PDA

View Full Version : Medical and problem

wannaflywithme
18th Apr 2006, 18:57
Hi There, I am currently learning to fly and hope to get my PPL very soon. I have a couple of medical questions for you, as far as I understand the old medical exam has been replaced by a form that is signed by the GP on the understanding that a Doctor that knows your full medical history rathert than somebody seeing you for only a little while could be a better judge.

I have just returned to the UK so dont have a medical history here with a regular doctor so I really need to get the old fashioned medical.

Is this understanding of the current situation correct?
Also, I have an undescended testicle which has been a problem since birth, advice from Doc is to leave it alone after having various scans etc. Is this likely to be an issue for the medical exam - do they even check? Also, thinking ahead for a commercial licence whats the situation there.

Thanks

Baron Von Mildred
19th Apr 2006, 21:46
The medical you are referring to is for the NPPL (National PPL) only. If you intend to work towards a CPL/ATPL you would be well advised to get a JAR PPL & medical & get the Class 1 medical before you fork out loads of money on training. This will require a trip to the CAA for the initial one. I'm not a doc, but I don't recall reading anything about your problem being an isssue. Most things are to do with whether you will be able to do your job safely, eyes, ears, heart, lungs, brain etc.

effortless
19th Apr 2006, 22:00
I wouldn't worry about it. Half the pilots I know are un-descended testicles. That's why they need the big watches, the big cars, oh you get the picture.:}