PDA

View Full Version : 47 Sqn 90th Anniversary Celebrations

47 Sqn 90th
19th Apr 2006, 06:51
47 Squadron celebrated their 90th anniversary on 1 March 2006. There will be a series of events to mark the occasion at RAF Lyneham. Celebrations begin on Thursday 8th June, with the presentation of a new Squadron Standard. Friday 9th June will be a golf day, with a Squadron dinner in the evening. Saturday 10th June will be a families and friends day at the Squadron, with a BBQ, flypasts and static displays. All present and former 47 Squadron members and their families are invited.
Contact Flt Lt Frazer on 01249 896590, or by email at [email protected]

Jackonicko
19th Apr 2006, 09:17
90! Crikey! Sincere and Warm Congratulations to Lyneham's finest.

Dengue_Dude
19th Apr 2006, 18:28
Best flying I have ever enjoyed whilst on 47!

Have a great time.

Do they still sport a tame American?

DD

US Herk
19th Apr 2006, 19:16
Do they still sport a tame American?

Aye, two of them (three if you count the engineering exchange!):ok:

Dengue_Dude
20th Apr 2006, 11:47
On 47, doing 3 ship LPAC (Dogsbody callsign) and running into low mist and rain over Exmoor was (in a tall Texan slow drawl):

'Dogsbody doglegging in dog****'

Who says our 'colonial cousins' don't have a way with words! 20 years ago plus and like it was yesterday.

Magnificent :-)

shaky
20th Apr 2006, 17:23
In my time the American exchange was Major JJS and his immortal contribution, halfway through a Westabout, was;"I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired."

47 Sqn 90th
21st Apr 2006, 10:39
The only time we fly west now is coming back from Akrotiri or beyond!

chappie
22nd Apr 2006, 11:41
please allow me to offer my warmest congratulations on this acheivement of reaching 90 years.

i understand that the family day celebrations are extended to members old and new as such and their families. i wonder if you can help. my brother bob o'connor was a member of your squadron until the 30th jan 05 when he and nine others were shot down in iraq. last year i attended the family day with the steads. i had the priviledge of being able to fly in a hercules which was one of the most amazing yet bittersweet experiences i have had. my parents were too upset to come but i was wondering if there was a chance of being able to bring them down and they get taken up in a hercules on the day? i'm not sure if this is allowed as obviously we won't know anyone in the squadron and as bob is no longer here he can't come even as an ex member! please feel free to say no if it's not appropriate/allowed as we have not heard from anyone in the squadron we are not sure if this invitation would be made.

please feel free to PM me to let me know. thankyou for your time.

Dengue_Dude
22nd Apr 2006, 21:00
If there's any justice in the world, 47 would be honoured to acquiesce to this request - it's just possible it might not be up to them though.
It would of course be a PR gaffe of extravagant proportions if it were not viewed with sensitivity.
It might serve your request well if any further approaches were done privately however, try using the email provided at the top of the page initially.
Good luck
DD

chappie
22nd Apr 2006, 23:00
i'm sorry.
thankyou for the tip. i was being a bit thick really. i guess it made sense but i wanted to do it for my parents and i did'nt know who to ask. we haven't had any contact from the sqn and we don't have an assisiting officer now as he has retired.

Talk Wrench
22nd Apr 2006, 23:24
Chappie, you have PM

TW

47 Sqn 90th
4th May 2006, 11:20
It is just over a month to go till 47 Sqn celebrates its 90th. If you are wishing to come to the 90th Dinner, you need to be aware that there is a deadline for replies, 8 May. Contact details are at the top of this thread.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
4th May 2006, 17:10
47 Sqn 90th Anniversary Framed Prints will be on sale, priced probably around £25.00 ea, maybe a bit less, depending on advance orders!

They show the new Sqn Colour and previous aircraft flown by 47.

Limited amounts available on the day.

PM me if you want one reserved.

(The curved frame effect in the photo below is 'cos of my camera)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/SirPeterHardingsLovechild/47Sqn90th.jpg

# 847 on the Squadron Prints website

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/SirPeterHardingsLovechild/SqnPrint847XV206.jpg

Book Early :ok: Bring cash or chequebook!

47 Sqn 90th
12th May 2006, 12:49
Previous to my last thread, the deadline for the dinner has now been extended to 23 May 06. So still time to get your applications in!

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
25th May 2006, 15:12
I suppose those 90th Anniversary prints are now collectors items!

flipster
25th May 2006, 15:37
Spooky - 179 was the last one depicted - now 206!

Let's not get any more sqn prints done, eh.:sad: :(

Jambo Jet
25th May 2006, 15:59
What was the print prior to 179?

ExHerkmate
26th May 2006, 02:44
Sorry that RRR and I won't be able to make it, but we wish y'all well from sunny Pinehurst, NC.

Fond memories of friends on 47 and still the best flying I ever did.

Exherkmate

flipster
26th May 2006, 02:52
JJ

I think it was a generic Lyneham one, with.....wait, you've guessed it - 206!

47 Sqn 90th
14th Jun 2006, 12:09
I would like to pass on my thanks to all those who supported or helped the 47 Sqn 90th. The three days of celebrations were wonderful, as was the weather. The committees work load was greatly reduced by the willingness of people to help out at any time. Thank you.

47 Sqn 90th Project Officer
:D