.... Jacko that's classic Haaaaa Haaaaa. I nearly wet myself reading that! Especially the part about "experienced" F3 and F-15 operators.

Having instructed in Saudi for 5 years, there might be some F3 or F-15 pilots who are very good at flying the odd pattern or two, but that's about it! Stand by for a major impact on RAF training.:p

mlc
21st Apr 2006, 17:08
I heard a USAF pilot say a similiar thing once. Are the Saudi pilots really that bad?

Dogfish
21st Apr 2006, 19:02
I seem to remember that when the RSAF got their Tonkas back in the 80's there was a major impact on deliveries to the RAF. We were short of spares, short of airframes and we seconded people out to the land of sand to help them get going. If you think that this deal will not affect Typoon introduction into the RAF then perhaps you would like to place a bid for Tower Bridge that I am currently selling on E-Bay.

BEagle
29th Jun 2006, 07:19
This looks very interesting:

'SFO seeks secret file on Saudi arms deal' By Christopher Hope, Industry Editor in the business section of today's Daily Telegraph.

ARINC
29th Jun 2006, 07:59
Don't get me started on this tin pot air force...

Watching an unnamed seriously large Prince waddle out to his F3....in response to a Q scramble.. APU running.(Gulf War 1) and then proceed to spend a good 15 mins strapping in. Only to then hot start, (according to him) spend another 15 mins chatting about it. Eventually get out for the spare, whilst his wing waited !!!

Airborne about an hour after walking...!!