PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Ground School

tinmouse
22nd Sep 2005, 20:22
I'm trying to get Bristol Ground school on the web ; http://www.bristol.gs/

But I get a logon screen for BRITISH AIRWAYS CITIEXRESS? Anyone any ideas?

Alex Whittingham
22nd Sep 2005, 21:25
Oh dear. We also provide training for airlines under the aegis of IDC Ltd. Our server in Cheltenham hosts a number of training programs including this one which is an online training package for BA which provides recurrency training on the EMB 145, the RJ100 and some minor stuff like Dangerous Goods and Low Vis Procedures. It looks like someone has blundered. I'll fix it in the morning. Until then, apologies.

helicopter-redeye
23rd Sep 2005, 07:12
I had the same prob last night but you can get to the Q Bank via the link http://213.48.96.23/atponline/jalo/index.asp

I just assumed it was part of a takeover of the world by BA Citilink ..:}

NB, note to editor. The Q Bank has also changed since Sunday when I last used it and some of the questions now DO NOT WORK (ie they do not have answers attached anymore ....)

The future of JAR questions perhaps ?:p

Alex Whittingham
23rd Sep 2005, 07:18
It's undoubtably all connected!

helicopter-redeye
24th Sep 2005, 20:33
Good to see POF(H) on the ATPL(H) questions roster now (just in time..)

h-r:)

Martin1234
11th Nov 2005, 19:46
As it changes all of the time can someone that within the last few months took any or all of the exams below, report the resemblance of the UK CAA exams and the corresponding feedback questions found on the Bristol ATP Online?

ATPL
instrumentation (A)
flight planning (A)
meteorology (A)
airframes and systems (H) (interim arrangement)
principles of flight (H) (interim arrangement)

It's very subjective but everything that will give me a clue of the relevance of the feedback questions is appreciated.

helicopter-redeye
12th Nov 2005, 08:06
I've done the (H) so, here we go.

instrumentation (A) - 95% similiar (but not 100% of Q on the BGS database of course ...). Very close match because its (A)

flight planning (A) - 90% similiar (but not all Q in the db of course). Like gen nav the questions contain 'do X activity' so less easy to be familiar from feedback.

meteorology (A) - uncertain because I did not use BGS Qbank for phase 1

airframes and systems (H) (interim arrangement) - 55% similiar/ one of the least (but the questions stay the same from one exam to the next pretty much becaus ebased on National exams. The feedback I had from GTS was pretty much THE exam looking back. At the time I'd wished I'd read more of the feedback rather than learning the material as it would have saved a few tens of hours but there we go)

principles of flight (H) (interim arrangement) - 70% similiar. This appeared to get an upgrade about 10 weeks ago (3 weeks before the exam - yippee) so was quite close and had a lot of familiarity in the questions, but how many ways can you skin a cat .. (or have tail rotor roll)

Hope that helps

h-r :)

Charlie Zulu
12th Nov 2005, 09:31
Meteorology

I would say it is pretty good for this subject. Although they are constantly adding and removing quetions to the JAA question bank so back in August I think I had seen around 60% of "similar but not quite the same" questions.

However Bristol's feedback they dish out to students at the brush up course is far superior for Meteorology than the online question bank.

The Bristol feedback that I borrowed from a friend helped me obtain not only a pass in the exams that I took but also obtain all of my marks in the mid to high 90's.

Wish I had used Bristol for the course now... ah well in hindsight and all that!

SuperAviator
12th Nov 2005, 13:37
Hi Martin1234

Providing you put the book work in aswell, for an extra £50.00 you can have peace of mind.

I just sat principles of flight (H) @ the beginning of this month. Of the 44 questions on the paper, I only had a problem with 4 of them. One of the questions that was giving me jip was from BGS feedback. However, exam pressure got the better of me & I opted for the incorrect answer. This happened to be quite valuable being 2 marks for that particular question.

In the case of the other twelve exams I have taken previously, I used what is refered to as "volari" or italian feedback. Again spot on.

For what it's worth (BGS/£50.00). It is a valuable bit of kit. I found that I could condense a whole paragraph of a subject into one simple Q+A @ times, & understand it.

Also, I found that BGS is the only place where I could get accurate(JAA style Q's) feedback on the subject of POF(H). @ the time I was studying they had 358 questions. The database grows everytime an exam is sat.

Anyway, enough said with ATPL exams. I'm mission accomplished on that side of things now.

Good luck & get your head down.

SuperAviator...

hixton
13th Nov 2005, 21:04
Does that mean that even if you pay for the online bank it is not as good as the bristol feedback you get off them and possibly not up to date?
If so does anyone know who actually keeps their database up to date with new seen questions?

papluca
14th Nov 2005, 06:24
if wouldnt have been for bristol feedback, would never have passed the exams,high 90s,
funny world, I pay a different school a lot of money and then pass thanks to other school(for free)............
but old school still take credit for my passes............

why not go to the better school in the first place?

armstrong
2nd Jan 2006, 21:27
I am looking to start the distance learning course sometime in the next few months, I would be grateful of any feedback that people have in regard the CBT. Is it possible to study for the ATPL just using the computer programs?

Many Thanks :)

BillieBob
2nd Jan 2006, 22:18
"Is it possible to study for the ATPL just using the computer programs?"

No, there is a mandatory classroom element to the approved theoretical knowledge course.

G-SP0T
2nd Jan 2006, 22:45
if your asking if u need to open the books to study or if u can study directly of the cd...the answer is - to be honest, only u can ans this!!! it depends on the best way u learn. I read the notes of the cd, highlighted the book then read through the book and made my own notes.

to confirm, the brushup is a must. this is a massive plus on the course, its very focused and hard work but u will be better for it.

bgs are a great school, best of luck wat ever u do

armstrong
3rd Jan 2006, 19:43
Thanks for the response. I just wanted to know if it was possible to study for the course solely using the CD’s without the help of the text, ie is there a complete ATPL course on the CD’s, which it appears there is.

Thanks again

Tallbloke
3rd Jan 2006, 20:48
The CD version is exactly the same as the book version apart from the CD version does not include any margin notes. In my opinion this is a serious omission, quite often the text reflects what the CAA want you to be taught, and the margin notes tell you what you need to know, either by filtering out the extraneous or by emphasising particular bits. I can think of one particular bit of Ops Procedures in which the text said something like "we have repeated the regs in full because that is how the questions may be worded, explanations are given in the margins". I was away at the time and so ended up doing something else until I could get to see my books again because it was mostly gibberish.

Malc
3rd Jan 2006, 20:52
What the CBT lacks in margin notes, it makes up for in animations etc...which really helps when you have been struggling with the written text trying to understand something, then kick yourself for being so stupid when the animation makes it so blindingly obvious.

I found using the CBT as the initial training source, then the manuals for revision, worked well for me.

As someone else has commented, the groundschool is superb. Hard work, but well worthwhile.

SWE-ATP
8th Feb 2006, 18:32
Hi!

I`m thinking of getting the JAA questionbank for my ATP exams.
I have heard both Bristol and Exam 8.0 is good.

Anyone who knows the difference between these two?
Or is there no difference at all?

regards
/A

elmange
9th Feb 2006, 08:25
Hello there ATPL student.

I used Bristol and recognized almost every question at the test when writing for the swedish luftfartsstyrelsen. I have heard great stuff about Exam too, but why choose the one more expensive when the cheap one is working just fine? Spend your money on a nice Ray Ban instead! :cool:

learboys
13th Feb 2006, 11:09
They are Brilliant, well owrth it

learboys
13th Feb 2006, 11:10
Correction, well worth it best 50 pounds spent

elmange
13th Feb 2006, 19:19
I really think you skould read all the books once or twice again instead of cheating with the exam questions. I read all the books three times and didn't touch the questions. It's more honest to read the books, man.

///Magnus

BritishGuy
17th Feb 2006, 16:15
"It's more honest to read the books.......?" - Is this guy for real?? Does the CAA/JAA - whoever really care if you're 'honest' about studying and not doing the feedback for the exams......I don't think so. They're not as honest when charging an arm and a leg for the exams (but thats besides the point). Without taking a personal dig at you - I think we know exactly how 'honest' YOU, I or ANYONE ELSE on this (or any other forum) will be when doing the exams. Bottom line - everyone will do whatever they can to get away with as much as they can - if if using feedback is 'getting away with it' then my naive friend good luck to you.

Now if you're talking about understanding the matter - then that's a different story.

RoosterBooster
28th Feb 2006, 09:47
Guys,

Heard a WILJAM are doing an online QB like the Bristol GS one. Has anyone had any experience with it or can recommend it. A comparison with the Bristol version would be nice.

Cheers guys.

RB

fatboyslimfast
28th Feb 2006, 11:15
HI

I used Wiljam for a resit, costs about a fiver a month, and in my p of f resit, i had seen all the questions before on Wiljam. I didnt register at bristol cos of the cost, about 50 quid i think. If you want a comparison i would say you get what you pay for.

All you get with with wiljam is access to an atpl questionbank, but woulld say having flicked through the other subjects the question bank covergage was excellent, but so is bristols. Wiljams questions are all in PDF format.

I have been told though, that with the fee to bristol, you also get access to a forum where you can post questions answers etc, so in that respect bristol is much better, because with wiljam your on your own. (but is is only a fiver or six quid a month)

I did read after i posted on another thread though, that WILJAM is no longer running, but i dont know. If if is still running though and you intend to use for a few months, i would pay the extra to bristol just to get access to the forum because you wont save that much going to wiljam.

ColeTrickle
1st Mar 2006, 06:13
...with Bristol you have access to their forum WITHOUT paying for the feedback database.

Since a lot of topics there are posted with full quoting of the question, it will help you A LOT...

Otherwise, the database is exellent there, almost all heavy questions have notes helping you with the solution.

They made me pass my ATPL exam in germany, worst 90%, best 100%.

Definitley worth the money.

Regards

Cole

Hoop
28th Mar 2006, 13:35
I'm about 30 hours into my ppl and trying to decide where to study for my atpls, Bristol GS is top of the list at the minute, anybody got any feedback about the place?

boogie-nicey
28th Mar 2006, 13:39
Is there really any better place than BGS. I have recently begun my course with them and quite simply I'm already impressed. It's a practical, "meat and no fat" course that has been carefully planned. Unlike the horrendous Oxford course which seems to be the usual over the top approach by Oxford.

I give a firm thumbs up.

EGBKFLYER
28th Mar 2006, 14:22
Try a search. Try the Wannabes Forum too - Professional training. I was at BGS in 2004 and a friend is currently on his brush up this week. They are top notch - 'nuff said.

YYZ
28th Mar 2006, 14:42
Apart from all the info here on Prune already, BGS also have their own Forum, have a look about on there aswell.

I used BGS, no complaints.

YYZ

Hoop
28th Mar 2006, 17:07
cheers for the imput guys.

YYZ Are you an instucter at multiflight????

knik99
29th Mar 2006, 14:47
I just finished all 14 at bristol.gs, and all i can say, they are excellent!

No doubt, best place to do it distance learning!

bfato
29th Mar 2006, 16:39
I just finished all 14 at bristol.gs, and all i can say, they are excellent!

No doubt, best place to do it distance learning!

I'm with Bristol too and whilst they're jolly good, it's hard to say they're the best since I haven't studied with any of the others.

You'll often read such superlatives on pprune, and whether they be regarding ATPL theory, CPL or IR training, the same caveat would apply to them all.

High Wing Drifter
29th Mar 2006, 16:45
Bristol GS = painless, well organised, no fuss, effective and value for money. These things are evident without have the experience of other schools.
That's not to say the other schools any different. I will say however say this, at Gatwick it was apparent during the inevitible exam post mortems that the BGS crowd had the edge on preparedness. Mind you that was 18 months ago.

YYZ
29th Mar 2006, 17:59
HOOP, Im not an instructor there, but I do seem to be there a lot?

If you are there a lot you will know me.

YYZ

Fancy Navigator
29th Mar 2006, 20:23
What can I say about Bristol GS? One word....
Excellent!

FNav :ok:

JUST-local
29th Mar 2006, 22:24
Well done to anyone who has managed it, it is very hard work going through all that at home on your own!

Best of luck...........:8

John001
29th Mar 2006, 23:05
Top class tuition! I was there for module 1 in '03 and module 2 in' 04. PM me if I can be of any help.

John.

Hoop
30th Mar 2006, 08:32
I do have the choice to go residential but it would be usefull to keep working (I only work a hand full of hours a week leaving time to study)
so bristol was looking a good option. The only problem being I'm worried I may not be able to motivate myself enough for distance learning. Is it really that bad?????

boogie-nicey
30th Mar 2006, 09:18
During a period of naiviety back in 2005 I attempted to sign up for Oxford's Distance Learning. I thought I'd quite simply pick the closest place to me and though Oxford may not have been the best how far off the top could they be I thought. How wrong I was to be so complacent! Oxford made everything so much harder and I'm just talking about applying for the course. When I went down to visit them they had the usual "we're Oxford and we're doing YOU a big favour" air about themselves. Upon phoning them to join the course I was asked whether I had sent in the application form which I didn't realise you had to do and when I finally got hold of one it had quite of number of pages :uhoh: The information they wanted was excessive to say the least and coupled with other factors I gave up with them. I also looked inot AFT distance learning and they were also very polite, helpful, and genuinely had a course they wanted to teach rather impose themselves like Oxford. On each occassion the chaps over at Coventry's AFT were on the ball but they lacked just one thing a portable form of revision i.e. a CD-ROM (so that I can revise last night's study whilst at work the next day so the boss doesn't realise :) ). I recently contacted BGS and what I got was "we need an address and credit card number", wow :) What a breath of fresh air, when I contacted them again with regards to some technical support regarding their CD-ROM they were on the case from the start and got me on my way.

So yes I can say I've spoken to some providers and though it still comes down to personal preference and also circumstance I feel Bristol reflect the way a growing number of students feel. By this I mean a more practical, less patronising and understanding of their students' needs type of approach. Aviation in the UK has an unrealistic tendency to parallel the military "money no object" attitude but in reality many students have real concerns regarding time, resource, money and the expectation to attain their qualifications.

Whoops! Looks like my rant went on a bit too long :)

pipergirl
30th Mar 2006, 10:20
I finished all my exams in May last year and the guys and gals in Bristol GS were on the ball, very helpful and very supportive..esp when you were at home on the verge of throwing a folder threw a window!! haha:}

Excellent set-up and certainly would not have been able to get through the exams without them.

I choose Bristol for two reasons;
I narrowed it down to two options and I asked around the airline I work in and asked a lot of the pilots who they went through or who would they recommend and Bristol came up trumps.
I heard that the other school was very elitist and to be honest, I can't tolerate that type of 5h17e...just wanted a good learning environment and support

Bristol is top dog IMHO and you wouldn't be going wrong by going there..
I wish you all the best iwith whatever school you choose:ok:

GusHoneybun
30th Mar 2006, 12:51
It is hard to raise an objective judgement of a particular school as most people only attend one school.
My point is that you can read negative comments on Oxford, AFT, Guildhall and their notes or training. However, you rarely, if at all, read anything negative from BGS.

Alex, we salute you....

Of, and I went to Guildhall so have no axe to grind.

sps1013
30th Mar 2006, 18:14
BGS - quite simply the best by miles!

Did my ATPL grounds with them after studying with Oxford in the early days of JAA. They take the course, teach you everything you need to know with little "practical" extras then fire you into the exam to come out with the highest marks in the Country.

Need to say to no more - get the course booked.

sicky
30th Mar 2006, 19:21
bristol ground school it will be for me, judging by what i've just read in here!! great advice by everybody. however, being bristol GROUND school, i take it theyonly take you through the exams?
so you can only go with them if you're doing a modular course? is it distance learning only?

Andy_R
31st Mar 2006, 05:32
Sicky yes they are Distance Learning only. You attend a 2 week brush up course at the end of each of the 2 modules, just before the exams, if that helps :}

sicky
31st Mar 2006, 14:36
that does help, thanks andy :)

Hoop
5th Apr 2006, 10:47
great input, looks like Bristol here I come!!!!!

Biz
5th Apr 2006, 11:25
I'm currently looking at ATPL G/S for about 6 months time, and am considering two or three. It might interest you to know that a certain school based at Cranfield is offering distance learning courses for £1500. If money is a priority for you, then you may wish to take a look. Best of luck!

peppl
5th Apr 2006, 19:02
Hi - I know there has been lots said about Bristol Ground School but does anyone know how they compare to Ground Training Services? Difficult question as why would you have experience of both schools :hmm: ....worth a try though. Thanks.

helicopter-redeye
5th Apr 2006, 22:08
Quite a few of us around that have used GTS. V good school.

Different style to BGS - smaller classes/ very individual tuition.

Exam feedback excellent. BGS reputed to be the same (as are most UK schools now)

You can still use the BGS on line data base for additional practice questions. Many of us did.

h-r;)

peppl
6th Apr 2006, 14:22
Thanks very much for the info. How do the course notes compare to BGS?

Fair_Weather_Flyer
6th Apr 2006, 16:23
I ended up using both. No offence meant to BGS as Alex runs a very professional operation but I would go for GTS!

peppl
6th Apr 2006, 16:28
Thank you for the info.

helicopter-redeye
6th Apr 2006, 16:29
Never seen the BGS Notes so cannot comment (but no doubt somebody from Bristol will do so to fill in the gap).

The GTS notes are comprehensive and provide an effective reference library on all aspects of the subjects covered. Roger (the CI) notes that they are the most complete and comprehensive in the business, and have been built up over many years.

At the end of the day, you need to learn a load of stuff for life and a load of stuff to pass the exams.

My "exam notes" represent the feedback from Roger, Pete and Dave (+ Lionel & a couple of other specialists for us maverick helicopter types..) and are in big print in a single A4 notebook.

However this book, which is the output from the 2 X 2week courses, I now keep for posterity.

When I want to check a point I go back to the big folders in the cupboard.

Why choose? Use the best of both.

NB If this is getting boring for everybody else, feel free to PM or call me.

h-r;)

peppl
6th Apr 2006, 16:47
Cheers, I have pm'ed you.

rocketboots
6th Apr 2006, 17:32
Can`t comment on BGS JAR notes but used them for the national Navigation exams a few years back and they were very good.

Used GTS to sit my JAR exams and passed all my exams backed up by fantastic tuition, practise exams and spot on feedback. What you have to remember is that GTS instructors were around in the days when PPSC was the big player in the ground school field, and you will find that between these guys they have launched thousands of airline careers to date.

I can only comment as i have found, and to overlook GTS would be a bad mistake. If at the end of the courses the brain has more capacity to deal with even more questions, then as Red eye states enrol on the BGS online database, but bet you could pass purely on the GTS info!.

Just to add to this, GTS are now tied in with PAT at Bournemouth, which if you didn`t` already know has a fantastic name for modular flight training. So their you have it 2 fantastic organisations all rolled into one. Enjoy the course:} :}

WX Man
6th Apr 2006, 17:55
I didn't do a GTS course but I have had the priviledge of experience instruction from Dave Webb and Roger Henshaw when they were at PPSC. I also used GTS's notes to supplement the notes from my full time groundschool course (which was pretty good, but had some gaps: which GTS's notes more than adequately filled).

Basically, the GTS notes are brilliant. They are extremely clearly laid out; not too wordy (except where they need to be); very factual and the diagrams are very clear too.

All this backed up by probably about 100 years' aggregate (maybe more) of aviation experience from guys who really, really know how to put their subjects across.

It is also "interesting to note" ;) that Dave Webb is (or certainly used to be) a CAA consultant, writing some of the questions for JAA exams.

peppl
7th Apr 2006, 08:49
Thanks to all that have replied. Cheers.

3 D
7th Apr 2006, 22:03
Just to add my personal experience as I have just finished a course with GTS.

Dave and Roger are both obviously very experienced and are excellent instructors.

I agree with the previous replies, the notes are also top notch. Having worked in and around training for some time I am in a position of being able to compare them to most of the other schools notes.

I would certainly have no hesitation in recommending GTS.

A330 Dreamer
17th Apr 2006, 15:29
Hi,

1st thread - PPRUNE NEWBIE HERE!

i am hoping to start my ATPL study sometime within the next few months.
I've heard that Bristol are the trend setters in this field and would like any advice from anyone who has been there.

I've been in contact with BGS and I've been made aware that most students pay for module 1 then module 2 when they are ready for it opposed to paying the full £1900 - any comments here?

Also, I am expecting this to be the BIGGEST mountain I'll ever climb by studying for the ATPL's so can anyone give me a ball-park figure as to how much studying per week I'd need to do?

Thanks for any advice on the subject

A330

mcgoo
17th Apr 2006, 15:45
I'm with BGS, got the 2 week revision course next week, found the materials excellent, I just bought module 1 first and then just study at a pace you are comfortable with, then you project forward to estimate your completion date and ring up and book your revision course 2-3 months in advance. I would suggest you go to the BGS website and read the information on the forums there, that should answer any questions that you may have.

Deano777
17th Apr 2006, 16:14
Hiya A330

The search function is your best friend here on PPRuNe, there are a myriad of threads on this subject

Dean

pipertommy
18th Apr 2006, 07:26
You will be in good hands with Bristol!!:)

G-SEXY
18th Apr 2006, 10:26
Been there recently for Mod 1 brush up and they were great :ok:
Excellent notes and the 2 week brush up prepared me well for the exams.
Prepare yourself for some hard work!

CaptainKC
19th Apr 2006, 13:57
Hi

I have researched and researched and read all your threads and it looks like I will definitely be signing up for BGS. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how much money is needed for the accom and living expenses while on the brush up courses and exam sittings, I'm trying to budget so I don't fall short, you all know how it is.... all info appreciated

Cheers:)

BIGBAD
19th Apr 2006, 14:04
I did my ATPLs with BGS a few years ago and they were excellent !!

Top Banana :O

littco
19th Apr 2006, 14:54
Captain KC

I'm doing the brush up course there in May. I have booked a B&B which is £125/week and then £6.50 a night for dinner. I guess then you need to add in Lunch, although my B&B think they said they could provide a pack lunch as well.

As for exams, Think the nearest travel lodge is about £67 a night! I am planning on Commuting as can't really justify the expense especially when I only live 45 minutes from Gatwick

Hope this helps

G-SEXY
19th Apr 2006, 15:10
The place I stayed at was £125 per week, breakfast included and evening meals were extra but well worth it - its nice to come home after studying and not having to worry about finding something to eat! There are lots of good places to stay on the accomodation list on the BGS site.

My exams were at gatwick - managed to get a couple of nights at a saver rate which you can get off the website, £26 per night which was handy!

maxdrypower
19th Apr 2006, 16:05
I have done my research and have pretty much decided that BGS will be the way forward. Now I have addressed this in a subtley different way previously. I do not think i am that intelligent and am just wondering if the tutor types at BGS ever get pixxsed off answering stupid questions that I think Im bound to ask or is their service aimed at intellect as well as idiocy . Anybody here really struggeled with this studying if so how did you find the help from BGS . Overall from the impression I get from these forums I think the help would be good wheras others lime errrrm coughoxfordahem I feel may be alil "bugger off your not worthy "
Any thoughts

No such thing as stupid questions just stupid people!

aztec25
19th Apr 2006, 16:25
Maxdrypower
No need to worry the help and support from BGS is excellent. Take a look at the JALS Forum - Technical subjects area. You don't need to register to browse.

http://www.jals.co.uk/forum/

Also look at the archive to get an idea of the sorts of questions asked and the way thay have been answered.

http://www.jals.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php

I know Scroggs has said it many times on here, but seriously, if you use the search function on the JALS site you'll find that many of the questions you want to ask have been answered previously.

Good luck.

maxdrypower
24th Apr 2006, 12:47
just a quickie lad and lasses I have finnally done it and parted with 1100 squiddlies for mod 1. All references I have seen so far in the material have been for the CRP/5 I already have a CRP/1 from PPL . Is the CRP/1 sufficient or is it missing vital stuff and things needed for atpl ? Also i have one one those spiffing lil calculator things that do it all for you , are they verboten in exams or perfectly acceptable ?

Funkie
24th Apr 2006, 15:41
Hi,

You need the CRP5. It uses higher speeds, plus gives solutions to compressibility encountered at M0.4 +

Buy it and Baz will teach you how to really use it. - Avoid plastic brians!!!

Best of luck.

Funkie

LH2
13th Jun 2006, 10:43
Quick question. How do you sign up for the ATPL training with Bristol.gs? I thought there would be a link or form or something on their website but I can't find nothing at all.

Hope someone will clarify before I drop them an e-mail and embarrass myself :O Thanks.

On speed on profile
13th Jun 2006, 10:55
Phone them up, how is that embarassing? They are great people, a great school and just like most businesses, welcome customers. If they were to embarrass you for not knowing how to enrol then they would be doing themselves no favours and would leave you with a bad impression which you would be likely to pass onto other people. They wont do that!

Just ring them.

LH2
13th Jun 2006, 11:13
I meant "embarrassing" (tongue in cheek, of course) as in there being a big bold "SIGN UP" link somewhere obvious in their webpage and me missing it :cool: OK, so I take it it is a phone-up thing then. Thanks.

dwshimoda
13th Jun 2006, 11:34
LH2, the direct link is here:

http://213.48.96.23/atponline/jalo/index.asp

although it is fairly obvious from the Bristol.gs homepage how to get there!

Anyway, good luck :ok:

potkettleblack
13th Jun 2006, 11:42
That link is for 3 months access to the Bristol ATP website/question bank which is completely different to signing up for the Bristol GS per se. Incidentally the ATP question bank saved my bacon in the June exam sitting just gone. Word for word many of the actual questions and well worth the 50 quid in my opinion.

Mercenary Pilot
13th Jun 2006, 11:44
Hmmm. Maybe you should actually talk to them before signing up and commiting to an ATPL course anyway!?! :rolleyes:

LH2
13th Jun 2006, 12:27
OP. Just to let you know, got that sorted with a couple quick e-mails.

I guess I was expecting to see a link or something on their webpage and the lack of it threw me off---right after my afternoon siesta my wits weren't all there either :E

dwshimoda
13th Jun 2006, 12:30
You're correct, I'm guilty of not RTFQ as my instructors keep saying!

I had to phone up to get the software / find out about the course - there was no way of doing this online. But don't worry - they wever very friendly and helpful!

Re the £50 for three months - you're absolutely right - there is no way I would be without this resource - for less than the cost of one re-sit you can test yourself properly, and dip in and out whenever you have a few minutes.

Dick Whittingham
13th Jun 2006, 12:30
The web site is www.bristol.gs and the e-mail [email protected]. Phone UK (0)1934744944

Dick W

oreleon
1st Jul 2006, 12:23
Hello all,
I'm a PPL and I'm looking to begin studying the ATPL theory (Distance learning with pre-exam brush-up residential course). I've looked at quite a few providers and Bristol seems a good bet.
Has anyone had experiences with them. The study materials look good plus there is also the JAA question bank which I like the idea of.
Any thoughts, good or bad, would be gratefully recieved.

Chitty's Leader
1st Jul 2006, 17:13
If I may add another query, is there any benefit in buying the course as a whole or in two parts?

oreleon
1st Jul 2006, 18:29
very quiet today, must be the England game!!!

Olof
1st Jul 2006, 19:01
Try a search mate! Lots of info on the forum....

microfilter
1st Jul 2006, 19:02
Oreleon- I was at Oxford for the exams- its overrated and torture. Choose the cheapest provider and go with them if money is tight. You can purchase the Bristol Ground School database with all the questions on it- the majority of them are identical to the JAAs- of course you need to study the stuff- but with this database you are as good as through- many who haven't used it have found that they are resitting a couple of exams!

oreleon
1st Jul 2006, 19:15
Olaf, I did a search but couldn't find too much about the study materials.

Microfilter, seems to confirm my gut feeling.

Thank you both for the feedback.
I'm a little bit down at the moment. dodgy argentine ref and moody portuguese diving. Roll on Euro 2008!!!

High Wing Drifter
1st Jul 2006, 19:20
Bristol have this whole ATPL exam malarky sussed. I definately had the impression at Gatwick (a while back now, cripes!) that the Bristol bunch generally had the edge on preparedness.

I'm a little bit down at the moment. dodgy argentine ref and moody portuguese diving. Roll on Euro 2008!!!
Blame Rooney, he lost it and then we lost it.

oreleon
1st Jul 2006, 19:32
thanks HWD. Your views seems to agree with the opinion I've formed by looking about on PPRUNE, thanks again.

oreleon
1st Jul 2006, 19:51
I'm open to other opinions if anyone has them

pipertommy
1st Jul 2006, 22:39
I completed module with Bristol and i`m currently doing module 2 with them.Notes are excellent,the back up they give you is second to none via there website or just give them a ring and one of the instructors will talk through any queries:) I did find the two week brush up a challange,but thats what its all about,hard work to achieve a lifetime goal(take it all step by step).Saying that i really did enjoy the whole thing from the enviroment to the instructors stories.I have never read anything bad about Bristol on here which says alot.Good luck:}

mcgoo
1st Jul 2006, 23:20
I'm open to other opinions if anyone has them

i blame rooney for not doing enough, i would have knocked the smile off that smug pratt ronaldo, if ever there was a face to punch it's his!

oreleon
2nd Jul 2006, 09:57
Thank you all, my mind's made up. Cheers.

smith
2nd Jul 2006, 11:09
is there any benefit in buying the course as a whole or in two parts?

in two parts

i) you only have to pay half the money straight away

ii) if you dont like it you dont have to continue

iii) the money is better in your bank account gaining interest, while waiting to complete the first module.

GazDeLuxe
2nd Jul 2006, 11:16
I am even taking the course here in Holland, at Orbit Groundschool. Looking at Bristol's website it shows that one can now also do the course in France(!) Germany, Scandinavia, Iceland, Greece, etc. It seems to be expanding rapidly, and that says something aboutthe success of the course I guess :) Revision course module I next week, looking forward to it!

Eurotraveller
2nd Jul 2006, 12:02
I did Module One with them recently, now doing Module Two, can't recommend them highly enough. The study materials are top notch, fantastic back up during the distance learning phase is available, and the brush up course whilst certainly hard work clarifies and consolidates all the learning really well, the instructors are fantastic and certainly know their stuff. The feedback questions you get at Bristol are also extremely helpful. The whole experience would have been a whole lot more stressful for me had I not had Bristol's expertise behind me, and no I promise I don't work for Bristol groundschool!!!

Also worth mentioning I went to Bristol based on my instructor's recommendations, who acted on HIS instructor's recommendation, and if I ever become an instructor I will certainly be recommending it as well!!

microfilter
3rd Jul 2006, 20:01
I was at OAT and God, how I wish i had gone to Bristol- if you are in ANY WAY undecided on which school to attend- pm me for the truth on Oxford and SAVE YOUR CASH.....

Pilotdom
3rd Jul 2006, 23:48
Hi Guys

Have read this thread with interest. Ive looked at the bristol GS website indepth and also searched on here for answers to this question but as yet have yet to find a clarifying answer......

I want to do the modular route to an atpl and want to use bristol GS for the exams. Im about to finish my PPL with around 48 hours. Can i start the study for the exams straight away or do I need to build hours first? Its says on BGS website that to do the skills test you need 150 hours however nothing about hours needed before starting study.

Many thanks in advance and good luck to all who are doimg it already!

Dom

EGCC4284
4th Jul 2006, 01:19
You have 18 months from sitting first exam to completed them all.

You then have 36 months from passing last exam to completing your IR or the exam passes downgrade ???? or you have to sit them again, not sure which it is.

You don't want to be wasting time hour building after sitting ATPLs for you to start your CPL training as the clock will be ticking away.

Please can someone clarify my interpretation.

potkettleblack
4th Jul 2006, 08:42
Depends on how long you intend to take doing your hour building really. Many of the people I know went out to the US and did 100 hours over a month or so which isn't really that long in the scheme of things. If however you intend to do an hour here and there somewhere in the UK then I can see the problem.

boogie-nicey
4th Jul 2006, 10:58
I know this is off topic but how many questions are there in the JAA Central Question Bank and how does that compare to the Bristol ATPonline question bank?

Are the number of questions equally divided amongst the subjects or weighted as appropriate i.e. Met has more than say flight planning ....?

As always thanks for the input.:ok:

Mercenary Pilot
4th Jul 2006, 11:26
I'll take an educated guess at around 8000 - 10000 questions. No idea how this compares with BGS ATP online, as it wasnt about when i did mine. The questions are not divided equally as some subjects (think AGK) are much bigger than others (say VFR Comms).

BitMoreRightRudder
4th Jul 2006, 12:28
Come on guys we all know the main reason to go to BGS is to hear the tales of the first class menu at Cathay, giant CBs in SA and to get heckled by Baz for using a calculator.;)

potkettleblack
4th Jul 2006, 12:38
I was feeling generous so went through the laborious task of running a search in the BGS ATP online database:) The following is the current (as of today) number of questions:-

Air Law - 435
Systems - 652
Instruments - 487
M&B - 165
Performance - 346
Flight Planning - 374
Human Perf - 818
MET - 982
G/Nav - 518
R/Nav - 339
Ops - 370
POF - 617
VFR comms - 116
IFR comms - 118

It changes on a regular daily basis from what I can see having used it for the past 3 months or so. You will come across the odd duplicated question and if you take the time to post in the BGS forums then they get removed. Also new questions are thrown in as Bristol gets updated feedback from its students etc.

High Wing Drifter
4th Jul 2006, 12:40
Come on guys we all know the main reason to go to BGS is to hear the tales of the first class menu at Cathay, giant CBs in SA and to get heckled by Baz for using a calculator.
Ah yes, the lobster in a light currey sauce. Hehe - somethings never change. Is Alex still donig his GPWS impressions?

BitMoreRightRudder
4th Jul 2006, 12:52
He was back when I was there but the rumour on the grapevine is that he has rolled out a few new ones in recent times and he now does the full repertoire of the TCAS II callouts including the infamous "TCAS system test - OK". DVD out in time for XMAS.:E

Pilotdom
4th Jul 2006, 21:40
During the revision weeks, is the 2 week revision 2 solid weeks or do you get the weekend off?

littco
4th Jul 2006, 22:02
Well you don't have classes on the Saturday and Sunday, but you will be cathing up on the work from Wednesday! I took the Saturday night of with most of the others, but in all honestly you will be working over the weekend on pratice papers and feedback questions.

There is no way you could do all the work they give you and have the weekend off...

I was working most nights till gone 12pm.. But for the 2 weeks it's well worth the effort.

Pilotdom
4th Jul 2006, 22:09
I Suppose what i meant was in terms of accomodation do most people stay for the full 2 weeks or go home at the weekend and then back on the monday.?

littco
4th Jul 2006, 22:30
Sorry..

I personally stayed and so did most the others , mainly because of the distance from home factor.. But Yes some did go home, especially those with families..

Nothing stopping you going home on the Friday evening and coming back Monday morning.

Eurotraveller
5th Jul 2006, 09:28
Pilotdom,

I went home at weekend, it's OK but be prepared to do some work at home, you will need to in order to keep up with the workload. It's quite easy to let it overtake you and before you know it you've got loads of papers to do in one night.

I would say if you want/need to go home at weekend you can do it but be prepared to work whilst you're there. To be honest in mod 2 I will probably stay.

Eurotraveller

Pilotdom
5th Jul 2006, 11:37
Cheers for the advice guys.

I was already planning on the fact that I would have to do some work at home if I traveled back at the weekend.

Can anyone give an indication as to how far Bristol.gs is from the airport at bristol? Are there good transport links to BGS from the airport,its just I could fly down from Leeds and fly back on friday evening which would be better than driving!

Dom

littco
5th Jul 2006, 12:08
pretty sure it's about 15 miles to the airport and pretty sure there is a bus you can get, possibly a taxi..

no sponsor
5th Jul 2006, 12:19
You'll need the weekends to tackle the questions and go over things again and again. For module 1 I went home, but for module 2 I stayed put in the digs near the school.

My advice is not to waste time travelling long distances; time is better spent revising hard!

The weekend before the week of exams is critical too in order to get through everything.

WingRotor
7th Jul 2006, 01:09
Anybody have an idea which one is better for Helicopter ATPL training?

qnh78
21st Aug 2006, 18:31
Hi,

I looking for your opinions about Bristol ATPL distance theory. How fast you did it (the both modules)? Was the material good? How the 2 + 2 weeks sittings? Any change to have theory part done in 8 months? Did you fly your CPL, ME/IR in Spain (I'm going to do that maybe)? If you did, did you get UK CAA licence or the Spanish one?

I'm working full time during 8-16 and decided to study every day 17-20 and during weekends 6-8 hours per day. How you did it and what was the most difficult for you regarding reading? Does Bristol give you a bunch of training questions for each CAA exams?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
QNH

phillpot
21st Aug 2006, 20:37
Bristol ground school is very good Alex is a regular contributor here on pprune, I enrolled for the course and found the study materials support etc to be very good. However like you I was working full time, granted longer hours unlike the ppl exams which I had sat a few months earlier you have to take the ATPLs in blocks not one at a time.

Personally I found trying to digest the massive amounts of information after a ten hour day impossible, studying in the evening is not the best "Brain time" if I remember correctly its around 650hrs for each module thats alot of evenings ,for me it didnt work so Ive opted for a Full time course which costs roughly the same and should reduce the time ( I hope) im sure that people have done it in 8 months but as the full time course is six months and thats full time in a classroom enviroment I would guess that 8 months is perhaps optimistic.

All that said it was no reflection on Bristols sylabus just the time available to me and the massive amount of information to learn.

Good luck !:O

sam34
23rd Aug 2006, 21:48
hello!

I have the CD of Bristol! it is very good! the animation help you to understand, and the text is easy to read, it give you the essential for the questions.
The price is hight I think... :bored:
But for the subject like airframe and system, principles of flight, météo and instrument, the Cd is very helpful with these animation.
I am studying atpl in france with supports in black and white, no animation, no photos with color etc and I can tell you that it sometimes is difficult to imagine the operation of devices etc.
So I bought this CD to help me to understand.
Even through it is expensive, it can help you all your career . :}

Hour Builder
5th Sep 2006, 18:28
Hello fellow wanabees

I am just starting ATPL (A) distance learning theory course with bristol, and am just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. I'd like to confer with someone sometimes before submitting my progress tests.

Anyone else in my position looking for a friend?

HB

Finals19
6th Sep 2006, 07:21
Just to follow on from another question a few posts back - I am looking at converting my Canadian CPL/MEIR to JAA and doing the BGS route - would do the distance learning on a "full time" basis, calculating 5 hours a day Mon-Fri (figured this would be a comfortable hour level per day due to the information that needs to be absorbed)

That would make 25 hours a week. Someone said the modules work out at about 650hrs each of study??? So am I realistically looking at a year to get all the study and exams done at this rate?

Just a question for all you BGS'ers who have already been there and done that. Thanks :ok:

potkettleblack
6th Sep 2006, 07:28
I didn't go to Bristol but here is my experience of doing it on a self study basis. Its a bit hard to say how long it will take as it is down to the individual. Some of the subjects will take no time at all to study (eg: the 2 comms) whereas others like MET, GNAV or Air Law can be literally ball aching to get through the volume of information you need to retain. It will also depend on your approach to study. I hit the books making notes as I went and then about 1.5 months before my exam sitting I was on the Bristol Online database going over and over and over and over (get the picture) the questions until I was getting on average >90% in the mock exams. Then hit the brush up course and kept on the database at nights in between doing all the homework that you will be set. Got me through with a pretty high average.

Dick Whittingham
6th Sep 2006, 09:21
HOUR BUILDER

Try our (BGS) in-house student to student forum

Dick W

planeshipcar
13th Sep 2006, 17:06
Are the progress test questions for BGS the same as what are in the on line questions bank or are there a lot more?

buggingout
13th Sep 2006, 17:32
alot more in the online QB........it's really, really good for getting you through the exams. Well worth the cash but still not a substitute for learning the subjects, just a damn good bonus when you get to the final few weeks before the exams :eek:

you get the additional questions on paper at bristol (you're homework each night!) but the online QB allows you to go through them much quicker by simply clicking on the answer and finding out if you got it right......good for "learning / spotting" questions and answers

planeshipcar
13th Sep 2006, 17:42
I've looked everywhere, but can't seem to find a link address to the database.

Is it on the BGS website?

potkettleblack
13th Sep 2006, 17:45
http://213.48.96.23/atponline/jalo/index.asp

PS: The forums are really useful on the BGS website as well - and best of all they are free. Saw many of the questions/solutions discussed there in the exams earlier this year. Was a good last minute refresher to go through that and see any unusual/new types of questions that I hadn't covered previously.

BlueRobin
13th Sep 2006, 17:51
or http://atponline.gs if you can't remember the numbers :E

There's not much there to describe it. Email the sales mail link on that pages with questions and Jill will answer you.

Hour Builder
13th Sep 2006, 19:02
alot more in the online QB........it's really, really good for getting you through the exams. Well worth the cash but still not a substitute for learning the subjects, just a damn good bonus when you get to the final few weeks before the exams :eek:
you get the additional questions on paper at bristol (you're homework each night!) but the online QB allows you to go through them much quicker by simply clicking on the answer and finding out if you got it right......good for "learning / spotting" questions and answers

Have I heard something like when you go to the 2 week refresher week, a few people can share the cost of the online QB?

mcgoo
13th Sep 2006, 19:07
Have I heard something like when you go to the 2 week refresher week, a few people can share the cost of the online QB?

not much point doing that, you will not have much time to use it with the amount of work they give you on the brush up courses!

Deano777
13th Sep 2006, 21:07
Well if you use me as a case study you wont have any time when you're on the brush-up

BlueRobin
14th Sep 2006, 06:45

Your access is logged so if it looks like you are sharing the cost (multiple logins, lots of different IPs), your account will be pulled.

Not sure if there's an exception to their brushees.

Antonio Montana
15th Sep 2006, 18:21
Hourbuilder,
50 Quid, for three months access, you must be mad not to go for it. If you consider the cost of just one resit...... the price is worth it, I should know once i was in your position ans now drive a B737.

Hour Builder
16th Sep 2006, 19:52
Hourbuilder,
50 Quid, for three months access, you must be mad not to go for it. If you consider the cost of just one resit...... the price is worth it, I should know once i was in your position ans now drive a B737.
Very good point.
Is this really sad, and I know I've only done the first 2 frames of mod 1, but does anyone else actually enjoy studying the ATPL's?

RoosterBooster
17th Sep 2006, 20:01
Hi ya all,

What's the best way to go through all the questions one by one. I've tried it before but found that it does it in a random way, so you don't know where you are in relation to numbers. I'd like to go through them from start to finish.

Cheers.

RB

Hour Builder
17th Sep 2006, 20:13
when i do the questions i ring the right answer. having then done the online test, i then complete the answer sheet in the folders so i have all the right answers to hand....don't suppose that helps you though.

HB

NavPilot
18th Sep 2006, 20:36
Is it really worth going thru the Online QB, AFTER the entire course/module, and the associated progress tests, AND the 2 week brush up's..? There's got to be repetition...or am i missing a piece..?

planeshipcar
21st Sep 2006, 13:55
I have to say BGS seems to be great. I've just started - the whole course is clearly worked out. I'm really pleased as everything is explained from scratch (it's been sometime since ppl for me and I've gone rusty!)

Fingers crossed I'll get the results. Cheeers.

Finals19
21st Sep 2006, 22:42
I recently received the disc in the post that outlines the course at BGS. I have to say that I was very impressed - the presentation is very professionally put together. I live in Vancouver and after my initial email it arrived in the post within about 5 days. This is in contrast to OATS who in reply to my enquiry emailed me a rather basic .pdf attachment outlining the course content. No postal reply at all or any blurb sent to me which I found rather unimpressive.

Looks like I may well embark down the BGS route. I will have my weekdays free, so am hoping to crack it in about 8-9 months. :ok:

chester2005
1st Dec 2006, 00:28
Hi there

Hopefully someone will know the answer to this question.
I am studying DL ATPL(H) with OAT and am only supposed to be doing 13 exams , 12 FW and 1 Rotary.
with OAT you skip FW PoF and Perf.

I have subscribed to Bristol GS ATPonline and on their ATPL(H) interim exam study questions they have a performance paper but on their ATPL(H) course they do not.

Why do Bristol study for a Perf exam in their interim course and OAT do not?

According to Lasors i only have to do 13 exams no perf paper.

Thanks in advance for your replies to unconfuse me .

Chester:ok:

BlueRobin
1st Dec 2006, 01:23
Chester, you're better off asking this on their forum http://jals.co.uk/forum. Wouldn't want you picking the wrong set of questions := :)

flyingcamel
1st Dec 2006, 19:34
The online BGS question bank is excellent. I can honestly say that it was very representative of the exam questions when I did my 2nd set of JAA exams a few months ago. I just wished I'd discovered it for my first set!

EGBKFLYER
3rd Dec 2006, 08:44
Sorry for the slight thread hijack - is it true that Ken is leaving BGS? Heard a rumour during the week...

Happy Wanderer
3rd Dec 2006, 09:16
Hiya,

Just another 'endorsee' of BGS here. Materials are generally very good, and the online forum is particularly useful indeed for hints and tips, or just for a reassuring "keep in there".

I started with BGS in early September, doing the course full-time at home. It's been a real slog (even doing it FT) but have to say that with the possible exception of Instruments (much too much detail IMHO), I've actually enjoyed it. I'm just about to hit the last frame, then it's the online QB until the brush-up in Jan.

I get a sense that the brush-up is the all-important element of the course - that's where you learn what you need to do to pass the blessed exams.

Highly recommended.

HW

boogie-nicey
4th Dec 2006, 09:44
The brush up really is worth it's weight in gold and yep it's SIGNIFICANT. Regardless of home study, progress tests, reading through the material for the upteen'th time won't prepare you for the exams as much as the classroom component of the course. :)

gernie
4th Dec 2006, 14:41
Hiya,
I´m a spanish student looking forward to begin my studies in the US, to became a pilot. I found one school in Florida (European Flight Training) but they dont have ground school. They have a program that consists in that while you work as instructor, you study the ATPL , to maximize the time. As I seen in the forums, most of their students are doing the Bristol Distance Learning Program or something like this to get the ATPL done...
As I have seen in this Thread, BGS seems to be a good place and many people is recommending it. But my question is, do a few cd's and books can really substitute 800hours of classes that are given normally in any European school?

I think doing the distance learning has to be much harder than attend daily for 6 or 8 months to a ground school with teachers.
Someone who has been in EFT doing the ATPL with Bristol? Or just someone who could comment his experience about doing the ATPL via Bristol?
Any info will be welcome! :ok:

mcgoo
4th Dec 2006, 16:17
Lots of people complete the ATPL exams with BGS while holding down full time jobs, the notes are great and you can get plenty of support via the website forum.

LightspeedS
4th Dec 2006, 17:22
Are the FAA ATPL exams very different to the JAA ones? I would like to begin to study the theory but as I have not yet decided whether to go for training in the US or Europe.

What are the best books and CDs to buy (for PPL, CPL and ATPL?)

Vortex Thing
6th Dec 2006, 01:17
My only one complaint about BGS was some of Noush's posters were a bit risque.:ok: :D

The one thing I wish I had done when I went there some time ago was taken more opportunity to thank Alex and his gang for an outstanding course.

That'll be a tenner or well send the 80s photo in Alex..

VT (Yes alex I am still flying until I die or they find someone better)

Bandit650
7th Dec 2006, 10:02
Hi All

re: the computer based training CDROM packaged with the ATPL study pack...I am thinking about buying it in isolation (studying with another provider) as it looks so good - particularly the animations / diagrams. Can anyone offer an opinion as to how helpful this element of the package is? and if its worth 350quid:eek:

Thanks!

ATPLTrainee
7th Dec 2006, 14:54
Don´t know about the package but the feedback question database which is 60quid for 3 months entry to it is invaluable, some people argue you could pass the exams just through studying the answers to the questions, i wouldn´t advocate that of course.

Flying Spaniard
29th Apr 2007, 07:47
Hi there,
Has anyone got experiences that they care to share about Bristol GS's CBT? can it completely replace the actual books? would that be a wise thing to consider?
Thanks!

dartagnan
29th Apr 2007, 09:14
certainly!!

they use the same questions uses for the exam.based on feedback!

BlueRobin
29th Apr 2007, 09:48
I think Mr F Spainard was asking if their CBT (computer-based training) package is as good or better than the paper format, rather than the online question bank.

Airbus38
29th Apr 2007, 10:13
Alex Whittingham will probably be able to confirm this, but I believe the new v5 software is designed to be viewed as the central part of the distance learning course.

In addition to structured lessons and tests it includes everything contained in the paper manuals, as well as many additional animations etc.

So I guess, in answer to the original post, yes, that's the idea.

BlueRobin
29th Apr 2007, 11:50
There's a thread on V5 running here:
http://jals.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5071

Flying Spaniard
29th Apr 2007, 12:14
Thank you all for responding so quickly!
Thats awesome, so i can just follow the CBT instead of having the heavy books.

The only problem i might have is that i have noticed lately that whenever i try and read material online like e-books etc I don't always seem to comprehend what is being said, i have always been better with reading from paper than of a screen. Is this a common phenomena?

Cheers

Alex Whittingham
29th Apr 2007, 20:31
Its always easier to read text in a book. Actually, educational theory says the most effective learning is multi-channel, in other words books, CBT, audio and videos all at once.

HomerJay
7th Aug 2007, 21:18
The question bank though, why do you only get 3 months access does anyone know?

XL319
7th Aug 2007, 21:48
I'm torn between BGS and CATS as to which provider i go with....both heard very good reports. One thing CATS has going for it is the online system they are now using, however also heard BGS has a great reputation. Being in the north east 2 problems arise for me....firstly the amount of money i'll have to pay for the brush up/revision weeks and secondly the level of support if i hit a hard subject (mass & balance springs to mind).

Arghhhh :ugh::{:} decisions decisions

Frank Furillo
9th Aug 2007, 05:53
XL319,
I'm and ex Bristol student living in the North West.
I found that if I had any problems I could call the school and would get help either from ALex or any of the instructors. Also there is the forum which is worth its weight in gold.
The brush up well there is some vfery good accomodation which is reasonable avaiable.
Hop this helps and good luck

Currymonster
10th Aug 2007, 20:50
I am from the North West and just finished my ATPL exams with Bristol, cant recommend it enough if they can get me through the ATPL exams... They are hard work but achievable if you are prepared for the work. Bristol will more than prepare you for it..

EGCC4284
11th Aug 2007, 09:58
I had as friend at my house last week who was doing a correspondence with some company at Bournemouth. He looked at my Bristol Ground School books from 3 years back and said they were laid out better text wise and more friendly to read.

The CBT from Bristol is brilliant.

I use to read from the books with the CBT on my PC ready to look at all the moving animations that made things a bit easier to understand.

The 2 week brush up courses are hard work but great fun.

When I was there in 2004, the was 3 classes taking place with about 20 in a class.

I believe that Bristol are now doing 2 2 week brush courses a month now due to demand. What does that say.

Thanks Alex for what all your guys did for me. Never thought I would get through those exams. They made the time at Bristol enjoyable.

Bristol's feedback system is what got me through the exams.

I am also from Manchester.

Shame you cannot do the exams at Silsoe anymore. What a great place that was.

Alex, I flew my first passenger flights this week out of Cardiff, 737 Thomsonfly. (3 flights this week) Menorca, Malaga and Faro

The views over the Severn estuary as we come back in each dinnertime were amazing.

Constant glide from 36,000 feet to Cardiff rwy 30

The views of London from 26,000 feet, breath taking.

Cardiff, nice airport. Very impressed.

Its all still a dream to me. Hope it stays that way.

Best of luck all wannabe's

Never give up, be positive, dreams can come true.

Regards EGCC4284, aged 40 next week. less than 500 hours.

Final note. Bristol Ground School should be your first choice without doubt.

EGCC4284
16th Mar 2013, 12:17
Gosh

Nearly 6 years later

Now aged 45 and 3600 hours total.

1300 hours on the 737s and 1900 hours on 320s. How life moves on.

I count myself very very lucky to have a job.

Bristol Ground School are a tops and without question the one you must go with.