PDA

View Full Version : bird slaughter at WAW on Apr 16th

mnez
19th Apr 2006, 03:57
hi, I am a modest pax from a far country; just wanted to report that BA flight WAW-LHR last Sunday had interrupted takeoff when a bird hit Airbus' engine; plane taxied back on one engine and replacement plane flew from LHR to pickup pax. No injuries, all tyres burnt.
-------
Peace and respect to all good people here at pprune.

wobble2plank
19th Apr 2006, 11:19
Plane hit two birds, seagulls down the no.2 engine, full RTO at 120Kts plus with no incident. Brakes hot probably but no tyres blown or burnt from what I heard. There weren't many pax and the next scheduled flight took 'em to Heathrow. Aircraft was repaired overnight and flown back the following morning.

mnez
20th Apr 2006, 10:58
thank you! good to know that from (almost) source.
facts tends to be seriously modified during communicating; this is so human.

Bearcat
20th Apr 2006, 13:13
did the eng fail? airbus dont recommned rto's after 100kts unless it v v v serious.

lomapaseo
20th Apr 2006, 13:52
did the eng fail? airbus dont recommned rto's after 100kts unless it v v v serious.

It would be quite probable that two seagulls down the engine would produce symptoms like a surge that would make the pilot think an engine had failed and then to use his judgement at 120kts whether to abort.

wobble2plank
20th Apr 2006, 16:12
Quite true, Airbus SOP's need two indications, one of which is internal.

From what I've heard the birds were seen, a thump was heard and then the engine note changed dramatically and the RTO was called.

Two N1 fan blades were found to be bent forward by the impact more than 5 cm at the tips. Instant reject by airbus. Probably would have required a circuit to land if taken airborne due to vibration.

SOP's can't cover all eventualities, sounds like a good call from the front seat.

backseatjock
21st Apr 2006, 23:02
At least WAW, like so many other central and eastern european fields has a long, long runway! Good job again by the BA crew and how many times have people said that when the going gets tough!