PDA

View Full Version : Pilot training scandal!

dllcooper
18th Apr 2006, 19:24
Wanted to get something off my chest - It seems to me that the whole setup of airplines requiring pilots and the way traning is setup, to be scandalous

There is no other industry which operates in the same manner wih a seeming distain for its new blood.

A non military pilot is expected to train himsefl, put life on hold for upto 3 years, pay sums of money which are extortianate. The airlines then might offer you a job, only if you then type rate yourself and then work as an instructor (or similar) for years possibly.

After all of this, you might be LUCKY and get a job on what seems to be poor Terms and conditions and then you are investing your future career in an industry which relies on fossil fuels which in even the best estimates might sustain you to retirement.

It requires a brave heart to undergo the process doesnt it?

MrHorgy
18th Apr 2006, 19:28
As depressing as it is, that's what it's come to yes.

A word of warning this has been hashed over MANY a time on pprune - cue a320rider :E

Horgy

mcgoo
18th Apr 2006, 19:31
what about doctors? don't they spend about 6 years in school, self funded, then start out working 18hour shifts etc.

helicopter-redeye
18th Apr 2006, 19:36
The horrible reality is that its prevalant in many parts of industry and going to get worse (think accountants, lawyers, etc working on low pay on the promise of being made a partner in the year 3099; Docs hoping to make it into the RCS; Studes generally with student loans; MBAs - 2 yrs no earnings and a £60K course; etc; etc).

At least we get a view from a corner office ....

h-r;)

femaleWannabe
18th Apr 2006, 19:37
yes, it sucks... but as long as there are plenty of us paying for it out of our own pockets, there will be no shortage of pilots so airlines won't start forking out any cash... I don't see this changing anytime soon so I guess we just have to live with it :\

captwannabe
18th Apr 2006, 19:48
As long as people are paying €100k for training and around €30k for a type rating, why would an airline pay anything?

They will have to sort out the fossil fuels problem. I'll be at retirement age by the time they run out though! :)

Am I worried about the risks? - YES
Can I do anything about it? - NO
Do I want a desk job? - NO
Will I train to be a pilot? - YES!!!

:sad:

wbryce
18th Apr 2006, 21:29
There is no other industry which operates in the same manner wih a seeming distain for its new blood.

Thats right but we do this for the love of flying! not many people can stay in their profession for 40 plus years and still go home with a smile on there face.

A non military pilot is expected to train himself, put life on hold for upto 3 years, pay sums of money which are extortianate. The airlines then might offer you a job, only if you then type rate yourself and then work as an instructor (or similar) for years possibly.

The same thinking can be applied to University! No one sees Uni graduates putting their lifes on hold and no one questions the amount of money it takes to do a respectable course either? Compare a Uni course to an average 45k fATPL modular course and the figures may be closer than you would imagine.

45k Is a large amount of money if you need to pay it all in one large sum but fortunately for us poor buggers we can pay as you go and enjoy the experience. Why be inpatient? Get a job and pay monthly for PPL lessons then hour building while doing a DL ATPL course! put some cash away and take out a bank loan for the same amount as your average sun glass wearing salesmen driving his bright yellow sports convertible and presto one fATPL owner.

After all of this, you might be LUCKY and get a job on what seems to be poor Terms and conditions and then you are investing your future career in an industry which relies on fossil fuels which in even the best estimates might sustain you to retirement.

Same in all walks of life! Every industry faces poor terms and conditions as companies / professions try and squeeze every penny possible! What are we comparing the poor T n C's too? the glamourous days of being an airline pilot? Regardless its still a good pay compared to most professions (except doctors after watching this mornings news!!) and its probably one of the most enjoyable professions. Plenty of fossil fuels left to last our life time, let our kids worry about that! :)

These are all my opinions of course! It would be a boring world if we shared the same views.

chrisbl
19th Apr 2006, 18:56
Thats the privilege of being a professional.

When I started accountancy training, a lad I was working with was one of the last where his Dad paid the partner to train him.

All professions work out the same. Expensive training, low wages and the odd one or two make it to the top and do very nicely.

Perhaps if pilots were considered like bus drivers things might be different.

trainer too 2
19th Apr 2006, 19:36
Well well mr looper next you will start your flightschool first, change the industry.. and then start your own airline...:rolleyes: