PDA

View Full Version : BigFlesh - Persona non grata

KiwiPassenger
18th Apr 2006, 15:54
As one very new to this extremely interesting site, may I say it is always interesting as an outsider to see professionals, in any profession, discussing their areas of expertise, particularly at the interface with laymen, as happens on this site.

First - the admission. From my handle you'll gather that I both hail from Enzed and also that I am not a pilot. I am, however, one of the more frequent flyers you guys (and ladies) would encounter, especially on intra-Asia and Asia-Europe routes. I therefore have a vested interest in the high levels of professionalism shown in the airline industry!!

Now a small gripe. Two of the threads I visited today were written by someone showing dubious literacy skills and a seemingly naive enthusiasm for plane-spotting. The handle used was BigFlesh2005. The first thread concerned him thinking he had spotted a large transporter aircraft at 60,000ft (sic) bove his home in Sheffield. This prompted much discussion (friendly / chiding advice that 60,000ft was unlikely to say the least; discussion on what sort of transporter it could be etc etc). As with many threads, it took on a life of its own, with responders feeding off each other, posting photos of large aircraft, and so on.

Then someone spotted that earlier posts by the same user were written clearly - no spelling / grammatical mistakes, and by someone seemingly with a much greater knowledge of aircraft. That person suggested the whole thing was a wind-up.

After more evidence of earlier posts was provided, BigFlesh confessed to being the son of the user, and this was accompanied by an apology from Dad. The site moderator responded that time wasting was not appreciated and BigFlesh has been terminated.

This appears to me to be heavy-handed. My first guess at the top of the thread was that the poster was young (not just the spelling, but also the tone and atttitude of the writer and his/her enthusiasm). It is possible, of course, that we see evidence of a learning difficulty as well (dyslexia?). I hasten to emphasise I don't know these people - I'm based in HK after all.

But in the rush to enthusiastically respond (and even compete with each other) it took a little time before someone said, "Hang on!". Then BigFlesh was accused of time wasting - perhaps, but everyone seemed to be enjoying responding with competing theories - and he was banned.

You may accuse me of naively accepting the "Dad's" explanation. But why would someone conduct a wind-up using their own account when it had previously been used to post seemingly sensible questions and comments?

Hope this mild criticism doesn't see me tarred and feathered as well....

Regards

KiwiPassenger

PS: I can't find the spell-checker yet, but hopefully I won't require it too frequently!

Rainboe
18th Apr 2006, 18:33
The reply by the father was not 'sorry folks, it were ma laddie- I do apologise!', but rather to complain that some people had noted the peculiarity and register a positive complaint against the board! I agree quite rightly the whole thing was terminated forthwith whilst Bigflesh sorts himself out his own identity and then he will be welcome to involve himself with a proper handle of his own. It is important to clearly identify whether you are the respondent you say you are.

PPRuNe Pop
18th Apr 2006, 20:19
Quite so!!

KP, you are aggrieved but a couple of hints suggest you still may not be who you say you are. I only addressed the matter of the spellchecker to BigFlesh! Get my point?

However, we mods have a heavy workload all over the site. We have little time for idiots and those who deliberately set about winding us and the readers up. We will take instant action against those who do so. It happened as you saw.

That said, you should have realised by now that PPRuNe is a place for like minded folk to enjoy the whole aviation scene. Spotters and professionals alike are treated properly and with as much help as can be given. We also help but the flavour of PPRuNe is with the immense talent that exists here - from spotters to the Flight Deck. All are welcome. But NOT the stupid and the idiots who think we are fair game for their silly pranks and nonsense. We sometimes warn them, but we do ban them instantly also.

Hope that clears matters up for you. So enjoy PPRuNe but never abuse it is the safest way.

PPP

BOAC
18th Apr 2006, 20:54
Kiwi and all - I would like to add my total support for PPRune Pop here in his actions in closing the thread, and to say that this sort of situation is always a difficult and not infrequent call. The 'father' did actually 'apologise' in his closing post, but we are faced here with a son apparently using his father's account - which is wrong, and caused confusion; albeit there may be some problem for the son in using a keyboard, in which case I, and I know well that PPRUne Pop also, have/has every sympathy.

It is encumbent on all users to ensure that their log-in is used only for personal use, and in this respect alone the thread needed to be closed. There is also the possibility that 'mischief' was being perpetrated.

There is nothing to prevent a new log-in as posted.

My first guess at the top of the thread - Kiwi - you are indeed welcome as a first-poster and your question is fine, but after a while in the portals of PPRune you will discover that not everything is as it seems.:)

You may also wish to note that the parallel thread from the same person has not been closed, and to PPP's suggestion of using a spell-checker I would add - "speak to your dad first!"

KiwiPassenger
19th Apr 2006, 03:01
All

That's fine - am happy enough with that response, I guess. Certainly agree that everyone should keep their logins safe from interference!

Just one point - to quote from PPrunePop:

"KP, you are aggrieved but a couple of hints suggest you still may not be who you say you are. I only addressed the matter of the spellchecker to BigFlesh! Get my point?"

I am slightly aggrieved at this suggestion - the spellchecker point is mentioned elsewhere. In the parallel thread there were several people who complained about BigFlesh [son?]'s spelling making it hard to understand his meaning and people suggested he use the spellchecker. These are on public view, so anyone can see that the suggestion was made. Also, in his first post on the thread that led to him being labelled Persona Non Grata, BigFlesh mentioned switching on the spellchecker (although he clearly cannot have done so!).

So, as I sit here in my office in Central Hong Kong looking at at what is, for Hong Kong anyway, a comparatively clear day (there's even some blue sky above - I might be able to see the odd CX flight leaving HK if the flight path's over the Island today!), I resent any aspersions that I am not who I say I am!

Enough on this topic perhaps....

Regards

KiwiPassenger

mcgoo
19th Apr 2006, 16:46
what do you expect? a join date of this month!, 2 posts and already a complaint, a feeling of resent and being aggrieved!

KiwiPassenger
20th Apr 2006, 15:19
Hey - have not felt anywhere near qualified to post anything in all the time have been reading posts on this site (despite this being over a significant period). I then see something (not technically related) which I feel strongly about, relating potentially to learning disabilities.

I make what I hoped to be a constructive criticism, expecting some negatibe reaction - which of course I received. That's fine - but I didn't expect someone criticising my bona fides!! Is surely fair to then defend myself.

Cheers

KP

mcgoo
20th Apr 2006, 16:55
thats fine but you can see where I am coming from, the day you joined you complain about some relatively old posts, what I mean is surely you can see the mods point about it being suspicious, that you have just joined and a post like that could be seen that bigflesh has rejoined under a new username, it does happen!

regards

mcgoo

BOAC
20th Apr 2006, 17:19
Guys and girls - may I drop a hint that it is time for this thread to fade away? Everyone has made their respective points, and it is not really progressing anywhere.

It would be nice if all concerned left it at that, as the only other options are for us to close it - or delete it.

PPRuNe Pop
20th Apr 2006, 17:21
On that note I am closing this thread.

KP, if you wish to make contributions to PPRuNe feel free but you take us as you find us. Your call.

PPP