PDA

View Full Version : Reduction of CPL Instrument hours

gazman21
17th Apr 2006, 14:27
Hi,
Just wondering if anybody can fill me in on the exact instrument flying requirements for the JAA CPL course.Lasors does say a holder of a "valid" instrument rating shall be fully credited towards the dual instrument time,10 hrs I believe.I hold an FAA IR and would like to know if this qualifies as a so-called "valid" rating, giving me a reduction in terms of flying for the CPL course.
Gazman21

no sponsor
17th Apr 2006, 14:56
If you have an IR already, the CPL course is a 15hr course, and all the time must be in the aircraft.

If you only have a PPL, the CPL is a 25hr course, but 5hrs can be done in a FNPT1 or II simulator.

The dispensation is due to the fact that you are assumed not to need any instrument training time.

BillieBob
17th Apr 2006, 16:09
JAR-FCL 1.005(a)(2) states:

"Whenever licences, ratings, authorisations, approvals or certificates are mentioned in JAR–FCL, these are meant to be licences, ratings, authorisations, approvals or certificates issued in accordance with JAR–FCL. In all other cases these documents are specified as e.g. ICAO or national licences."

Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 1.160 & 1.165(a)(4) states

"Applicants holding a valid IR(A) shall be fully credited towards the dual instrument instruction time."

Since this latter does not refer specifically to an ICAO or national IR, it means one issued in accordance with JAR-FCL. An FAA IR, therefore, does not count.