PDA

View Full Version : NZ Multi Job

aardvark_ns
17th Apr 2006, 21:30
I see Air Discovery are advertising a multi job on their website. I havnt heard of them before? Can anyone tell me anything about them?
:}

Kermit 180
17th Apr 2006, 21:36
http://www.airdiscovery.co.nz/Default.asp

aardvark_ns
19th Apr 2006, 00:19
I've read their website. But does anyone know anything about them? What is the pay like? How much flying? Is it all ATO?

Speeds high
19th Apr 2006, 07:12
What is the pay like?

hehe Snigger, Snigger :E

Cloud Cutter
20th Apr 2006, 10:18
Their pay is like that of most similar operators: minimal to non-existant. Aside from that it is a reasonably well managed operation which, if approached cautiously, and with the right attitude, may further you career.

flaming_moe
20th Apr 2006, 10:24
Non - existant is pretty accurate....$20 per flying hour before tax, pilots average 40 hours a month, and are expected in the office 5 days 8.30 to 5.

Sqwark2000
20th Apr 2006, 22:43
$20 per flying hour before tax, pilots average 40 hours a month, and are expected in the office 5 days 8.30 to 5.

Thats if you fly the Single engine scenics out to White Island, I think the pay for the Herald run (NZRO-NZGS on PA34 II) is still $25/day. Start 3 or 4am finish about 10 or 11am. The company is based in Whakatane, where office work is required but the Herald run starts in NZRO where the plane is based, so you'll have to get up earlier, drive 45mins-1hr to RO, fly your 2 sector day then drive yourself back to Whakatane for the grand sum of $25. Don't forget to take tax out of that when you are working out if you can afford to live like that.

With today's petrol prices you will be paying about $7-8/day out of you own pocket to fly for them on the Herald run.

Good Luck!

S2K

Waka Rider
21st Apr 2006, 11:17
aardvak bro

You do something like the paper run for a year or so bro and then move on. Before you know it your sitting in a global airline married to a kick arse looking 6ft blonde having gone throught the girls like a dose of the trots wondering how did this happen. Enjoy the office work with a smile it keeps you positive. The beaches, hunting etc is great if you can the Mount up the road is awesome as well.

Mr Proachpoint
23rd Apr 2006, 09:56
Waka sums it up completely. Do it for a year or so and move on. Sure the pay is horrific but you won't be retiring on it. Be sensible, be safe, don't kill anyone and a year or so of SP multi will have you set up to jump into the next bigger and better machine. Where the money is concerned, be brave and as long as there is a beer in the fridge when you get home, roots, berries and flax leaves taste great.

MAPt

Cloud Cutter
23rd Apr 2006, 20:33
S2K

All true, except for the tax on the $25 transport allowance. They now have some pilots based in RO.

In terms of working out whether you can afford to live, let me save your calculator some work...... you can't (unless you've got savings to dig into).

Essentially, I agree with the above two posts. The key is definitely to stay positive.

pakeha-boy
23rd Apr 2006, 22:14
Waka mate..thats the attitude!!!!!!...pig hunting in tikitik tomorrow,

turbolager
24th Apr 2006, 05:18
and so the whorish cycle of NZ GA continues, like a giant drum of lube passed from one shaftee down to the next. Why not suggest he pays them for the time building? :rolleyes:

I hope some of you lot feel proud of the scabby legacy you've left behind for the next guy.

Aardvark mate, hopefully you'll have the nuts to tell them to stick it, and find somewhere that values you at least enough to provide food, rent and the odd slab. :ok:

Waka Rider
24th Apr 2006, 07:07
PB have a good hunt ow. Your not missing much at the mo just had 1 hour delay out of JFK and then was one of fifty waiting out of Newark and two nights ago got to whatch some poor bugger doing two go arounds of 13L JFK never seen someone throw an A320 round so tightly. Just think bro would not have had the pleasure of doing this had I not droned up and down the North Island seeing that the mail getthrough in a seneca or aztec,only had to do it for two years many others before me had longer. Sounds like the fellas have lube now to smooth the flow I just got shafted up the arse. But the dole covered the rent and mobile gota KFC family pack a day for a feed and whenever I could chase some pigs or if feeling a little flash some deer it was great tucker. Two years many pigs of all kinds 800hrs in the book and a XD ute all great times.

pakeha-boy
24th Apr 2006, 15:46
turbolager...be careful who you call a scab!!!!never have,never will....dont really want to get into a slagging match with you....the industry is what it is,....pilots,mgt,econmics,markets,and a whole list of others have contributed to the the demise of this industry.....

To blame a narrow band within the aviation community is misplaced.......look at your history,Kiwi Aviation has never been anything else but what it is today,it is a reflection of the people in it.....(people like yourself)

The conditions when I flew out of hokitika in 78 are no different than they are now,and I had the same attitude as you , and blamed the buggars before me for my condtions....take the blinders off son,....

Waka mate....glad you liked the acrobatic display....JFK has its moments mate.....the bro got a 140lber this morning,....nice looking barrow,will make for some good roasts,....dough boys and water cress for smoko...PB

Cloud Cutter
24th Apr 2006, 19:47
aardvark

If you're still considering, let me sum up. When I took a job at a similar operator in the hopes of building multi time, there were many pilots (most with more than triple my hours) that said they would never do it. I was in the job for 8 months, scraping by on the bones of my arse, but the experience overall was a positive one, and gave me the flying experience I needed to get a regional gig. Now, over 2 years on, many of those people who were once ahead of me, are still chugging round in singles.

I don't think any less of them for taking a different route, but the goal for me was not to give myself an easy ride, but to get there as fast as possible. So it really depends on what sort of person you are, and what goals you have. If you want an airline job yesterday, you really can't afford to pass up an opportunity to get that valuable multi time.

Waka Rider
24th Apr 2006, 21:49
Sweet with the 140lb'er PB. Me last was a 120lb and the little bugger ran like Ben Johnson. It seems they run faster now or am I getting older. He went round in little circles nicely at the Speights Ale house in Auckland although his back got a little warm ow. Enjoy home. Got a wait till Sept

turbolager
24th Apr 2006, 22:34
PB, no slag match required :) I'm not calling anyone here anything, I dont know anyone for real behind the prune name. Sorry if anyone took offense at my post. But I can see the path some (not yours) of the advice here is leading the guy down. Here we have a thread that starts with (presumably) a low hour guy asking about GA operator X, and within days (I presume) kero burning guys who have basically 'made it' are suggesting the fella "do it for free, you'll get to the airlines faster than your mates who expect to be paid". Now if that isn't promotion of a scabby and self destructive work ethic I dont know what is.

Aardvark, something you should now. There are plenty of low hour pilots in NZ GA who find their first job and get paid for it, enough not to worry about rent food and beer. There are also plenty of operators in Australia and NZ who, when confronted with a scab on the phone offering to work for free, will tell them to F off. Thank goodness, otherwise nobody in GA would ever be paid.

Cloud Cutter
25th Apr 2006, 04:56
No one is suggesting he 'do it for free'. $20 per hour is about the going rate for GA charter in NZ, some get significanly less.

turbolager
25th Apr 2006, 09:06
CC, the multi job aardvark asked about, according to S2K, pays $25 per day not $20 per hour. It doesn't matter how you dress it up - If you drive for hours to get one hour of block time that pays $25, then guess what, you're a paying customer not an employee. I dont know any of the facts about this particular operator so I'll bow out of the discussion now before I tread on more toes. My own advice to Aardvark remains the same - expect to be paid. Politely of course :ok:

aardvark_ns
25th Apr 2006, 21:08
Thanks for your advice everyone. I spoke with the owner at Air Disco and the job is Rotorua based (so I dont have to pay to get to work) and around $22-$25 per hour for most of the flying. So not as bad as you were saying...but...you need a B-Cat. :{ Something I dont have.

And frankly I would work for half that if it got me multi time so i get move on and get a 'real' job.

Purple_Martin
25th Apr 2006, 23:13
Their Website is advertising for a CFI - that will be why you need a B-Cat.

Sounds to me like the company will put you straight onto the twin in return for you being their CFI - With no extra pay for the responsibility.

Pretty good scheme if you wanna get some multi hours quick I say!
BTW I believe that you're expected to pay for your training and your 135 check in the twin?? Can anyone confirm? Could be expensive If you don't have a current SP MEIFR or seneca rating!

Cloud Cutter
26th Apr 2006, 01:58
turbolager

No, that was $25 for the paper run. It's not a full day's work, and most pilots do a mixture of scenics and the paper run.

aardvark_ns
28th Apr 2006, 23:20
i can either be bonded or pay for the training myself and have no bond.

Waka Rider
29th Apr 2006, 05:22
How long would u be bonded for? Its a great feeling when someone else pays for your training. Company is also less likely to dump you on the street if they have a vested interest in you.