PDA

View Full Version : Medic Alert

brockenspectre
16th Apr 2006, 22:31
In the past six months I have had to start a for-life regime of anti-hypertension medication. I am a coeliac (a dietary thing) and am totally allergic to maxolon and other anti-emetic medications. I am also in the throes right now of a negative reaction to anaesthesia.

A chum referred me to the Medicalert website and suggested that I should consider joining.

What do prooners think of this service? Is it a good idea? Is it something that is recognised round the world? As a single person, living alone, I don't want to over-dwell on my (minor) medical problems, but having been hospitalised a few times over the past months and having some allergies/issues I do want to make sure I take sensible measures. I travel to the USA/overseas a few times a year but otherwise am based in UK.

Thanks in advance for feedback :ok:

ThreadBaron
18th Apr 2006, 07:16
Brocky

I have passing knowledge of Medic-alert and have, over the years had quite a number of colleagues who were members and wore the bracelet. All spoke very highly of it and, over the years as a first-aider, the bracelet was often the first thing I looked for if I could see no obvious cause for a person's 'distress'.

Seat1APlease
18th Apr 2006, 09:10
You can either get a bracelet or a neck pendant which I have, which is a little less obvious, but also useful in a real emergency.
If you suffer allergic reactions then these can be very severe and the bracelet/necklace gives a freephone number which can be used worldwide for doctors/hospitals to get your confidential records listing what you are allergic to.
If you are unconscious It is obviously better to know before they give you any medication what you can and cannot handle. It costs about £15 a year for registration and I guess it's like any other form of insurance, if you don't need it then it is money wasted, but on the other hand it could save your life!

Loose rivets
19th Apr 2006, 00:03
B Check your PMs R

DX Wombat
23rd Apr 2006, 00:05
If you decide to join then may I suggest you get the pendant for, as one (rather gruesome) A&E Consultant once pointed out to me, it is possible to lose an arm in an accident and with it the bracelet, but if you are unfortunate enough to be decapitated there is nothing which could be done for you anyway.