PDA

View Full Version : Catering on Cargo Flights?

20milesout
16th Apr 2006, 22:40
Do freighters have kind of a kitchenette or is it just sandwiches and salad on the flight deck? anyone?
thank you

GBALU53
16th Apr 2006, 23:01
If the aircraft was converted from a pax aircraft they may keep the galley in.

This i would think would only apply for freighters doing long sectors.:ok:

But you would not have a trolly dolly bring up the hot lunch but a bit of the d.i.y for a loadmaster???

mutt
17th Apr 2006, 03:57
Our cargo aircraft have a galley, they fly with massive amounts of food regardless of the sector length or number of crew!!

The joys of working for a non-profit organization :)

Mutt

Daysleeper
17th Apr 2006, 10:09
Salad

on a freighter :{

We are lucky if there is a teabag on board that hasen't been used twice :\

20milesout
17th Apr 2006, 20:13
Thank you everybody for your replies. what i understand is that:
-it might be nice to fly a converted paxcraft on long sectors (thx, GBALU53)
-it is better to fly for a non-profit organization, for you have a galley and all it takes in your cargo compartment (thx, mutt)
-you better ask your girl to do you coffee and sandwiches before you go to work (thx, Daysleeper)
I think you cargo pros are doing quite a job !

Dream Land
18th Apr 2006, 11:44
I used to jump seat on Fed Ex, they would really spoil you, more food than you could possibly eat, big first class seats and sometimes a portable mattress if they weren't using it!:)

Newforest
18th Apr 2006, 12:39
I used to jump seat on Fed Ex

Slightly at a tangent to the subject, approximately how many flights per day do Fed Ex have across the Atlantic?

747dieseldude
18th Apr 2006, 12:46
We have a full working galley, and food according to sector length: full meals or even 2 meals for long sectors, and sometimes just sandwiches for a short night-sector.
Also we have business class seats and 3 beds.

JamesA
23rd Apr 2006, 20:56
20miles out,
I have worked several cargo carriers and the food has ranged from 'better than first class' to 'don't even bother to look in the box'
At one company, the crews were so disgusted with the catering, the management was invited to lunch - you've guessed it - they were served the in flight 'meals' as per crew standard. The catering went out of this world after that. Unfortunately, the company went out of business.
So when you see a freight crew, are they roley poleys or slim, hungry types? you can figure out the feeding arrangements yourself.

747DD,
From the description, it sound as though you have two of our old machines, pity the company didn't look after them, they were good trucks.

Dream Land
24th Apr 2006, 17:16
Don't know how many flights going across, the one I normally used left around 9pm from STN.

20milesout
29th Apr 2006, 21:30
I think I got an idea now ... :)

Thank you guys again !